OLD FARM SITE..... A few neat finds ...................and got BOOTED !!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Headed out to a old farm site , was there few days ago and decided to go give it another try.

Picked up the neat lock right where we had detected the last time ....tried a couple fields there we hadn,t tried last time. Not a lot of good finds but was fun....and the 1914 large cent.

After 4 hrs we deceided to go get a coffee and headed for home looking for another spot to try for another hour or so before calling it a day.

We ended up stopping at a spot I had gotten permission for late last fall..this was the only the 3rd time I have hunted there since getting permission.

I was hunting along and looked up to see the owner coming threw the field.....We exchanged hellos and say nice day ,glad winter is over...and he abruptly says ..

"I,ll be planting this field sometime in the next year..so you better stop detecting now"

And turns just as abruptly and walks away.... I said " ok..appreciate the time you gave me to hunt"

Last time we had spoken was in town and I had a nice big stencil that I had found there the time before.

It was used to mark apple boxes before shipping...the stencil was the initials of his late deceased grandfather whom he was named after...he was genuinely pleased to get it.

So I,m really kinda stumped by this.....seems very odd....I didn,t ask any questions as it is his land and I have no right to argue with him over his decision.
Only thing I can figure is maybe he couldn,t stand to think that maybe I might find something valueable and regretted his initial decision to allow me to hunt his land.:dontknow:

This field has never been planted before and is half old orchard....kinda left me very puzzled.

2014-04-13 15.36.15.jpg 2014-04-13 17.59.17.jpg 2014-04-13 18.00.00.jpg 2014-04-13 18.01.38.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.06.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.32.jpg 2014-04-13 18.02.49.jpg 2014-04-13 18.05.12.jpg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like he woke up and thought 'hmmm... I think I'll be a dick today'

Very possible also...I don,t mind not detecting there anymore ...wasn,t hardly anything there on the previous 2 hunts.

Bothers me the way he was...very abrupt like he was mad at me or something.....which is fine ..but always nice to know why and I thought I was respectful by giving him something that meant something to him. To each his own.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a site like this several years ago. I had the okay from the farmers wife, so I went back the next fall thinking it was okay to be there, the same thing happened, the farmer came across the field saying it was not okay to be there you should have asked for permission before you entered the field. I asked him if he wanted me to leave, he said no. Just maybe this is why he was mad????

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what makes one change their mind could of have a bad day. Maybe the coffee pot broke no breakfast or maybe he is doing something now that he doesn't want you to see or find out. Good luck this year

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a site like this several years ago. I had the okay from the farmers wife, so I went back the next fall thinking it was okay to be there, the same thing happened, the farmer came across the field saying it was not okay to be there you should have asked for permission before you entered the field. I asked him if he wanted me to leave, he said no. Just maybe this is why he was mad????

Is possible.....was just 4 moonths ago when I gave him the stencil after the 2nd hunt.....just assumed if was ok ....was no time line on how long I could hunt it.
My other spots I have, I,m gonna re ask before I go back to these places this spring....prevent this type of thing from happening again....if indeed that was the problem.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what makes one change their mind could of have a bad day. Maybe the coffee pot broke no breakfast or maybe he is doing something now that he doesn't want you to see or find out. Good luck this year

HAHA...you never know... a lot of people grow that green stuff nowadays....medicinal purposes of course.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps he was either informed by someone (perhaps his brother who is a lawyer?) about liability if something were to happen and you get hurt on his property, OR he or someone else saw you arrive and/or detecting with someone else that he didn't know was coming. Most of my landowners don't mind my presence but aren't crazy about multiple diggers on their property. That's something that I always clear with them before hand, and even if they okay it I don't over do it. Another possibility is that he may have wanted to know when/if you were going to be on his property and maybe you didn't give him a call first the last time? Some landowners are pretty possessive and are easy to make uneasy if they think someone is taking advantage of their kindness. Who knows, but those are some of the reasons that I have been asked to leave properties in the past. I had one property with GREAT potential that I was on last fall, totally virgin site dating to earliest American settlers in this area. Was all good until the owner's son/lawyer found out. He put the squash on it because of liability. I had even given them a liability waiver/release that was completely legal and looked over by a lawyer friend of mine before hand. Had another owner ask me to leave after I detected one day without calling to let them know I was coming first. SO now I always make a point to talk to landowners about liability before hand, give them the release if they seem at all concerned, and ALWAYS call before going on their land even if they tell me it isn't necessary. I have made some good friends that way. One old guy who's land I recently found Spanish silver on is just a lonely old coot. He keeps telling me that I don't have to call first but yet every time I do he talks my ear off telling stories and chatting. We've gotten to be good friends and he's turned me on to some other sites in the process. My advice...stay close to landowners. Talk to them before you go EVERY time you go on their land. Usually you can get a feeling if something is wrong and if you put some charm on you can ease their minds.
Good luck getting back on....once you're off it is difficult (if not impossible) to get back on, in my experience.

HH

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you see the guy again you should tell him you really appreciated him letting you detect on his land and just want to make sure you didnt do anything to upset him... Might be able to get to the bottom of it and at the same time make sure there's no misconceptions on either end. Also might be able to patch things up if there is a misunderstanding.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps he was either informed by someone (perhaps his brother who is a lawyer?) about liability if something were to happen and you get hurt on his property, OR he or someone else saw you arrive and/or detecting with someone else that he didn't know was coming. Most of my landowners don't mind my presence but aren't crazy about multiple diggers on their property. That's something that I always clear with them before hand, and even if they okay it I don't over do it. Another possibility is that he may have wanted to know when/if you were going to be on his property and maybe you didn't give him a call first the last time? Some landowners are pretty possessive and are easy to make uneasy if they think someone is taking advantage of their kindness. Who knows, but those are some of the reasons that I have been asked to leave properties in the past. I had one property with GREAT potential that I was on last fall, totally virgin site dating to earliest American settlers in this area. Was all good until the owner's son/lawyer found out. He put the squash on it because of liability. I had even given them a liability waiver/release that was completely legal and looked over by a lawyer friend of mine before hand. Had another owner ask me to leave after I detected one day without calling to let them know I was coming first. SO now I always make a point to talk to landowners about liability before hand, give them the release if they seem at all concerned, and ALWAYS call before going on their land even if they tell me it isn't necessary. I have made some good friends that way. One old guy who's land I recently found Spanish silver on is just a lonely old coot. He keeps telling me that I don't have to call first but yet every time I do he talks my ear off telling stories and chatting. We've gotten to be good friends and he's turned me on to some other sites in the process. My advice...stay close to landowners. Talk to them before you go EVERY time you go on their land. Usually you can get a feeling if something is wrong and if you put some charm on you can ease their minds.
Good luck getting back on....once you're off it is difficult (if not impossible) to get back on, in my experience.

HH

Could be any one of them reasons...but when you own something...you don,t need a reason.

Things are different nowadays....used to be that no one minded you crossing their property etc....

Wasn,t a very good site anyhow , so no big lose.

When we used to ask if we could hunting on someones land they would say yes..... and we would go hunting whenever...never a problem. But with this HOBBY everything seems to be much different.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aqua,
Next time you see him in town let him know that when he gets ready to plant you would love to give him some free labor for his past generosity in detecting his land. This just might result in a "well go ahead just stay clear of a certain area" response or a full grant again. This will let him know that you are not just about taking but giving also.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be any one of them reasons...but when you own something...you don,t need a reason.

Things are different nowadays....used to be that no one minded you crossing their property etc....

Wasn,t a very good site anyhow , so no big lose.

When we used to ask if we could hunting on someones land they would say yes..... and we would go hunting whenever...never a problem. But with this HOBBY everything seems to be much different.

Good point "don't need a reason" I would say he was upset, by the abrubtness, trying to figure out why is a waste of time, as it could have been anything suggested already, or anything else.

I have had permissions come conditions, like "you can hunt here TODAY ONLY". another fellow, "sure help yourself, just don't come back with a gang"

A recent post by broken knee.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/409962-field-dreams-only-matter-time.html

Not pointing any fingers at anyone, just maybe a reminder to the hobby as a whole to be reminded what a "privilege" it is to hunt on other property, be it private or public. These stories are becoming far too common. Without lands to hunt, expensive MD equipment will have little value.

With MDing becoming ever more popular, and in the public eye, with such TV shows etc.. With regard to public places, I just saw a post on another forum where a guy goes to a baseball field where they were having practice, a confrontation ensued, the guy posted "victory". Anyway I disagree, and glad he doesn't live near me. It seems to me that any attention, especially unnessary, or publicity one brings to himself is almost always negative.

Drawing attention to yourself by confrontation
Hunting spots fields while a game is going on, or otherwise a big crowd is there.
Using shovels in parks, school yards
Not wearing headphones where others are present.

IS just asking for trouble, and maybe a black and white sign "NO MDing" to get put up.

To broken knees post, I was thinking (yes even with permisson) it just might be best to hunt at night, just so passers by, and other detectorists, won't get any ideas. Such as "that place is a free for all"

Just some thoughts.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetic Delta 4000 and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably just in a bad mood. May want to check in each time after getting permission. Night time has always been may preferred time as well. Places that are borderline I will just hunt at night but can be creepy, I need someone to hunt with in case some ghost or freaks come out , I can just throw my hunting buddy to them and haul it out of there. Lol jking

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of farmers & you need to keep them ALL happy & they are all different & have different needs & requirements.

Inviting other people without permission is obiviously a big no-no.
We show them all our finds, but I'm sure many would disagree
We set out ALL the ground rules before we detect. When is it OK to go on, do we need to ask each time, do you want our car details so if you spot it you don't worry, times not to go (shooting season etc), so on & so on.
Most importantly we keep in contact with them, although we normally agree first that we will bring the stuff once a year to save on their time.
We share stuff - that always helps

We have only lost 2 small fields from 1 farmer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds !
Too bad about him changing his mind. Well when one door closes another opens! May it be the best of the best for finds!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of farmers & you need to keep them ALL happy & they are all different & have different needs & requirements.

Inviting other people without permission is obiviously a big no-no.
We show them all our finds, but I'm sure many would disagree
We set out ALL the ground rules before we detect. When is it OK to go on, do we need to ask each time, do you want our car details so if you spot it you don't worry, times not to go (shooting season etc), so on & so on.
Most importantly we keep in contact with them, although we normally agree first that we will bring the stuff once a year to save on their time.
We share stuff - that always helps

We have only lost 2 small fields from 1 farmer.

Great idea on getting it straight from the beginning...setting the ground rules.

I had asked this partiular guy if it was ok to return after the first hunt...he said yes.....oh well , live and learn.

Will be more careful with the people who give me permission in the future.....althoough some people change there minds on a whim...nothing we can do.
Is the first place I have gone this year that I had permission for last year ....so will be sure to see the owners before entering their properrty at the start of this year.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point "don't need a reason" I would say he was upset, by the abrubtness, trying to figure out why is a waste of time, as it could have been anything suggested already, or anything else.

I have had permissions come conditions, like "you can hunt here TODAY ONLY". another fellow, "sure help yourself, just don't come back with a gang"

A recent post by broken knee.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/409962-field-dreams-only-matter-time.html

Not pointing any fingers at anyone, just maybe a reminder to the hobby as a whole to be reminded what a "privilege" it is to hunt on other property, be it private or public. These stories are becoming far too common. Without lands to hunt, expensive MD equipment will have little value.

With MDing becoming ever more popular, and in the public eye, with such TV shows etc.. With regard to public places, I just saw a post on another forum where a guy goes to a baseball field where they were having practice, a confrontation ensued, the guy posted "victory". Anyway I disagree, and glad he doesn't live near me. It seems to me that any attention, especially unnessary, or publicity one brings to himself is almost always negative.

Drawing attention to yourself by confrontation
Hunting spots fields while a game is going on, or otherwise a big crowd is there.
Using shovels in parks, school yards
Not wearing headphones where others are present.

IS just asking for trouble, and maybe a black and white sign "NO MDing" to get put up.

To broken knees post, I was thinking (yes even with permisson) it just might be best to hunt at night, just so passers by, and other detectorists, won't get any ideas. Such as "that place is a free for all"

Just some thoughts.

Well put Rick....good advice for all .

I just shake my head though...don,t understand when no harm whatsoever is being down / asked permission / shared finds.

But.............. IT IS HIS LAND !!! End of story !!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds !
Too bad about him changing his mind. Well when one door closes another opens! May it be the best of the best for finds!

Ty Msbeepbeep...

Just means I need to go find another spot..... could be a great spot.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ty Msbeepbeep... Just means I need to go find another spot..... could be a great spot.
Or your reputation as a mean ole boat captain got around and nobody's gonna let old capt AQUA on there property ever again. You may need to come down here to find some hunting ground. I won't tell anyone who you are...I promise bud :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread