Questions concerning the Deus configurations

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the next couple of months I am planning on purchasing a Deus. I was wondering about the different configurations that are available. I hear that the WS-4 headphones are not the best, so I have been contemplating on getting the Deus with the WS-5 headphone configuration or even opt to use my wired headphones which leads to my question....

With wired headphones does it plug into the remote and then the remote has wireless connectivity to the coil; so essentially it is a partially wired/wireless configuration? Also, can anyone shed their thoughts concerning the WS-4 headphones, WS-5 and going for the wired configuration?

Thanks.

-John

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only comment on the WS-4 headphones. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they sound and enjoy using them. I do not think of them as less of a headphone than other full size models I use on other detectors (Whites full-size wireless and CTX3030 full-size wireless phones)

HH
Robert

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John,

I've been using the Deus the last few months, and can share my personal thoughts about the headphones options.

The WS4 headphones sound good, are nice and light, but simply aren't comfortable to me. Mine fall off of my ears sometimes.

The WS5s are much more comfortable, but I've only used them here at the office and not in the field.

A regular pair of wired headphones plug into the bottom of the control module, with a 1/8" plug. You can now get the a version of the Deus from the factory with lightweight wired headphones; they use this plug. However I tried my Grey Ghost NDTs with an 1/8" cable plugged into the control module and personally liked that better than the WS4s. It just felt more natural while hunting to me (and kept my ears warm in the cold fall air too :) ). But I didn't like the length of the cord which was too short when I set down the detector to dig a target.

But I'm going to try one more option... There is an adapter to use the WS4's headphone module with regular headphones via an 1/8" plug. Next time I'm out with it I'm going to try that with the Grey Ghosts, and the module in my coat pocket. It would be a bit like using the CTX 3030's wireless module which you are familiar with...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi John,

But I'm going to try one more option... There is an adapter to use the WS4's headphone module with regular headphones via an 1/8" plug. Next time I'm out with it I'm going to try that with the Grey Ghosts, and the module in my coat pocket. It would be a bit like using the CTX 3030's wireless module which you are familiar with...

Hope that helps.

This is exactly what I had envisioned for this. I am thinking on getting the configuration with the wired headphones and using it this way where I can use the headphones I already own and also save some money rather then get the WS-5 headphones.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with the hard wired phones are you need an adapter for the standard 1/4 male plug. If the control unit is mounted on the shaft it gets in the way of my grip on the handle. I wear the control unit on a strap around my neck with the phones pluged in. The unit is protected , I can see it without my glasses and you are not tethered to the machine.

Might want to give it a try.
Piddle

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only problem with the hard wired phones are you need an adapter for the standard 1/4 male plug. If the control unit is mounted on the shaft it gets in the way of my grip on the handle. I wear the control unit on a strap around my neck with the phones pluged in. The unit is protected , I can see it without my glasses and you are not tethered to the machine.

Might want to give it a try.
Piddle
Sounds like a good idea. The control unit is small enough and it sounds like you almost wear it like a charm or something, :icon_thumleft:

This is the info, that I was really wondering about. Thanks.

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I have the ws5 headphones and would only recommend these. Best for the money. I would give Bart a call from big boys hobbies concerning the price with the ws5. These will ease your mind if the extra money is a concern! I also got the plug in phones with mine too. Have not used them yet though.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been using the ws4 headphones for quite a while I really like them in the summer ur head wont get as hot as it normally would with full size headohones, I will however be picking up a pair of either ws5 headphones for winter months once you go wireless its Very hard to go back

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the ws5 headphones and would only recommend these. Best for the money. I would give Bart a call from big boys hobbies concerning the price with the ws5. These will ease your mind if the extra money is a concern! I also got the plug in phones with mine too. Have not used them yet though.

Thanks Eric!

I personally LOVE the WS-4 version. I like the ability to hear the machine AND if someone walks up on me. They fit me very very well. Everyone is different.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used both on mine but my preference was the WS 5. I liked having the full headphones because I wear glasses and the backphones would cause them to dig into my ears. There were some complaints about the WS 5's being too loose and falling off your head but I always wear a cap when detecting and never had a problem with them. I don't like tight fitting headphones anyway. I also had the adapter to plug regular headphones into the WS 4 control but never used it because wireless is the way to go !!!
Pesc

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly what I had envisioned for this. I am thinking on getting the configuration with the wired headphones and using it this way where I can use the headphones I already own and also save some money rather then get the WS-5 headphones.

I tried the WS4 wired headphone adapter today... and loved it! It was nice to be able to drop that little WS4 module in my pocket and forget about it, with the feel on my head that I was accustomed to... And I found a large cent with it during my only hour of hunting today! :hello2:

Attachments

• complete resized.jpeg
    complete resized.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 106
  • disassembled resized.jpg
    disassembled resized.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1825 front a.jpeg
    1825 front a.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1825 reverse a.jpg
    1825 reverse a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the WS4 wired headphone adapter today... and loved it! It was nice to be able to drop that little WS4 module in my pocket and forget about it, with the feel on my head that I was accustomed to... And I found a large cent with it during my only hour of hunting today! :hello2:

Oh wow, so it adapts off of one of the existing WS-4 headphones?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. The WS4 headphone module can be removed from the "backband" - which is XP language for the speaker cups and band (it goes around the back of your head). The backband is designed to be replaceable as they do occasionally break. That WS4 module is the important part - the black round piece in my photo (the picture is the back side of it, usually attached to the backband)...the backwards "C" clip thing is the adapter used to plug in wired headphones to the WS4 module. I put this little adapter on the WS4 module and plugged in the headphones.....then it went in my coat pocket. The feel while hunting is similar to using the CTX's wireless module, except much smaller.

Alternatively, you can plug into the remote control (phone sized box mounted on the shaft) and put that in your pocket. The down side to that concept is pulling it out of your pocket to change settings, to see the visual ID while hunting (I don't look at it much myself!) or more importantly, to use the pinpoint function.

I personally didn't like plugging onto the remote control while it is attached to the rod. When I put the detector down to dig a hole it moved around a lot because the unit is so light.

To to me this latest setup is the most comfortable.... As you can see others like different variations! It's all what feels best to you but it's good to have options!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread