Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
The way I thought about it, when I got the email, is that YES! If this lady got wind of the fact that I do (and others like me) do routinely find goodies, it may indeed be a factor in a small town to just say "phooey, no more metal detecting".

Well of course they get wind of it--It's all over the internet!

Do you think cops don't know how to Google search? :D

She asked you to help them do their job. And yes, perhaps Gently reminding you in a nice way what California Law has to say about found items.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Lost & Found

Found: 6 nickles, three dimes and 4 pennies. Please call and identify if these are yours.

BF 549
I found a hair in my soup.....is it yours?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Buckles, you say: " ......And yes, perhaps Gently reminding you in a nice way what California Law has to say about found items. "

california law?

CALIFORNIA law??

Heck I bet this is the law anywhere! (lest people just pick up wallets, purses, etc... and say "finders keepers, haha"). I'll be talking to this lady within the next few days (she's been out of work for the last week), and ask her a few hypothetical "what if's", while I'm there offering them my services for future "lost" reports. I'll report back what she says.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Buckles, you say: " ......And yes, perhaps Gently reminding you in a nice way what California Law has to say about found items. "

california law?

CALIFORNIA law??

Heck I bet this is the law anywhere! (lest people just pick up wallets, purses, etc... and say "finders keepers, haha"). I'll be talking to this lady within the next few days (she's been out of work for the last week), and ask her a few hypothetical "what if's", while I'm there offering them my services for future "lost" reports. I'll report back what she says.

The only link I have seen is for California law. I don't hunt parks, Tom. The items I find were all lost by people who were long dead, and I give a lot of finds to the current property owners. I don't claim to know what one is legally required to do if they find a wallet in the street. I take it in and report it, cash and all--because that's just the right thing to do.

This is a mighty high-profile encounter for you, Tom. Try to reflect favorably on all of us, please.

Regards,

Buck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think her response was correct and professional. Many people lose items and report them lost to the Police. Only thing I would do differently is notify them and say I have found whatever it is you wish to return and if someone claims it and can describe it to you then you will return it to that person. Let them also know your services are available. Friends son lost a gold ring on the beach and they found a guy metal detecting the next day and the guy looked for and found the ring for them.It was his first gold as a newbee. That guy the newbee personified this hobby.
Stay cool

TnMtns

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tn-mtns, you say:

"Only thing I would do differently is notify them and say I have found whatever it is you wish to return and if someone claims it and can describe it to you then you will return it to that person."

Yes, but if you read her email closely, you will see that that is not acceptable. You are (if her email is taken literally), to turn in those things to their lost & found.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Tn-mtns, you say:

"Only thing I would do differently is notify them and say I have found whatever it is you wish to return and if someone claims it and can describe it to you then you will return it to that person."

Yes, but if you read her email closely, you will see that that is not acceptable. You are (if her email is taken literally), to turn in those things to their lost & found.

Tom, is it your perception that Any correspondence from a public figure or person in a position of authority must be Loaded in some way?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Tn-mtns, you say:

Tom, is it your perception that Any correspondence from a public figure or person in a position of authority must be Loaded in some way?

Huh? Not sure what you mean by "loaded". I just read what it (her email) says.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Tn-mtns, you say:

Hey Tom
I saw that. It does sound like that is what the lady was impling. That is why I was saying that you make an offer to do it your way. I agree it would be ridiculous to turn in everything you find. What kinda hobby would this be? Maybe the best thing to do is let your ethics guide you when recovering a possible recent lost item. Remember you are just dealing with one person in the lost and found employed in civil service. Their job is to serve the public and you sir are part of the public.
Have a great day
TnMtns

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
BuckleBoy said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Tn-mtns, you say:

Huh? Not sure what you mean by "loaded". I just read what it (her email) says.

Nope, you jumped a country mile to a conclusion that doesn't seem correct to most that have replied to this thread. Think I'm wrong? read all of the posts on your thread. This person was trying to touch base with you to have you help out in the return of lost property. she never said that you need to turn in found coins that were lost fifty years ago, or anything else that you dig out of the ground for that matter. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Too bad you have decided to take the paranoid route. :(

John

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi John. Maybe so. Maybe she didn't mean what a literal reading of her email actually says ??? The subject has come up on threads before (lost & found laws). I'll report back to the forum on what she says.

Does anyone here remember the true case of the couple who find an expensive diamond ring in a parking lot of a shopping center? They thought "Let's find out if this is real", so they took it to a jewelry shop, and asked the attendant "Is this a real stone, and if so, what's it worth?". The attendant said that their gemologist was out for the day, but would be back the next day. They told the young couple that they could leave it there overnight, and the gemologist would look at it the next AM. So the couple left the ring, and their name and number, and went on their merry way.

The next morning, the jeweler recognized it as something he had been told to "Be on the lookout" for, as it had been reported lost/stolen by the police dept. (apparently ...... in the small town ... there was just only a single jeweler or two, so the police had made contact, in case someone tried to pawn it off or whatever).

The gemologist called the police, gave them the young couples #, and ... the couple had a boatload of explaining to do. Not sure if they were charged with a crime or not.

When the case of that true news story got talked about on the forums, awhile back, it did bring up a lot of these type lost & found laws (apparently the couple was in violation of laws for not simply turning it in, and seeming to be on-the-road to liquidating it). NOW YOU TELL ME! What's the difference between that, and the jewelry we find? (legally speaking). So I'm not "jumping a country mile". The case law is there to make those md'rs, who bend over backwards to follow laws (the whole parks/schools permission debate stuff), that I wonder why these type laws too aren't given the same status?

And BTW there's no way to know, on the wet beach, whether something was "just lost" or been there for years (simply recently revealed by sand erosion).

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"When the case of that true news story got talked about on the forums, awhile back, it did bring up a lot of these type lost & found laws (apparently the couple was in violation of laws for not simply turning it in, and seeming to be on-the-road to liquidating it). NOW YOU TELL ME! What's the difference between that, and the jewelry we find? (legally speaking)."

NONE. NO DIFFERENCE. It is conversion of found property to your own and theft by such.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the item is engraved or has some kind of identifying marks that can be given with out them seeing item to prove beyond all doubt it is theirs, they can't prove it is theirs.

Just because someone found a ring that looks like one of hundreds or thousands made nation wide or world wide and one of dozens of dozens lost, unless they can identify ring by the engraving or describable marks (scratches where they say they are), there is no proof it is theirs, and it remains mine. :headbang:

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
unless they can identify ring by the engraving or describable marks (scratches where they say they are), there is no proof it is theirs, and it remains mine.

Yes... you've already said as much. And I've already said that I disagree. Many times it may be enough to know the details of where and when the item would have been found along with a rough description of the item. But as usual, it is not a black and white issue. If someone tells you that they left their three diamond engagement ring on a picnic table next to the public pay phone in Stiller park on Saturday at 12:00, I hope you would hand it over to them without them being required to give details about describable marks or engravings (assuming all of the other details are spot on). If not, then you are only kidding yourself.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Read the laws in your area. a hundred dollar bill if found is most likely to be yours if you follow the law, if not it belongs to some one else...
It does not have to be directly identifiable. The laws are in existence in most case long before metal detectors.
Again an atitude of why it is so dam easy to get metal detecting banded in public places. If some one lost a ring in the area you found it and reported it, who does it belong to??
The finder or the owner??

The MD'er is there own worst enemy in all of this. Such is life it seems.

Treasure_Hunter said:
Unless the item is engraved or has some kind of identifying marks that can be given with out them seeing item to prove beyond all doubt it is theirs, they can't prove it is theirs.

Just because someone found a ring that looks like one of hundreds or thousands made nation wide or world wide and one of dozens of dozens lost, unless they can identify ring by the engraving or describable marks (scratches where they say they are), there is no proof it is theirs, and it remains mine. :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
"When the case of that true news story got talked about on the forums, awhile back, it did bring up a lot of these type lost & found laws (apparently the couple was in violation of laws for not simply turning it in, and seeming to be on-the-road to liquidating it). NOW YOU TELL ME! What's the difference between that, and the jewelry we find? (legally speaking)."

NONE. NO DIFFERENCE. It is conversion of found property to your own and theft by such.

So we are all theifs with metal detectors is what you are saying the law says? Did I miss something?

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
LOL by law most are if they are not turning in found items. Metal detecting is finding items usually lost is it not??
Again will also depend on the state and local laws.

TnMountains said:
lostcauses said:

So we are all theifs with metal detectors is what you are saying the law says? Did I miss something?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
LOL by law most are if they are not turning in found items. Metal detecting is finding items usually lost is it not??
Again will also depend on the state and local laws.

TnMountains said:
lostcauses said:

I hear what you are saying,,lol. I understand but,,,, its our civic duty to convert all those lost coins and relics into our collections. We can not stand around and wait for the gov to find the stuff for us. Whats wrong with us. We are not going to go collect for the government.They work for us. I refuse to wait on a program called Findcare. This grass roots approach is so much better. Lets relax and go dig something up responsibly.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jb7487 said:
unless they can identify ring by the engraving or describable marks (scratches where they say they are), there is no proof it is theirs, and it remains mine.

Yes... you've already said as much. And I've already said that I disagree. Many times it may be enough to know the details of where and when the item would have been found along with a rough description of the item. But as usual, it is not a black and white issue. If someone tells you that they left their three diamond engagement ring on a picnic table next to the public pay phone in Stiller park on Saturday at 12:00, I hope you would hand it over to them without them being required to give details about describable marks or engravings (assuming all of the other details are spot on). If not, then you are only kidding yourself.

JB, I am not talking about anything as you describe, I am talking about items I recover from metal detecting, not something someone misplaced on a picnic table or anything in the same nature by accident. I have returned wallets with money I have found as well as rings when the person who lost it described it to me. I have never just eyeballed a ring laying on the surface at the beach.

My point is most rings are sold by jewelry stores that have dozens of the same idential ring, and that is just one store. Take for example there are at least 6 JC Penny jewelry stores just in my immediate area in Orlando, and everyone of them sale the same identicial rings and have 6-12 of the same ring in various sizes. 6x12 =72 just in my area, times the rest of the stores in just the state of Florida we are talking potential of more then a thousand of the same ring. Add on top of that we have tourist from all over the country and the world visit our beaches multiple that.............Now add to this different jewelry stores other then JC Penny sale the same rings.

If a Jane Doe loses a ring, what makes anyone think the one I found is the actual ring she lost, when dozens of the same idential ring have been lost. Because some one lost "a ring", are we to give them one we found, even though there are no identifying marks and no way to know it is the actual ring they lost, only because they lost "a" ring weeks or months before and they do not even know for sure where they lost it, only that it is missing when they look at their finger?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread