Pewter US button(1808-1830), Pewter Infantry(1812-1815), Rare Pewter OffIcer

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't done with the title but ran out of room. I also dug a gorgeous script RA button(1811-1813) and an 1818 Large Cent.
Wow what an insane day! I went to the site I was at the other day. I took a snow shovel and removed snow from 20X20' sections and gridded em out. It worked awesome and was super easy to know where you'd swung. This site lit up. I dug 3 pewter so but could only see a design on one. I dud the large cent from under a dead tree that I moved. I continued to try to detect the eroded banks as well and took several falls. One of these falls almost cost me my eye when a broken off limb hit me in the face about a half inch from my eyeball and another stuck me in the neck. After one such fall I said to hell with it and decided to swing down in the rocks on the waters edge. That's where the nice looking RA button was found.
When I got home and started cleaning up the pewter so was shocked that all 3 had something on them. One I believe may be very rare but I could be wrong. It's folded badly but I can see the eagle with stars. I believe it may be an Infantry officer button. The confirmed buttons are a Pewter US general service from 1808-1830. A beautiful Pewter Infantry button(1812-1815), and the Regiment of Artillerists(1811-1813). I am so damn psyched about these buttons and the condition is amazing for pewter. Also dug a tiny little buckle looking thing with designs on it. Now for some food and rest 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here is the one that could be a very rare bird....eagle to be exact lol. I know it's hard to tell but I think it may be the one I'm showing from the Alberts book.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 33
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Abmeister that is quite a haul man:headbang:
My kind of hunt it's exciting when you find a good site..It also takes patience to grid small areas and with my ADHD i have trouble staying in one spot:laughing7:

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Abmeister that is quite a haul man:headbang:
My kind of hunt it's exciting when you find a good site..It also takes patience to grid small areas and with my ADHD i have trouble staying in one spot:laughing7:

~Blaze~
Nice to finally get some early military buttons buddy. Now for some Rev War. Wouldn't that be nice 8-)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, now your "cooking with gas".
I had almost posted yesterday when computer froze.
These buttons are far, and away better than the first you posted from this site. (so I won't give my opinion of the first)
The Monogrammed one in particular is quite spectacular, Awesome find.

I'm not surprised that "you" did shovel off a spot to detect. I'm not so sure I would have gone so far, but I have mentioned in a video I made that snow is a great "grid tape".

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so have you been called the Bear Grylls of metal detecting before? Cause if not, I'm saying it now. I'm sure you had to hike 3 miles just to get to the spot where you could carve the canoe to take you to some frigid island in the Atlantic forgotten by modern society...where you then move 5 cubic yards of snow and unearth 11% of the military buttons in a reference book. Dude!

I'm glad you didn't suffer a serious injury, and happy for you to have an amazing start to the new year.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buttons! Glad you escaped injury.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, now your "cooking with gas".
I had almost posted yesterday when computer froze.
These buttons are far, and away better than the first you posted from this site. (so I won't give my opinion of the first)
The Monogrammed one in particular is quite spectacular, Awesome find.

I'm not surprised that "you" did shovel off a spot to detect. I'm not so sure I would have gone so far, but I have mentioned in a video I made that snow is a great "grid tape".

Thanks buddy I'm psyched with these. Yes snow makes it very easy to know where you've detected. Unfortunately soon there will be too much to shovel

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so have you been called the Bear Grylls of metal detecting before? Cause if not, I'm saying it now. I'm sure you had to hike 3 miles just to get to the spot where you could carve the canoe to take you to some frigid island in the Atlantic forgotten by modern society...where you then move 5 cubic yards of snow and unearth 11% of the military buttons in a reference book. Dude!

I'm glad you didn't suffer a serious injury, and happy for you to have an amazing start to the new year.

I do love a good adventure buddy. And every time I get hurt or have a rough day I seem to make good finds. I suppose that's a fair trade 8-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe
Those old buttons just blow my mind,great finds/site.
Gary

Oh Gary if only I can find a Rev War button like you. That's the goal for this season

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BEAUTIFUL , BEAUTIFUL FINDS ..............................

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to bring this back up but I just took better pics of the Script I Infantry button and as Cru pointed out it definitely has an extra little line at the top. I believe it is part of the button and not just a weird mark. I don't see it listed in Alberts. It just doesn't match any of the varieties. Not saying it's rare or some unknown variety. Just thought it interesting
image.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to bring this back up but I just took better pics of the Script I Infantry button and as Cru pointed out it definitely has an extra little line at the top. I believe it is part of the button and not just a weird mark. I don't see it listed in Alberts. It just doesn't match any of the varieties. Not saying it's rare or some unknown variety. Just thought it interesting
View attachment 1259857

Being left from casting it would be part of the button every bit as much as the I in the center.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really don't believe that's part of the mold? Did you blow it up? Pretty weird for it to meet up perfectly with the top of the body of the I and curve down to a perfect point

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1259857
I'm confused. What I thought was a variation from the published book was the horizontal line in the bottom oval, going though what looks like a star in some or a dot in others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread