RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Not one to laugh at someones misfortune; but in such cases where stoopid tards knock some sense into them selves thn I am going t crack up.

-

Not his own fault for sure! I bet everything he had parents who shout at him as a kid (don´t climb on trees, don´t do this and don´t do that"...
This guy has absolutely no experiences and cant´t recognize dead wood and what could happen at all! You learn this essential things as kid and not as a full grown man :icon_thumright:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a metric sort of person. Standard just makes no sense to me at all, I can convert it in my head on the fly, but standard still makes no sense.

Funny part is all the people who claim down to the inch is far more accurate than down to the millimetre.

Sure.
I.... build homes using the standard rule. 16th of an inch is as small as I go!! Metric. Pain in da ass! I also work on guitars ... A lot of imports now days.... MM , inches... .....
Sorry... I'm not eurapeein!

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
-

You real like Rukola?

I can not get friend with it´s very special taste! I even can not real describe it, so I simply call the taste "brown" :laughing7: Years ago we got a HUGE monster cricket into the heater of our car and this critter burned very slowly over weeks on the heating cables. The smell of it was very close to the taste of Rukola!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Yep. good stuff, especially if you buy it from a grocery store in Germany. It is already a couple days old and holds more bitter spice to it.

The other one translated into German is brennessel. Had a lady some years ago in Germany tell me I could not pick that plant because I would get itchy. I showed her my bag and my hands and said see no itch. She asked what I was going to do with it, I told her I was going to eat it, that my family and I really liked it. She called the gemeinde in the village and reported me for attempting to poison my self and my family. No kidding, ordungsampt actually came to my house, could not stand those guys most the time. The old lady had even waited on the sidewalk in front of my house for them to show up.

They said that they got a report from someone claiming that I was going to poison my self and my family. I told them what it was I picked and that I was going to make frikadella with it, dry some and use some in a home made barbecue sauce. He says to me that he has never been able to make any good grill sauce, but has a great way to make a honey curry dipping sauce using it. Then tells me that if I make my frikadella skinny and long like a pommes and bake it until crispy using that sauce that it really bring out the flavour.

That old lady lost her mind, said we had all gone crazy. She was really mad. LOL

But the same lady about 2 years later was in the forest when I was picking mushrooms, and she walks up to me and says do you have you permit from the gemeinde to pick here. Knowing that she was the same troll that likely only eat boiled canned food from penny I had told her no but I did not need one either. She says you do need one that she is the only person in the village authorized to harvest mushrooms in this forest. I said no I do not, it is a new German program where Germany allows Americans to come over take all of your natural resources. I said I am serious, I even have diplomatic immunity and showed her my agency ID.

She tells me but your not American, I said well I am, its just your filthy dialect (Pfälzisch) that has to be translated on national German TV does not understand proper German.

She then tells me, so what mushrooms are you picking and I showed her. She had recognized like 3 and told me that the rest where deadly poisonous. She said that you can only eat the only that look like they have sponge gills, I told her no, thats no true at all, this is just a safe practice in regards to what your speaking of.

She called and reported me again, same dude showed up to my house, but by now we knew each other very well and had exchanged many cooking ideas. He told her that he really could not do anything that if the American Diplomats wanted to come to Germany and poison them selves that it is their right. Man she went off again.

Later that winter, me and Marco (ordungsampt) where in the forest harvesting Chaga. Just walking around with a ladder to climb up into the trees with and saw off the chaga. We had been joking for about 2 hours if we saw that old lady. He had this elaborate plan to tell her some really funny stuff. But then she came around about a half hour later; all she got out of her mouth was "excuse me young men, what exactly do you think your doing". I started cracking up so bad that he started laughing, about all she really understood was we where picking magic mushrooms for magic tea.

She walked off all pissy saying how crazy we where.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure.
I.... build homes using the standard rule. 16th of an inch is as small as I go!! Metric. Pain in da ass! I also work on guitars ... A lot of imports now days.... MM , inches... .....
Sorry... I'm not eurapeein!

yeah, Im not european either, just grew up with metric and lived it my whole life.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Why, it just makes more mathematical sense in nearly every application.

-

I am absolutely 100% convinced that the metrical system makes mathematical more sense but may you can describe why you think different. It´s real interesting me!!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
-

I am absolutely 100% convinced that the metrical system makes mathematical more sense but may you can describe why you think different. It´s real interesting me!!

Your kidding right?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Millimeters, centimeters.... blah! Inches baby!! and feet!!

I like the stuff that comes in... pints! quarts! 5ths!!!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Millimeters, centimeters.... blah! Inches baby!! and feet!!

I like the stuff that comes in... pints! quarts! 5ths!!!

You know you like Grams as well; I bet you have at least 200 grams laying around right now. LOL

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not kidding Buddy! Makes absolutely no sense for me to use fraction like 5/8" as measurements or use it for mathematics.

OK... So why do you think I disagree with using metric over standard?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

Thanks for the info. I picked up a book this summer about common weeds that you can pick and eat. One that I picked quite of bit of was lamb's quarter just rinse off the leaves toss in a pan with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic. It makes a nice replacement for spinach.

Feldsalat, Cornsalad or Valeriaanella. no matter what you call it in which ever language, it is one of my favourite salads. I like good mix of this with some Rucola (Rukola, Rauke, Arugula); about a 50/50 mix.

Another good one that you can use that most people just discard of as a pest plant is Urtica, its a stinging nettle. But take the leaves from that, wash them really well of course, shred them really fine and you can mix it under with all sorts of salads, greens and meats; but I like to make frikadella with mine or even better dried sausage.

Some very lean hog mixed in with some moose liver fat that has been boiled down and cooled, take that top layer off the pot and that is what you mix under, then mix in your spices, dont forget the Urtica, blow all that into your castings, then smoke it, cold smoke it, heck cool dry it. Just let it age for a few months real nice.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob,

Thanks for the info. I picked up a book this summer about common weeds that you can pick and eat. One that I picked quite of bit of was lamb's quarter just rinse off the leaves toss in a pan with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic. It makes a nice replacement for spinach.

Yeah I know it, but only from the seeds for putting into bread. Good stuff. Never had the leaves.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Time for another coffee buddy....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Oddjob is saying that imperial measures make no sense and agrees the metric is more reasonable....:laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

I am not kidding Buddy! Makes absolutely no sense for me to use fraction like 5/8" as measurements or use it for mathematics.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

For the folks that dabble in ancient coins and don't have the catalogues(which happen to be very expensive) this site might be useful and it's free.

Ancient Coins: Roman, Greek, Byzantine and Celtic Numismatic Reference for Attribution and Values

Use to find coins in Europe that I could not ID; never held an interest in it really. But I had a mate who lived in France, he made cheese for a living and he loved coins. So about every two months we would have some new coins for him and he would have some good organic cheese for us.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Rook, Yep they're bursting with nutrients they almost give you a buzz when you have them as a salad....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Our neighbor's aunt has a business supplying restaurants and health food stores and always gives them way to much so we get some care packages every so often.

Turns out it's their son's 2nd birthday so I brought over a mint 1945 mercury dime in a nice plastic holder as a gift/keepsake and as a thank you for the micro greens.

That's one nice jester. Something he'll always remember.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good morning forum friends. Sounds like the Standard unit of measurement is in trouble.:laughing7: I think as long as we import metric products, we will need two sets of ie. Tools, rulers, cooking utensils, and other different ways to measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread