Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OKIE's

Thanks for the welcome Monty. You're right about the cold, and the first winter I was here I called my dad in Hydro and told him we didn't know what cold was. 15 below and no wind chill. The best thing about here, NO CHIGGERS! Not a one. It's too far north and the elevation is over 9,000 ft. No snakes either. Move to Texas if you want to, just don't become one. (ha-ha, I'm 1/8 Texan) I'd like to know if any of the other folks on here have any information or done any field work in the area of Cold Springs and Camp Radziminski down by Mt. Park. Particularly the Twin Mountains area. I spent a lot of time down there and came up with a few things. See ya.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

People are so tight lipped here you never know what is going on or where. Had one guy who was always complaining he had to hunt alone and he was making some good finds. I am retired and offered to go with him and the responded like he thought I was trying to horn in on his hunting sites. So I just blew him off fast. What an a$$! Since I've gotten to be an old fart, I can't take the heat and cold as I once could. Anyway. Hope you find a bundle. Take care Monty (Jim)

SoonerNation

Mar 3, 2008
Western Oklahoma

Hi all,

West Central Oklahoma (Elk City). My family's been in this area of the state nearly ever since it was opened to white settlement. I've been detecting on and off for the past few summers, but have just recently become more interested in it, and I'm thinking of getting a new detector. I'm feeling really hopeful for this summer! :)

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Welcome Sooner,

North Central Ok here,

TW

angler 07

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Hi everybody,

Im from Tulsa and I primarily hunt the Arkansas River for Native American artifacts, fossils, rocks, old glass bottles, and whatever else interesting I might happen across. This past week has been great because Keystone dam has had the water shut off all week, which left a lot of newly washed area to explore, but the river went back up yesterday. Oh well, guess I'll just be forced to hunt my other favorite treasure instead, giant catfish. :wink:

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Monty said:
People are so tight lipped here you never know what is going on or where. Had one guy who was always complaining he had to hunt alone and he was making some good finds. I am retired and offered to go with him and the responded like he thought I was trying to horn in on his hunting sites. So I just blew him off fast. What an a$$! Since I've gotten to be an old fart, I can't take the heat and cold as I once could. Anyway. Hope you find a bundle. Take care Monty (Jim)
hey monty, if you are ever going to be in the Ardmore or Atoka area let me know to many places for me to hunt by myself... Especially in the Atoka Area... no hornen' here... :laughing7: GH

ICURYY4ME

Mar 23, 2008

Hey, everyone. I'm brand new to this site, but I found the Oklahoma section, so I figured I'd post a little something and say hello. I'm in Oklahoma City, and I have a Spectrum XLT. I haven't been hunting for long, but I'd love to hunt for relics, old coins, and such. I get kinda bored with just finding pennies and dimes in local parks, so I'm hoping to find some interesting sites around here that aren't off limits. I've run into a few people that seem to be very secretive and protective about where they hunt, which is a shame. It's not like I'm trying to 'jump someones claim'. or something. I figure there's gotta be plenty of things out there to find for everybody, and I'll be more than happy to pass along any info I have...well, as soon as I get any, that is!

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro

Welcome Icurry4me. We have a club here in OKC that you might be interested in. Call me sometime at 405-685-3130. I own the metal detector shop in the city and I can give you all the info. Allan

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN said:
Thanks for the welcome Monty. You're right about the cold, and the first winter I was here I called my dad in Hydro and told him we didn't know what cold was. 15 below and no wind chill. The best thing about here, NO CHIGGERS! Not a one. It's too far north and the elevation is over 9,000 ft. No snakes either. Move to Texas if you want to, just don't become one. (ha-ha, I'm 1/8 Texan) I'd like to know if any of the other folks on here have any information or done any field work in the area of Cold Springs and Camp Radziminski down by Mt. Park. Particularly the Twin Mountains area. I spent a lot of time down there and came up with a few things. See ya.

It's taking me some time to get used to the cold coming from Australia....but at least there aren't poisonous snakes eveywhere you step!

goldengoose

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2008

"Moore, OK.
Ive been around Metal Detectors all my life. I can remember when I was 4 or 5 years old using an old Linx and Tomcat at the old 101 Ranch, not exactly by choice though. I ended up playing on the hills most of the time! At first it was school yards, but my dad soon figured out there were toys there so the detectors were left sitting in the middle of the schoolyard. Not the best place to take a kid trying to teach him about treasure hunting.

Me and my dad own Wayne's Detector Sales in OKC, Oklahoma for the last 17 years. We sell Tesoro, White's and Garrett with a full line of books and accessories.He has been in business for at least 30 years either out of his shop or out of his home. Personally I like old homesteads especially land that was my families at one point. I also like the beaches that I don't get to go to much. I recently in the last six months quit my job to join my dad fulltime. So far its been a blast! Stop by and see our shop if you haven't already. We are at 7515 S. Pennsylvania"

I was just at ya'lls shop yesterday and bought my first detector from your dad!
I bought a garret ace 250 and a book, ya'll have a great selection of books and info and your dad was very helpful and I learned quite a bit from him in the short time I was there

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro

Sorry I missed you but you were lucky to catch my dad, he is only there on Mondays anymore. Good luck with the Ace. We got the coil covers in today also. Allan

whiskeycellar

Greenie
Jul 27, 2006
S/W Okla
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Howdy, Frederick here its in S/W Okie just south of the Mts.
I spent the better part of 3 summers in the early 70s lookin for the Iron door had a great time but charons gardens is a big place.
I prob ate lunch sittin on the door and didnt know it. Anyway I prospect the Mts. and otter creek, found alot of fossils, pet. wood and a little gold. I'm lookin for ghost towns now. Just out there havin fun.
whiskeycellar

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Whiskey,

I ran across an old photo at a flea market. It was a group pic of some gold miners in Oklahoma.
The name of the mine was "Campbell". I think it was located near Mt Scott.
I went back to the flea market to buy it, but someone beat me to it.

TW

fhayslip

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009

sharpshooter said:
Timberwolf said:
Plowed fields are my favorites.

Hi Timberwolf,

A fellow THer on another forum I belong to also hunts plowed fields with some success. Would you mind sharing with us some of your finds from your plowed field hunts? What led you to believe there would be anything in a plowed field? It never occurred to me to hunt such a place.

Nice Barber dime. I've only found one Barber dime in 10 years of detecting. Finding yours at the 101 Ranch makes it even more special.

Thanks
Hey Timberwolf, nine out of ten ghost towns are in a plowed field. I have hunted ghost towns for over twenty-nine years and that's where most of them are. I have written a booklet on "HOW TO FIND AND GET PERMISSION TO HUNT GHOST TOWNS" that will tell you exactly how to do it, and you can check it out on my web site: http://www.fhayslip.com It's really not that hard if you know how. In a plowed field it's easy to dig, but things will be scattered around. I've found coins, tokens, watch fobs, and many other things in these plowed fields. Warning! once you hunt a ghost town, you'll be a ghost town hunter forever.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Ray,
While I rarely swing those *$%&#!ed loud, heavy, beepin boxes, I am an artifact hunter in Western Oklahoma (cultural center of the universe!). Joined a couple of months back. Primary interest is Plains Indians. Hope to hear from you.
docmann

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Timberwolf, nine out of ten ghost towns are in a plowed field. I have hunted ghost towns for over twenty-nine years and that's where most of them are. I have written a booklet on "HOW TO FIND AND GET PERMISSION TO HUNT GHOST TOWNS" that will tell you exactly how to do it, and you can check it out on my web site: http://www.fhayslip.com It's really not that hard if you know how. In a plowed field it's easy to dig, but things will be scattered around. I've found coins, tokens, watch fobs, and many other things in these plowed fields. Warning! once you hunt a ghost town, you'll be a ghost town hunter forever.

Mr. Hayslip, welcome to Treasurenet. Glad you decided to join us.

I recently read your article Diamonds In The Rough in the February edition of Lost Treasure Magazine. Enjoyed reading it and even learned a thing or two. We share a common interest in Tokens. As I see it, old coins are a piece of history; old tokens area piece of local history. I'm always glad when I find one.

Again, welcome and I hope you will continue to participate here.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, I thought this thread had died long ago. Glad to see so many interested okies on here. When I first started MDing I thought there weren't many people interested, but boy howdy was I wrong! And docman, those old heavy beeping boxes have made tremendous strides in the past few years. My Silver Umax Tesoreo weighs in at just barely two poinds. Feather light and really a good buy. And I don't think any of us could say we are not interested in your kind of hunting. I always keep my eyes open for surface finds when I am "beeping". I've found a lot of interesting items just that way. Glad you chose to join us. Monty

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Monty,
I actually own an old White which isn't too bad. Actually, the kids and I have a lot of fun with it. Haven't been able to quit my day job as of yet. Bubba (aka Sharpshooter) is an avid beepin' fool. He, on the other hand, has done quite well. I'm glad to hear that you're keeping you eyes peeled for artifacts. Just like MDing did to you, that business of artifact hunting got in my blood and I can't seem to shake it. And, since we're surrounded by a great deal of Indian history in this great state, both of us should have a great big playground for years to come.
Good to hear from you, and good luck,
docmann

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wewoka here. Detecting since 65. Still have my D-Tex that I bought off Bill Mahan in person.Now using GTI 2500 with a Classic 5ID as back up/loaner. Hunt anywhere..Prefer older homesteads and church yards. Hint/tip for the day: Check under clotheslines.
My Grandfather was deputy marshall in the territories before statehood.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didja' ever notice that since you started metal detecting you habitually go around looking at the ground no matter where you might be? My wife is always asking, "What are you looking for"? I always have to come back with "Uh...nothing"! but I really mean, "Anything"! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread