Pro Pointer vs Others (I know its been done before)

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this subject has been beaten into the ground over and over and over.... just like everyone one else... I have an opinion too... I but I will back mine up with facts...

so for those who want to know why the Pro Pointer is better.... here it is...

#1 The Pro Pointer IS more sensitive
#2 The Pro Pointer has a proximity sensor (it get faster the closer you get tot he target)
#3 The Pro Pointer has an on off switch its not a button so it is hands free (don't have to hold the button down)
#4 The Pro Pointer has a LED light
#5 The Pro Pointer has a vibrating motor in it that is in sync with the proximity sensor (its vibrates faster the closer you get)
#6 The Pro Pointer is smaller and you can get further into a hole
#7 The Pro Pointer is far far more durable
#8 The Pro Pointer has detection up the shaft not just at the tip (yes that helps a lot)
#9 The Pro Pointer has a 2 YEAR Warranty (but its not likely you ever use it)
#10 The Pro Pointer can be made water proof by covering the speaker holes and the on/off switch

Downfalls of the Pro Pointer

Its costly but well worth it
No modifications can be made but you don't need to
Not waterproof but it can be made to be waterproof

When you have a quality product it speaks for it self... and the Pro Pointer does.

Did I miss anything? so in my opinion the FACTS says it all

Chukers

Upvote 0

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chukers, I have used the bulls eye and the pro pointer and IMHO I think the Pro Pointer is by far the superior pin pointer. I don't know if Frankn has used one or not but he's way off base if he thinks the Pro Pointer isn't worth every cent of the money it costs. It is widely accepted as one of the best pin pointers on the market. I'm not saying it's the best one ever made but it is the best one I have ever used. My battery died in it today and I was lost without it. If you need a great pin pointer don't hesitate buying the Garrett Pro Pointer. BTW it's the only Garrett detector I own. I use Fisher but Garrett hit the nail on the head with the Pro Pointer. :icon_pirat:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You guys missed the point. When I am detecting a yard with my XLT It can pinpoint right over the target and tell me how deep it is. When I dig the plug I usually see the target. If I don't I check hole and plug with the XLT. When I determine which has the target I use the pinpointer. It is a very basic job that takes a few seconds to locate the target. Now, If a $16 tool will do this very basic job in a few seconds Why the H ell would I want to pay $160 to do the same job? I would have to be missing some marbles to pay $160 for a $16 job. THINK ! Frank

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, It's the same as saying that it's crazy to drive a 2011 Nissan Altima when a 1980 Ford Pinto will do the same thing. I guess it boils down to what you can afford or what you are willing to pay for something. When I'm in the field I want the best equipment that I can afford. I got mine online for $115 total with free shipping. I thought that was a deal and after using it I feel like I stole it. In reality he should probably go with the cheaper one if that's all he can afford or is willing to pay. :icon_pirat:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say this but I think this argument is not winnable. I totally agree the propointer is best! I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, especially as it relates to tools and electronics. I know nothing about this cheaper pinpointer, but also know I don't have the skills or time to modify it. I would rather purchase something that works from the get-go without flaws or the nuisance of modification. I must admit, on days when I feel most selfish (please forgive me), I enjoy people NOT wanting the best equipment, because it means more treasure for me. Is that wrong to admit? ???

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dbsmokey, a boss may drive a BMW on a 30 mile commute to work and a employee may drive a Chevy to work on a 30 mile commute, but they both accomplish the same thing. It's just that the boss pays extra for luxury that is not required to do the job. With my HF I can find a target as fast as you can with the pro. It's just that I enjoy thrift and you enjoy the feel of luxury. Hay I can well afford a pro, but why should I ? If I wanted the best I would get a Vibra tec. Frank

bigmike, You did get a good deal, you only $98 extra, and you won't find it any faster than me either. I think you are right, some people have to have the most expensive equipment to enjoy a job. I am not afflicted with that problem! Frank

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Dbsmokey, a boss may drive a BMW on a 30 mile commute to work and a employee may drive a Chevy to work on a 30 mile commute, but they both accomplish the same thing. It's just that the boss pays extra for luxury that is not required to do the job. With my HF I can find a target as fast as you can with the pro. It's just that I enjoy thrift and you enjoy the feel of luxury. Hay I can well afford a pro, but why should I ? If I wanted the best I would get a Vibra tec. Frank

bigmike, You did get a good deal, you only $98 extra, and you won't find it any faster than me either. I think you are right, some people have to have the most expensive equipment to enjoy a job. I am not afflicted with that problem! Frank

German engineering vs others? NOW you've lost the battle, LOL! Better engineering = greater reliability, greater durability, superior function. They DON'T accomplish the same thing, at least as long or as well. Better quality lasts longer, has fewer breakdowns and leaves one stranded less often. I think that's the point!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
DBsmokey, Ah, you got the point right but the facts wrong. They both do the task at the same speed, but there is a difference. My HF has lasted a year. SO, at that rate I could through it away ever year and get a new one for for 8 or 10 YEARS. At the end of that time I would wind up with a new one and you would wind up with a beat up old one like Chukers. Frank

German engineering,you say? Here is a BMW, model Isetta 300. lol

58 Isetta 300-BMW.jpg ***

Last edited:
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dbsmokey said:
Frankn said:

German engineering vs others? NOW you've lost the battle, LOL! Better engineering = greater reliability, greater durability, superior function. They DON'T accomplish the same thing, at least as long or as well. Better quality lasts longer, has fewer breakdowns and leaves one stranded less often. I think that's the point!

you are absolutely correct!

Yes you can get from point A to Point B in a BMW or a Pinto... but how long does the AC work how long will it keep you warm how long will it keep you dry how long will it be before you are stranded... How many Pintos will you have to buy in the next 2 to 5 years to keep you going... That is the point!

Chukers

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
DBsmokey, Ah, you got the point right but the facts wrong. They both do the task at the same speed, but there is a difference. My HF has lasted a year. SO, at that rate I could through it away ever year and get a new one for for 8 or 10 YEARS. At the end of that time I would wind up with a new one and you would wind up with a beat up old one like Chukers. Frank

Ever driven on the autobahn in Germany? I have! They DON'T go the same speed. A Chevy, Fiat, Renault or Opel falls apart at the speed the BMW and Mercedes drive there. EVERYBODY gives way to them! THAT'S the point!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:

yeah a new one that barely qualifies as a pin pointer... yeah it pin points but not by the Pro Pointers standards. By now its obvious you will never leave this alone... call it stubborn... call it argumentative... call it what ever you want... but the facts speak for themselves.

If cost is your only defense then great... its better then no pin pointer at all. if that is all you can afford... but if you can afford more then you know what to get... that why some people drive BMWs and some drive Pintos.

Just don't tell me a HF pin pointer is just as good as a Garrett Pro Pointer... its just not true.

Chukers

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Chukers, you keep saying I can't afford a pro for some reason. In reality I can afford any pinpointer I want. I think I mentioned it several times, go check back and lock it in your memory this time. I think I see the problem you are having. You are using the Whites V3i which has the DD coil. It is notoriously bad at pinpointing. Whites changed back to a concentric because of so many complaints about the bad pinpointing of the DD coil. I use the Whites XLT which is a killer at pinpointing. In about 90% of my signals I just set the coil on the ground and insert a probe in the center and it touches the target. Maybe you should be blowing that money on a new concentric for the V. Frank

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Chukers, you keep saying I can't afford a pro for some reason. In reality I can afford any pinpointer I want. I think I mentioned it several times, go check back and lock it in your memory this time. I think I see the problem you are having. You are using the Whites V3i which has the DD coil. It is notoriously bad at pinpointing. Whites changed back to a concentric because of so many complaints about the bad pinpointing of the DD coil. I use the Whites XLT which is a killer at pinpointing. In about 90% of my signals I just set the coil on the ground and insert a probe in the center and it touches the target. Maybe you should be blowing that money on a new concentric for the V. Frank

nope... wrong again... I switched to the 950 less than a month after I got it. Don't get me started on that subject I'll probably make someone else upset.

I never said you can't afford it... I said that your argument is all about cost... and for some it is important. I have already stated that the HF is the cheaper alternative... which should appease even you... My point is that the Pro Pointer is just better yes $100 better and well worth every hard earned penny we all have worked for.

I have been telling people about the Pro Pointer long before these posts ever show up on this board and I was passionate about it then and even more now...

So be happy I am agreeing with your opinion and the only redeeming quality of the HF pin pointer... ITS CHEAP! ok enough said on this subject. Lets move on to something else. Happy Hunting and have a Great day!

Chukers

Oh BTW my previous detector... Eagle Spectrum... 15+ years on it... I know all about how good it pin points. :icon_thumright:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used 6 different pin pointers. Liked a few. Tried the HB but ended up using the Pro Pointer. Mine pays for itself every time I go detecting. I find my target faster.(PERIOD) If you ever use one you will know what I am talking about.

FYI, Just got one for a club hunt prize $112 including shipping, at A&S Detecting (Detection.net) in California. 1-800-301-6151. Phone orders only. I have order 3 items, shipped fast.

Ed D.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Chukers, How can you say wrong again? I identified a problem you had and a cure that you implemented before you told me about them. I would say that proves that I know what I am talking about. The reason the price difference burns me up is because they both do the same thing at the same speed. Yes the pro comes in a betted looking case. I will give you that, but I bet the components in both cost about the same. Frank

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI...just ordered and received my propointer...looks really nice...bought 2 bounty hunter/fisher units over the past 3 years and they both have given me trouble so hope this one lasts..also, personally i like the way the 10" whites DD coil pinpoints...i sweep left to right, shift 90 degrees, sweep left to right and my target is usually dead center

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, If price is not an object then either you've never used a pro pointer or you just like to argue and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I love my Fisher CZ7a Pro but if price was no object for me I would love to use the Minelab E-TRAC and I'm not crazy enough to think my Fisher is just as good as the E-TRAC but until I can afford it I will have to keep chugging along with my Fisher.:icon_pirat:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally... If I were comparing cars to the two pin pointers in question...

Cen-Tech

o1973_Ford_Pinto_Squire.jpg

Garrett Pro-Pointer

mud02.JPG

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another case of pictures saying a thousand words! Nicely done!!

Lakemonster said:

Cen-Tech

Garrett Pro-Pointer

mud02.JPG

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakemonster said:

Cen-Tech

Garrett Pro-Pointer

mud02.JPG

except the pinto would be under the mud stuck for ever!

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old Pinto Stationwagen had me laughing. The debate, well.... But I get what each of you is saying.

I love my Propointer, which was recommended to me when I searched out getting into detecting. I started detecting without a pin pointer and lasted about 12 days. I did find my first gold ring on day 11 without it (a child's ring) but that was a real struggle. I went to the shop to get the Propointer and they were out of stock. The owner gave me a pin pointer which is no longer available (can't remember what it was), but was great after not having one. I will never hunt without one.

I did get the Propointer when it was back in stock and paid full price (although I knew I could get it online much cheaper). I got it at my local shop to support them. They have given me a lot of help and advice and support our hobby, so it was worth it to support them.

I have used (and overused) my Propointer, since I second guess myself. The learning curve in metal detecting also had me digging everything and pinpointing even the smallest targets. I've chased pennies and dimes around too long, but finally got them. I've got it down now.

The nickel trick taped (or held) to the side, helps increase the distance of the pointer, but I just use my wedding ring on my hand and slide my hand closer to the working end of the Propointer until it just starts beeping, then back off a tiny bit. I can find elusive targets that are deeper than my detector guestimates.

I too have misused my Propointer by hammering dirt and crusts off coins and iron, dropping it, getting it wet and muddy, and it still works great.
Happy Finding, Cindy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions