Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on private land in New Mexico.

There is a crack in this large caliche out cropping that has been walled up, except for a small hole at the top.

The drawing is beside this hole, obviously an ambush spot, but the tree in front of the hole tells me that it was long ago when you could see through to the canyon.

The drawing looks like a pig snouted animal, with long shaggy hair.....hands above it.....tree branch beside it......?

It's only about 2" x 1".

What's your take on it? Thanks.

100_0176.JPG 100_0177.JPG 100_0170.JPG 100_0178.JPG

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull the rocks back with a stick, Don't want anything to jump out and bite your hand. Look inside the hole and tell us what's in it? Could be nothing or could be ???

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Gold Maven, and good eye for spotting that out in the field. It's considered a 'pictograph' as it's painted on. Native petroglyphs and pictographs had many meanings. Sometimes they were actually directional signs, like where water was, or the trail to a village. Sometimes they represented visions from the spirit world that only the artist understood. And you see some that are plainly like, hey, look at this cool elk I drew! I'm havin trouble makin this one out, so I don't have any opinion. I would suggest you post this in the treasure signs and symbols forum and let those guys take a look at it.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull the rocks back with a stick, Don't want anything to jump out and bite your hand. Look inside the hole and tell us what's in it? Could be nothing or could be ???

It's just a small window to the canyon beyond. A great place to stick a rifle through, except there is a juniper in the way. If that's what it was used for, by the size of the tree, it was used as a hunting blind a long time ago.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Gold Maven, and good eye for spotting that out in the field. It's considered a 'pictograph' as it's painted on. Native petroglyphs and pictographs had many meanings. Sometimes they were actually directional signs, like where water was, or the trail to a village. Sometimes they represented visions from the spirit world that only the artist understood. And you see some that are plainly like, hey, look at this cool elk I drew! I'm havin trouble makin this one out, so I don't have any opinion. I would suggest you post this in the treasure signs and symbols forum and let those guys take a look at it.

Tried to edit to 'pictograph' but I guess you can't change the title. Thanks for the info.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be his "Trophy Picture". A guess. TTC

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pic Mavan, I see a lot of things IMG_20130930_215902.jpg there is a "hyro" arrow, I have noticed, not always looking through is the case, sometimes it points, follow the hyro. Top left, of hyro triangle, above is (N). The (N),is part of the owls ear. And, if you want to go deeper, the hyro hole is the beak, of another,owl, following the (N)line,to the white face profile,to find faces look for the Eye. any whey, cool stuff, good luck. Justintime IMG_20130930_220015.jpg IMG_20130930_222358.jpg 8-)

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic Mavan, I see a lot of things View attachment 873724 there is a "hyro" arrow, I have noticed, not always looking through is the case, sometimes it points, follow the hyro. Top left, of hyro triangle, above is (N). The (N),is part of the owls ear. And, if you want to go deeper, the hyro hole is the beak, of another,owl, following the (N)line,to the white face profile,to find faces look for the Eye. any whey, cool stuff, good luck. Justintime View attachment 873725 View attachment 873727 8-)

The coolest thing about this rock, was how it glowed in the moon light. It was a fulll moon when we were, the rock is about 400 yds from my buddies cabin, and when I stepped outside to take a pee after dark, I couldn't believe how the moon lit it up.

It's a light colored rock, with dark pines around it, but it looked luminescent....I just stood and stared for the longest time, it did not seem natural, but I'm sure it was.

Last edited:

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey it spelled HOYO...for second time and you do not look thru them as a matter of rule, IT IS THE OUTLINE~dont usually point either and you dont measure...it is just repeat the OUTLINE of the HOYO where the data is contained.. a better shot..closer to the hoyo to show the outline better for better diagnosis...in the earlier photo I saw the very well hidden owl head..so this is looking like a real monument,...again a better pic would show if the paredolia owl that justinetime drew on the large hoyo boulder...if the owl body can be confirmed you only need one more element to confirm a Alpha Monument..and I am willing to bet that this area is old time mining and mineral country..
oro bro
rangler

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see this post over here in this forum. No big deal about pictograph or petroglyph, just a minor distinction. I still can't make it out real well, but in my opinion that's not a depiction of an elk. I've seen lots of rock art and I can't relate it to anything I've seen. Most of the elk I've seen have the antlers raked back along the body with about 30 points or so along the main branches. Could mean somethin they dreamed, a little enhanced advertising for the area, or somehow they channeled the da yuppers '30 point buck' track. I think the whole thing may be Spanish.

armchairacer

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Running Springs, Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look through the hole what do you see? I would go to what you see through it just to see if it leads to something else?

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
the hoyo is too high off the ground to be used that way....and hoyos are not about l ooking thru them..that is the result of using simple logic at a complex set of clues..the OUTLINE of the hoyo is the important part..a closer pic will show theoutline....for what it is shaped like...in this photo it is too small to tell with any accuracy..kapish?
and that hole that is filed with stones..it might be an omega hoyo..are t here any elements or faces or heads or owl ears around in the rock at this hoyo..
if it is a true ground hoyo..it might have been filled by someone who know what it was and wanted to hide it from other...
forget about ancient ambush spot..there are millions of those around every bend in the trail...this is a monument I am sure.just need better pics at the correct time of day..firstly around noon to 1pm..lthen if we got something try at the 430to 6ps time slot for later shadows to develop..
oro for only the truly informed
rangler

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some more pics at work, I'll post them tomorrow. The hole is at eye level, I thought it was a little high to stick a rifle through, and the drawing probably pre dates rifles any way.

this is exciting....can't wait to see what you guys can make out with more pics.

I had my metal detector along, and checked around the base, it looked like a possible cache site, there was a lot of junk metal, old bed springs, cans, but no good deep signals.

Last edited:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I've got some more pics at work, I'll post them tomorrow. The hole is at eye level, I thought it was a little high to stick a rifle through, and the drawing probably pre dates rifles any way.

this is exciting....can't wait to see what you guys can make out with more pics.

I had my metal detector along, and checked around the base, it looked like a possible cache site, there was a lot of junk metal, old bed springs, cans, but no good deep signals.

Gold maven, i believe you have faint carvings in the area of the red stuff. There is a possibility you were meant to see more than the red stuff. If so, then the crack may be topographic in nature.

100_0177xx.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0168.JPG
100_0171.JPG
100_0172.JPG

I thought I had some better pics, but this is it.

The vertical crack runs through the rock, and the walled up part is at ground level. The drawing is on the right side of the little face sized window, about 5 1/2 ft off the ground. The rock is about 50 to 60 ft. high.

Thanks for your comments.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Some spaces are meant to looked through, some are natural, some are a side effect of how rocks were placed. Some may be used in other ways. Sometimes it is the shape of the rocks around the hoyo that is the message. In general, these are hoyos in that they make a window of sorts and draw your attention. On tnet hoyo has come to mean a general term of an opening framed by rocks.

They are used a few different ways.

So..it never hurts to take a peek through one if it is accessible. You may be surprised at what you see. For others that are not somewhat accessible it may not be a peek through sort of hoyo.

Remember too that "showing air" was a requirement for some trail markers. I think there is something on that in Old Dogs thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread