Old Downtown Side Walk tear out

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tore out some small areas of the sidewalk and street in old downtown San Angelo, TX.
These finds came out of an area of the tear out that was about 5' X 8'. Years ago,
I was lucky enough to search a larger area of tear out a block farther North and found
several coins from the early 1900's, the highlight of which was a 1909 D Barber half in
XF condition, which I sold years ago for $110.00.
I was expecting to find coins of the same time period in this tear out. I found two dimes
that were badly corroded with dark black, thick corrosion and I could not make out the
images to see what they were. I assumed they would be in the early 1900's like the tear
out that I had searched in about 1980. To my surprise, when I got them home and removed
the oxidation with electrolysis to find they were seated 1873 P and 1885 P. Apparently,
the 200 block of S. Chadbourne Street had sidewalks about twenty years prior to the 100
block of S. Chadbourne. These finds were in front of the building at 204 S. Chadbourne,
San Angelo, TX. Also pictured is a horseshoe from that period and a flattened 50/70 caliber
shell and two pieces of lead that I assume is from bullets.
These streets were originally dirt, then pine blocks, the blocks were later covered with dirt and
paved with brick, then eventually pavement was laid over the bricks. So anytime there is a
street or sidewalk torn out in the downtown area, it is like a time capsule has been opened for
my detecting pleasure.
downtownfinds.jpg
downtownfinds2.jpg downtownfinds3.jpg
downtownfinds5.jpg downtownfinds6.jpg

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 11
OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for looking and the comments!
It's nice to have a group with the same interest to share our finds with.

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated! It's always cool to get down under the sidewalks. Like you said just like a time capsule =)

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Great finds, I have been working a sidewalk-road tearout for a month here in Vegas, some off my best finds in 15 years.trying to get it together for a post soon. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread