Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
My point is most rings are sold by jewelry stores that have dozens of the same idential ring, and that is just one store. Take for example there are at least 6 JC Penny jewelry stores just in my immediate area in Orlando, and everyone of them sale the same identicial rings and have 6-12 of the same ring in various sizes. 6x12 =72 just in my area, times the rest of the stores in just the state of Florida we are talking potential of more then a thousand of the same ring. Add on top of that we have tourist from all over the country and the world visit our beaches multiple that.............Now add to this different jewelry stores other then JC Penny sale the same rings.

If a Jane Doe loses a ring, what makes anyone think the one I found is the actual ring she lost, when dozens of the same idential ring have been lost. Because some one lost "a ring", are we to give them one we found, even though there are no identifying marks and no way to know it is the actual ring they lost, only because they lost "a" ring weeks or months before and they do not even know for sure where they lost it, only that it is missing when they look at their finger?

Does it matter if the ring is identical? They still lost an identical ring, and they will get one back if they are lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to claim it. (not likely.)

What are the odds that of those 72 rings out there, that 2 identical ones of them get worn to the same beach, and lost? And what are the odds that the person that lost it will come and try to claim it within any 90 day period--when there's no telling how long ago it was lost in the first place?

The Paranoia in this thread borders on Insanity.

Many of you sound like you are so blinded by money, gold, or whatever, that you refuse do the right thing or even follow the law.

What this also means for you is that you do not legally own Any of the gold jewelry that you have not turned in for the required 90 days. (I see the cop's statement in the letter to Tom as an encouragement to him to follow the law for his own protection--since actions can be taken against folks who do not follow this law, since they have misappropriated found property.)

Well, on the bright side of things I am glad that we're raising and discussing ethical issues this year on this forum. Such discussions are not easy.

Few of us ever have to deal with being the Owner of lost property and worrying about it being Found and Kept by someone else. We usually go to great lengths to whip out our detectors and find it quickly. That could be part of the reason folks are so unwilling to follow the law.

I see this as a test case for the UK model of recovery and reporting...and evidently it won't work here. Folks are paranoid about finds being kept by the local PD, and they would prefer Not to give the owners of lost property even so much as a chance to claim it. :-\

It is a tough thing to "dig responsibly," isn't it?

-Buck

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
" ........... you refuse do the right thing or even follow the law" Buckles, thanx for seeing what I am trying to say. We all know that the majority of what we found is LONG forgotten. And most (except maybe something super expensive) is not reported to police departments. Heck, I lost my own wedding band (fortunately only a plain gold band) years ago. But I never reported it to the police dept. (it never even occured to me). So realistically, it's all just a silly point. The only reason I bring it all up, is because I wondered how persons who are very adament about following all laws (like when it comes to the parks and school and permission thing) would react when this law is quoted to them?

In addition to going to speak to the lady who sent me the email (with only hypotheticals), I am also going to do this: My company has a lawyer on retainer, whom I can call for occasional legal questions. I'll pass this one by him, out of curiousity, and report back what he says.

Y'all remember the armored car that had tipped over, and a back door come open, above a freeway over-pass, spilling bundles of bills raining down on a low income neighborhood below? The few persons who just happened to be below the freeway clover-leaf area, quickly scarfed up as much as they could and took off. It wasn't till the accident scene was cleared up above, that efforts to recover money from below could get started. Naturally, by then, very little of the money was recovered. The armored car company put out a news release offering amnesty for the return of the money. They cited laws that said that anyone who had picked it up and waltzed off, was in violation of law, etc.... So you tell me: what's the difference between that armored car co's misfortune, and the lady playing beach volleyball who has the misfortune of having her diamond studded tennis bracelet fly off? Does it really just belong to the fellow who waltez by that night with his metal detector? Or does it legally still belong to the lady who lost it?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
My point is most rings are sold by jewelry stores that have dozens of the same identical ring, and that is just one store. Take for example there are at least 6 JC Penny jewelry stores just in my immediate area in Orlando, and everyone of them sale the same identical rings and have 6-12 of the same ring in various sizes. 6x12 =72 just in my area, times the rest of the stores in just the state of Florida we are talking potential of more then a thousand of the same ring. Add on top of that we have tourist from all over the country and the world visit our beaches multiple that.............Now add to this different jewelry stores other then JC Penny sale the same rings.

If a Jane Doe loses a ring, what makes anyone think the one I found is the actual ring she lost, when dozens of the same identical ring have been lost. Because some one lost "a ring", are we to give them one we found, even though there are no identifying marks and no way to know it is the actual ring they lost, only because they lost "a" ring weeks or months before and they do not even know for sure where they lost it, only that it is missing when they look at their finger?

Does it matter if the ring is identical? They still lost an identical ring, and they will get one back if they are lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to claim it. (not likely.)

What are the odds that of those 72 rings out there, that 2 identical ones of them get worn to the same beach, and lost?

Yes it matters if the ring is not identical, that means the ring that was found was never in their possession or theirs to begin with.... Why would they have claim to a ring that was never in their possession to begin with, and only looks like one they owned? You don't get to keep a different ring then the one you lost just because you lost one, well, unless you have homeowners that is. :laughing9:

I have never found 2 identical diamond rings, though have found identical gold wedding bands. I have found diamond earring and another member on this board has found an identical match at a different time.

The 72 rings are just the 72 sold in the immediate Orlando area, multiply that times all JC Penny stores in Florida, then multiple times all JC Penny stores in US. (JC Penny is just an example of one jewelry store) We are a popular tourist destination. I have no doubt there are many identical sets of rings lost on these beaches...........

Daytona Beach has thousands and thousands of rings still buried, most are just too deep under sand to recover them at the moment, at least till another storm strips the sand back again or a good rip tide digs another deep hole.

In the Spring of 2007 after a sub tropical storm a huge hole opened up from a rip tide that was about 40 yards long and maybe 20 yards wide, hundreds of rings were recovered from that hole in just a couple days. the surf covered the hole back up in a couple days. We were pulling up scoops of clay while recovering the jewelry, it had stripped it down to the base. Hundreds of silver coins were recovered as well.......

You went from ankle deep to waist deep, then chest deep, then back to calf deep as you walked the 20 yards out. Knowing what I know now, the next time it happens, I will have a case of the flu, I am getting a room and staying till the hole is gone......

I have returned rings I have found when the party who lost it could identify it, and I had no bad feelings or second thoughts about returning it either.......

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The officers reply seemed right. She informed him of there lost and found policy. Stated that you can sign for them and get them in 60 days if not claimed seemed honest. If I lost my glasses or cell phone and someone with a detector found them and turned them in I would be greatfull.

My personal creed is to try to return anything that can be ID'ed.

Ed D.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
The officers reply seemed right. She informed him of there lost and found policy. Stated that you can sign for them and get them in 60 days if not claimed seemed honest. If I lost my glasses or cell phone and someone with a detector found them and turned them in I would be greatfull.

My personal creed is to try to return anything that can be ID'ed.

Ed D.

Amen :thumbsup: Mark this one with the green check solved.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Yes it matters if the ring is not identical, that means the ring that was found was never in their possession or theirs to begin with.... Why would they have claim to a ring that was never in their possession to begin with, and only looks like one they owned? You don't get to keep a different ring then the one you lost just because you lost one, well, unless you have homeowners that is. :laughing9:

My point is that the rings are identical in every way...then there is no way to prove it is their specific ring...but there is no way to Disprove it either. They would claim it. And it could just as well be theirs. That's my point. But again, what are the odds. Same ring, same size, happens to show up to claim it. Not likely. That's my point.

-Buck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

My point is that the rings are identical in every way...then there is no way to prove it is their specific ring...but there is no way to Disprove it either. They would claim it. And it could just as well be theirs. That's my point. But again, what are the odds. Same ring, same size, happens to show up to claim it. Not likely. That's my point.

-Buck

Understood. :icon_thumright: My point is it would stay in my possesion till they can prove it is theirs, and as you say.......... " Same ring, same size, happens to show up to claim it Not likely".

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

-Buck

Understood. :icon_thumright: My point is it would stay in my possesion till they can prove it is theirs, and as you say.......... " Same ring, same size, happens to show up to claim it Not likely".

So you're saying you would not turn in a find, even if it were breaking the law to retain it in your possession.

It's important to point out that States and countries vary in their laws. There is no law stating that anyone here has to turn in rings, sunglasses, or money. I found a $50 bill laying on the floor of a store and waited a few minutes to see if anyone was looking for it. When it appeared that no one was there, I pocketed the bill. Do you guys think I'm stupid enough to hand the bill in to the clerk and say "someone lost this" or turn it into the police? DUH! The reason I go to a beach is based on the fact that people lose things. Do you guys think I bought a detector so I could hand in lost items? If a ring has someone's name inscribed then I will try and return it (even though the last few rings I returned were not appreciated and I was treated like a criminal and didn't get anything for my time) but I'm sure not dedicating myself to try and turn in everything I find. If this is the sort of hobby you guys signed up for then fine, knock yourselves out. Don't tell the rest of us that we have to follow some ridiculous code that we turn in everything we find. This hobby is based on finding things that people lost or discarded. I can't afford to buy myself decent sunglasses. After 6 hours in the water, I found a $100 to $200 pair of sunglasses that I NOW WEAR! Finding the original owner is like a needle in the haystack and I am not wasting my time to find that needle. Who pays me for my time? I do, with what I find. I don't wear jewelry. If someone wants to spend their disposable income on some bling and go to the beach to show it off, Then tough luck when they lose it! I never lose anything because I am aware of what I am carrying.
Whoever made that statement that everything recovered from public land does not belong to us and should be returned has no place on a TREASURE hunting forum and should join some lawyer chat line.
This thread is making me nauseous. >:(
Dave.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
It's important to point out that States and countries vary in their laws. There is no law stating that anyone here has to turn in rings, sunglasses, or money. I found a $50 bill laying on the floor of a store and waited a few minutes to see if anyone was looking for it. When it appeared that no one was there, I pocketed the bill. Do you guys think I'm stupid enough to hand the bill in to the clerk and say "someone lost this" or turn it into the police? DUH! The reason I go to a beach is based on the fact that people lose things. Do you guys think I bought a detector so I could hand in lost items? If a ring has someone's name inscribed then I will try and return it (even though the last few rings I returned were not appreciated and I was treated like a criminal and didn't get anything for my time) but I'm sure not dedicating myself to try and turn in everything I find. If this is the sort of hobby you guys signed up for then fine, knock yourselves out. Don't tell the rest of us that we have to follow some ridiculous code that we turn in everything we find. This hobby is based on finding things that people lost or discarded. I can't afford to buy myself decent sunglasses. After 6 hours in the water, I found a $100 to $200 pair of sunglasses that I NOW WEAR! Finding the original owner is like a needle in the haystack and I am not wasting my time to find that needle. Who pays me for my time? I do, with what I find. I don't wear jewelry. If someone wants to spend their disposable income on some bling and go to the beach to show it off, Then tough luck when they lose it! I never lose anything because I am aware of what I am carrying.
Whoever made that statement that everything recovered from public land does not belong to us and should be returned has no place on a TREASURE hunting forum and should join some lawyer chat line.
Dave.

Dave,

I obey the law, and I EXPECT others to do the same--especially when they represent My hobby since they detect as well.

From what you have said, you have no legal responsibility to report anything you find to allow it to be claimed. But such a law can appear at any level--city, county, or state here in the U.S. it seems. If there is no such law in Canada, then you have no reason to be upset or angry in your reply to this topic.

But what I DON'T like is you going around saying that myself and others who want to do the right thing and promote a good image for this hobby of ours are "turncoats."

Please cool off with the personal attacks, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Once again, the world is not black and white. No one is saying that you have to turn in everything you find. The law doesn't even imply that. I'm sure that if I showed up at the police station with a bag full of pull tabs they would kick my butt out of there. They want you to use common sense and turn in things that people are likely to be looking for. Who knows what that really means though and you need to use your best judgement.

In this specific case, Tom posted his find to Craigslist which implied that he was well aware that someone could be looking for this item. In that case the police are going to tell you that the proper thing to do is to turn it in instead of trying to find the owner yourself. I can't disagree with that. However, I can also see why Tom would be hesitant to do that if he doesn't trust the police in his area. So you are stuck trying to decide what is the best course of action. Personnally, I'd like for people who are looking for an item they've lost to get it back. I have no desire to hold onto someone else's possession if they are looking for it. However, since you can't know if anyone is even looking for a specific item you have no way of knowing if you should turn it in or not. Again, a lot of it depends on the circumstances and the item in question. Finding a cell phone in the grass at the local public pool is probably something you should turn in. It has value, was lost in a small contained area, the person who lost it is likely local, and there is a point of contact nearby (the pool office) where someone is likely to go to ask if someone turned it in. On the other hand, a cheap ring found on a beach is probably not worth turning in to the police. It isn't valuable, the person who lost it probably wasn't local, they have no idea where it was lost, and they aren't likely to know exactly where to go to try and claim it anyway (the police, the lifeguard station, the local hotel in front of the beach, etc?). So it comes down to a judgement call. On one end of the spectrum you have people who believe in strict finder's keeper's rules and don't give a damn about even considering trying to find the rightful owner of something valuable. On the other end you have people that will turn in every little thing to the police. Most of us are somewhere in between.

As for the recent infighting, I can tell you that the people who believe that the inconsiderate actions of others are hurting our hobby are just as mad as you are. The "why can't we all just back to detecting" attitude is just a way of trying to ignore the issue. In many cases it is best to just let it go and get back to detecting because there is no way that you are going to accomplish anything through fighting on a forum. However, bringing the issues to light for new detectorists is not a bad thing. So it is important for people to be able to voice their opinions on such touchy subjects.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jb7487 said:
On one end of the spectrum you have people who believe in strict finder's keeper's rules and don't give a damn about even considering trying to find the rightful owner of something valuable. On the other end you have people that will turn in every little thing to the police. Most of us are somewhere in between.

I don't think any of us would turn in every pulltab or clad find. We've all done this hobby enough, and read enough on this forum and others to know what finds have value. The finds that the original owners were distraught over losing are the same finds that people don't want to give those folks a chance to claim. It's called greed.

jb7487 said:
As for the recent infighting, I can tell you that the people who believe that the inconsiderate actions of others are hurting our hobby are just as mad as you are. The "why can't we all just back to detecting" attitude is just a way of trying to ignore the issue. In many cases it is best to just let it go and get back to detecting because there is no way that you are going to accomplish anything through fighting on a forum. However, bringing the issues to light for new detectorists is not a bad thing. So it is important for people to be able to voice their opinions on such touchy subjects.

I agree. These subjects are not something that will ever appear in a detector manual, manufacturer or distributor's website, or advertisement.

We've let the bad apples of this hobby run the show long enough, and their poor examples have tightened the noose around all of our necks. It's time to raise the bar. And it may not be comfortable of everyone, and it may be something that some folks would like to ignore, but we are better off for discussing it. The preservation of our hobby depends on it.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
jb7487 said:
On one end of the spectrum you have people who believe in strict finder's keeper's rules and don't give a damn about even considering trying to find the rightful owner of something valuable. On the other end you have people that will turn in every little thing to the police. Most of us are somewhere in between.

I don't think any of us would turn in every pulltab or clad find. We've all done this hobby enough, and read enough on this forum and others to know what finds have value. The finds that the original owners were distraught over losing are the same finds that people don't want to give those folks a chance to claim. It's called greed.

I'm sure you find that the majority of detectorist's go to great lengths (myself included) to return items that are personally inscribed or to look at the lost and found notices both at the site and in the paper. I DO NOT see any references here and in the field that we are running astray and becoming greedy.

jb7487 said:

I agree. These subjects are not something that will ever appear in a detector manual, manufacturer or distributor's website, or advertisement.

We've let the bad apples of this hobby run the show long enough, and their poor examples have tightened the noose around all of our necks. It's time to raise the bar. And it may not be comfortable of everyone, and it may be something that some folks would like to ignore, but we are better off for discussing it. The preservation of our hobby depends on it.

Regards,

Buckles

What bad apples? Who's running this show? Ever since I was a kid, all I heard about was the Code of Ethics and clubs promoting the hobby. Take a look at this forum. You will see a section on returned rings. Sections on clubs and heartfelt connections with the public and fellow hunters. Self help sections on proper hunting methods and preservation of our finds. Do you see any rebel sections where we are being told to cause chaos? If someone posts that they hopped a fence in the dark and looted a historic site, the whole forum would jump on them! Give us some credit man. I understand you and a few other member's intentions for developing a better relationship with the public but I think it is going overboard and people are stressed enough with this world never mind more rules being added to the hobby that we engage to get away from life's challenges. Maybe if you focused on one major issue, the reaction would be different.
Your friend, (and one who sells his finds to make a living)
Dave.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a matter of adding new rules to the hobby, but rather, the recognition that there ARE rules, and the public, very often, only gets to hear about the jerks who are leaving gopher holes, trespassing and the like.

WE all know that most folks that md are good folk, return lost items like school rings, take the garbage off the beaches and from the parks, but we still get bad press - mostly from the "you are stealing from us" crowds - the same folks who don't want anyone prospecting, having a claim, mine or "tresspassing" on their public property.

I think most of us here would drop a metal detecting friend who did those sorts of things if we couldn't change their minds about their behavior.

But, darned, that's the crap you hear about.

B

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't think it's a matter of adding new rules to the hobby, but rather, the recognition that there ARE rules, and the public, very often, only gets to hear about the jerks who are leaving gopher holes, trespassing and the like...

...I think most of us here would drop a metal detecting friend who did those sorts of things if we couldn't change their minds about their behavior.

But, darned, that's the crap you hear about.

B

Exactly.

Muddyhandz, there are enough rules out there, and I certainly am not advocating adding any! So please don't paint me like that's what I'm saying. What I would like is is to promote and awareness and understanding of the rules that are out there--so that we all Abide By Them.

BuckleBoy said:
Muddyhandz said:
Dave.

Dave,

I obey the law, and I EXPECT others to do the same--especially when they represent My hobby since they detect as well.

From what you have said, you have no legal responsibility to report anything you find to allow it to be claimed. But such a law can appear at any level--city, county, or state here in the U.S. it seems. If there is no such law in Canada, then you have no reason to be upset or angry in your reply to this topic.

But what I DON'T like is you going around saying that myself and others who want to do the right thing and promote a good image for this hobby of ours are "turncoats."

Please cool off with the personal attacks, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

First of who is going around? That post you are referring to was my only post in that thread. Did I mention names? Personal attack? Do you realize how you made me feel when you expressed your distaste for people who sell their finds? I do that for a living! I also have managed to save the most important stuff for the museum I plan to open and still pay my bills. I have a lot of morals in regards to metal detecting and yet I find myself having difficulty supporting the side you present. Your side would have us crawling with our tails between our legs and brown-nosing everyone including the jerks who have nothing better to do than yell and complain. Your plan is to stir the waters and give politicians an excuse to close more areas to detecting. News flash: The government will continue to take away rights and freedoms in general anyway. If we stay low key then it doesn't give them something to think about. As for enforcing the rules, most of us follow them anyway. Yes, there are bad apples just like in every group. Why should I have to overcompensate for their actions?

Realize how you are putting forth your message and ask yourself if you are offending the good apples.
Dave.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Yes, there are bad apples just like in every group. Why should I have to overcompensate for their actions?

Because you care about this hobby as much as I do.

BuckleBoy said:
Muddyhandz said:
Yes, there are bad apples just like in every group. Why should I have to overcompensate for their actions?

Because you care about this hobby as much as I do.

You and I would agree that our similar morals were able to fight racism and hatred on World news and events. What makes us different in the real world is that you were educated through the institution and believe in making change through the system. I am self-educated, who believes the system is corrupted and we will never make change through it. I believe in the little guy who after barely making ends meet, can sell something that actually belongs to the Earth as she claims all the lost and discarded metal. It is nice for the little guy who realizes that there are very few things they can do anymore unless you are rich and powerful. It is nice to feel we can go on public land and recover something without answering to no one including the tax man. Along as we are respectful to the Earth, (minimal impact) then she will provide. As long as the little guy is respectful to the other little guy's land, the public will be happy. I don't think we should involve ourselves with the "Authorities" and send letters to politicians. We should not give them a reason to say no and involve ourselves with the public (the little people) and bring awareness to them. It is my own public here, that I so desperately want to bring history alive to; where the government has cut back funding and the Archies haven't made a public release in years! The people are the underdog and want their vote! We can open more displays that are properly recorded and bring history to the people.
In general, the people have always been fascinated with what we do and love talking to us. Then there are the few jerks and we shouldn't have to be intimidated by them. They do not represent the majority and our hobby should not be effected. There needs to be more education about being in the field as I think that the undug holes everyone is attributing to the "Bad apples" are probably uncovered by kids, lawnmowers, animals and most of us are unaware. I will never frown on a discussion about proper digging methods. We should ask for permission for private land and high profile public areas. The parks and beaches we have always detected doesn't need someone bugging an official if they can hunt there. Some of us have built relationships with the people who work at these places. Good will, and that could be all for naught if you write to some higher-up sitting behind a desk. Low-key and yet for the people. That's my vote.
Dave.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

-Buck

So you're saying you would not turn in a find, even if it were breaking the law to retain it in your possession.

Over 90% of my finds are at the beach, usually under 8 inches or more of sand and usually knee deep or deeper in the water.

Humm, your asking do I turn in my finds, pay for the police department to run ad in local newspapers and wait to see if someone claims them, of which if someone comes forth the ring they claim may not even be the actual physical ring they lost, only look like it......NO ....I have returned finds I found when someone asked me to look for item, even though they were over a hundred yards away when I found the item, and returned finds when they came up and described item with out seeing it in my pouch.

So tell me BB, have you ever knowingly exceeded the speed limit? If so then you intentionally and on purpose ignored and broke the law, which is punishable by fines, points on your license and possible court appearance, as well as you endangered the life of every person that was on the road with you at that time.

If you ever exceeded the speed limit with a detector in your vehicle then you were also giving this hobby a bad name.................If we use your reasoning.

I am 60 years old, a Vietnam Vet, been under hostile fire, voted in every major election since I turned 21, pay my taxes, paid to see both my kids have a good college education, worked since I was 13 years old, do not hunt private land with out permission, cover up every hole I dig, even at the beach and in the water, and last, but most importantly of all....
I do not remember voting for anyone to be the overseer of my finds ......... :headbang:

It seems a few want to self appoint and dictate to the rest of us what they should and should not do with their finds, if they should keep them or sell them, and if others disagree, then they are "bad apples" and are guilty of all sorts of evil stuff...................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread