Platinum Treasure!!! One Troy Once!!! Unique!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final Edit 1/30/2015 : The test results are in: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/448872-platinum-fork-test-results.html

I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted to this website. It's certainly the biggest piece of platinum I've ever found! I'm still shaking from the rush!! :headbang:

DSC08636.JPG DSC08638.JPG

Here's the story. Over the past week I've been pounding that old site by the shore again and again but this time using the new ExCal-II. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd only used my new ExCal-II once before this. What a difference. The sandy/salty soil was no problem for the ExCal-II and the deep signals were coming in loud and clear. Ended up finding a ton more artifacts (silver, copper, iron, more globs of lead) - all much deeper finds than my other detector was able to handle. No more 18th century pepper pots unfortunately (I was hoping for a trifecta). I did however find, among other things, a sterling silver mechanical pencil (Victorian-age from the looks of it), an 80% silver olive fork, three hand-carved sterling spoons, a pewter dish, some broken pieces of porcelain, glass, and even what looks like to be a piece of an old shoe. I will post all these finds and more later in one massive post once I'm sure I've unearthed everything.

Anyway, this post is about the crowning jewel of the finds so far - the Platinum fork. I dug it up shortly after finding the sterling mechanical pencil. When I first saw the platinum fork it was all black just like all the silver in that area. I rubbed the dirt off (I know, I'm still kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing) and it revealed a golden luster - I assumed it to be a gold plated fork of either silver or some other cheaper metal. Into the bag it went and the hunt continued. At the end of each day I would clean and photograph my finds. I noticed the "950" hallmark during this time a few days ago.

The "950" is stamped in an "upside-down shield". I first saw this mark when I examined the fork the day I found it. I assumed it to be a sterling mark for 95% silver. I checked online a few times but really I had pretty much concluded it just had to be a type of silver. Today I did some in depth research and discovered that there is absolutely no sterling mark that resembles this hallmark. I did further research of other precious metal hallmarks besides silver and was stunned - the mark was listed as one of 4 types of platinum hallmarks. According to my research this platinum hallmark represents the second highest purity of platinum - 95%!! There is a crown above the "950", a little symbol that looks like an "R" directly above the "950", and a little "M" to the right of the "950". On the right side of the fork it says "Made in France" and on the left side it says "Cartier". There is also what appears to be some kind of etched serial number, possibly "1040". The piece weights 30.9 grams - almost exactly one troy ounce making it worth just about $1,200 in melt value.

The unknown: How old is this piece? I've had trouble dating this piece as hallmark charts by Cartier don't appear online in detail.

One thing is for certain Cartier is not known for cranking out platinum cutlery. I have a feeling this may have been a custom made piece. If so it may be unimaginably rare and expensive. My feeling is that it is worth way over its melt value of $1.2K - perhaps its worth $5k+ who knows? I will have to get it professionally appraised. Until then the hunt continues!!! :D Arg! Now with all this new swag I feel like a true pirate! :skullflag: :blackbeard: :laughing7:

Edit: Okay, it's officially confirmed. What I initially thought was an "R" stamp is in fact a "PT" stamp, "PT" means Platinum! "PT 950 M" is a high-strength Platinum alloy. The M stands for the 5% other metal added with the Platinum most likely Ruthenium! I'm on cloud 9 right now! :D

Platinum stamp along with hallmark chart:
Fork Hallmark.jpg appendix2_1.jpg

Cartier markings along the sides:
DSC08643.JPG DSC08646.JPG

Fork on my scale, note 30.9 gram weight:
DSC08647.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 53

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find it ridiculous that people are making a fuss over the find. Sounds like sour grapes to me and as much stuff as i have found I have yet to take a picture of it as it was being dug. Do you metal detect to make yourself famous and to prove your prowess to other folks or do you do it for the enjoyment of it? I do it for the enjoyment of it and I have and will share pictures when I find something neat. It's not like he was fishing around saying he had the map to yamamoto's treasure, just showing a find he was excited about...d2

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underminer:

Those are great finds that you have made. I am sure that each one of us in this forum wish that we had found the quanity and quality of items that you have recently. I think that the job of fellow forum members is to share in the excitement of the finds our fellow members make and help each other learn more about the hobby we all seem to love. It's not our job to doubt anyones post or make accusations as to its validity. None of us have any idea if what we see and read is true in any post in any forum. Looks like you have a great spot to detect keep hunting.

Fingerlakes119

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, This thread is definitely causing this girl to think twice about this website. I am DISAPPOINTED in what I see. I became a charter member because I thought I was expanding the potential here. I am not posting again. I was happy to share my small finds. NOT NOW.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoague,

Pls reconsider most of the folks here are stand up types.....there'll always be a few doubters stirring things up.

Regards + HH

Bill

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, This thread is definitely causing this girl to think twice about this website. I am DISAPPOINTED in what I see. I became a charter member because I thought I was expanding the potential here. I am not posting again. I was happy to share my small finds. NOT NOW.

this situation is Rare shoague.
This is why members are being warned instead of Thinned out already.

no Force being used here but your certainly welcome to post your finds when you get out

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shoague, some members were out of line and that was dealt with. We are a large community, sometimes there are disagreements just like in any family or community, no reason to give up because of that...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoague, some members were out of line and that was dealt with. We are a large community, sometimes there are disagreements just like in any family or community, no reason to give up because of that...

very well put. You wouldn't disown your family over a Disagreement Would you ? :tongue3:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I were you, & I now have years of experience on here, I would not over react to this.(otherwise your in their camp & a loser of our combined knowledge) It rarely happens & it gets dealt with fairly by the MODs. These things happen with a large www. community & the benefits of this site far out weigh the odd bit of popcorn talk. Stick with it...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find a CARTIER fork !! :notworthy: Considering the history of Cartier it very well could be a Platinum fork. S*&% it could be silver plated and It would be a great find. :thumbsup: On the other side it has some red flags that anyone would question.... :icon_scratch: Everyone needs to calm down and look at it from both sides, you can't really know until its appraised... :dontknow: God you guys its just a fork calm down.. :BangHead: Congratulations Modern Miner on another amazing piece of flatware. :occasion14:

Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has become very bizarre and confusing. I understand people being upset about the rude posts. But I also understand when people see very very similar items posted a few different times that they are skeptical. My advice to anybody who is skeptical about a persons thread is to simply pass it on by and just not reply. Sometimes not saying anything says a lot.
And for anybody who thinks these isolated incidents take away from this great forum you're wrong and you're only doing a disservice to yourself by not posting. Once in a great while a thread results in people disagreeing. Trust me this forum is by far the best group as a whole you will find

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has become very bizarre and confusing. I understand people being upset about the rude posts. But I also understand when people see very very similar items posted a few different times that they are skeptical. My advice to anybody who is skeptical about a persons thread is to simply pass it on by and just not reply. Sometimes not saying anything says a lot.
And for anybody who thinks these isolated incidents take away from this great forum you're wrong and you're only doing a disservice to yourself by not posting. Once in a great while a thread results in people disagreeing. Trust me this forum is by far the best group as a whole you will find

Being skeptical is one thing, attacking the find, thread or member is another thing......

Unless someone has proof that something isn't legit about any thread it is best to discuss it among yourselves via pm or with a mod, not attack member, find or thread in open forum with out proof that can be presented to mods..

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds to me like their is a lot of skepticism as to what your find is made of ! I think I can help you out! I'll tell you what you need to do Underminer!! You send that little cream-puff to me and I will have it tested! If you don't hear back from me in thirty days, you damn well know it was sure enough Platinum!! Then, you can tell all those dang naysayers to go take a leap at a rollin' doughnut!!!! The Kid

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being skeptical is one thing, attacking the find, thread or member is another thing......

Unless someone has proof that something isn't legit about any thread it is best to discuss it among yourselves via pm or with a mod, not attack member, find or thread in open forum with out proof that can be presented to mods..

I agree! That's why I said people should not reply if they are skeptical

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I've read this whole thing through over the past 3 days (caught it late)... Something interesting occurred to me as I was reading. Over in the N.A. Artifacts forum, we certainly have a smaller audience, but we do cheer each other on. We've had this funny guy posting rocks... you know- with faces... and a member offered up an excellent website where his talents would be more useful 'cause they weren't artifacts. We had some fun with him and bumped him over to the rocks and gems forum, and people still posted on his threads- 'liked' him too. That aside, I was considering the whole 'likes' thing and noticing that in general get fewer- mostly because of the number of people who check us out. Then too, it's rocks and not silver and gold- or platinum for that matter. BUT what I'm saying is, you guys give likes to pennies and bottle caps and iron. That's encouragement- that's cool. So a newbie can pull up can slaw and rusty somethings and a marble and a couple pennies and tally up a ton of likes-- like a whole bunch of pats on the back for trying real hard and staying with it. It seems that when someone's trying to figure something out- like this case, there would be an equal number of pats on the back-- maybe even offers to help (Texas Kid aside 8-))- finding numbers or contacts for experts, etc. People seem to do it all the time. For a scrap of iron, a piece of lead, a penny. I can see why that gal got upset. Hope she comes back. I enjoyed reading about her struggles getting a grip on her new machine and hobby. Gave me hope too.
Seems to me there ought to be someone here with more than a Google search site offering- who knows a thing or two about historic cutlery. There's always someone. Especially on a site this size. This is about support, right? Sure doesn't need to be a snark-fest. Lotsa forums for that, but it ain't here. In my very humble opinion, this place should be a relief. Not a nose-thumbing told-ya-so contest.
I for one am excited to find out what he's got. And even if it's 'just' silver (and how many of y'all have peed your pants over a broken salt-water silver pinky ring?) I'll be cheering.
That's all.
Yakker

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
But PT 950 is platnum NOT sterling.or just a silver mark,,And sterling has to be at least .925 nothing says it can not be a higher % any thing over .925 is sterling, if of course it is silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions