sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: OKIE's

Wewoka here. Detecting since 65. Still have my D-Tex that I bought off Bill Mahan in person.

kenley - Do you have any stories about detecting back in the old days? I've heard that the first guys to hit the parks back in the 60's really cleaned up. A few years ago I talked to a guy up in Michigan that detected some of the parks and other public areas back in the 60's; he said the I H cents were everywhere.

Any stories about the old Deputy Marshall?

Monty - You got that new Safari figured out yet?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No sharpshooter, haven't got to spend enough time with it I guess. I'm finding screw off pop lids consistently. So if you need any of those just call me! :wink: Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Monty said:
Didja' ever notice that since you started metal detecting you habitually go around looking at the ground no matter where you might be? My wife is always asking, "What are you looking for"? I always have to come back with "Uh...nothing"! but I really mean, "Anything"! Monty

Thinking about a white cane. :wink: That way, I've got an excuse when I bump into things while looking down. :D

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi all. I'm up in the panhandle. Been struck with the fever again! Just lettin ya know there is one more swinging away in Okla. :)

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, Please forgive me in advance but I'm not actually from OK. I live 18 miles North in Coldwater, Kansas. I'm in Woodward weekly though. Have spent some time swinging over Boiling Springs Park and around the Cimarron River area East of Buffalo. Absolutely gorgeous country.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't Coldwater get wiped out by a tornado last year? I use to go prairie dog shooting and pheasant hunting around Coldwater. The D.A. at the time Doug something use to invite me up to hunt with him. He had one withererd arm but sure could shoot a shotgun! Haven't been up that way in several years though. Welcome to the OKie forum, we don't discriminate unless you are from Texas! :wink: :D Monty

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The tornado was about 20 miles North of Coldwater, in Greensburg. Thanks for the welcome. :) Lots of useful information here.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, I've been there too, just got 'em mixed up. I think the DA lived in Greensburg also. Monty

SEHunter

Feb 13, 2009

SE OK near Clayton. Not found a lot yet, but I'm new to MD'ing so I'm sure it will come. I'd love to find just about anything at this point :icon_pirat:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many of us, much like me can't take the cold as we once could so we tend to go into hibernation until spring! Check around for clubs that sport metal detecting. There are several scattered about the state. Would be nice if they all got together and had one giant statewide hunt wouldn't it? Monty

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer

Well as life turns out, as it usually does on its own, the family and I will be moving to Guthrie in the next couple of weeks from Wisconsin. My wife has family there and a change is in order. So I will be looking for hunting buddies and places to hunt. The only place that I know of right off the bat are the "flats" in Guthrie. Looking forward to meeting some of you and hanging out in this thread.

By the way, Allan, I am the one that came in just before x-mass and bought a Whites MXT300 (the out of state guy).

HH
Phil

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome Phil. Gutherie was the state capital until OKC stole it from them way back in the early days of statehood. There's a lot of history there. Check around and talk to some old timers and you'll find out a lot. Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Monty, here's a pic of some of my relatives taken in eastern Oklahoma around 1913. We didn't all go around waving guns all the time. Sometimes we kept them hid out of sight in our waistband! I'll come visit Oklahoma in May, and I hope ya'll got the weather under control!

Attachments

• uncle joe.jpg
    uncle joe.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 637

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

RGINN
Not a bad lookin' bunch. However, I'm not sure I'd buy a used car from any of 'em. Weather was in the mid 70's yesterday out here in Western Oklahoma. It's 24 however right now. Oh well, that's Oklahoma.
docmann

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good looking crew for the times. The shined boots tell me that was their Sunday go to meetin' clothes. I don't have any really old pictures of my forefathers but wish I did. They were all farmers, preachers or bootleggers, not necessarily in that order. Nearly all my great-greats were here before OK became a state. Real "Sooners", most married to Indian women. I've enough Cherokee blood to be on the rolls but my stupid kinfolk never signed up. My Grandpa told me his dad and a lot of Indian people thought it was some kind of a government scheme to keep track of all the Indians, so thousands never signed up out of sheer suspicion. The thinking was that the Federal Government had broken every treaty and lied every time for a hundred years, so why should this time be different? By the time the next generation came along it was too late. If you come through Tulsa area, let me know ahead of time and we'll get a cold drink or some coffe at least. Monty

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.

Allan,

I stopped by the store monday and had a good visit with your dad. For those who haven't been by Wayne's Detector Sales in OKC it's worth the time to stop in and take a look. There's a good selection of books and other items. I even found a book for my collection and I thought I had just about every book known to man. LOL

http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008

I was born in Okmulgee, stolen by gypsies and transported to NY, as soon as I was able and could afford the move, went back to Oklahoma...got transferred out to Texas....
Monty, don't move to Austin area, just too wierd, politicians and NY'ers... :D
If you do come to Texas we will allow you to come in and even stay, just don't admit to being from Ok...rofl

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a T shirt from my daughter who lives in Pflugergille., between Red Rock and Austin. It says," Pflugerville, between a rock and a weird place"! If I should make such a move, once a year I would put on my OU Sooners T-shirt and Hat and sit on the front porch with my shotgun and watch the OU/Texas game! I hates them damn Longhorns with a passion! I'm sure the feeling is mutual! :wink: Montry

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008

Monty, when I moved back to Okc, we lived at lowest end of the town, just north of the 240 loop....we lived there from '77 to '80, the Barry Switzer years, i"ve always rooted for OU...If I get the lotto down here in Texas, I will buy a home in Oklahoma, probably on the bluffs of the Red River...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread