Recent Lake Superior agate finds

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really should be getting caught up on work, or chores, or gardening but I wanted to share some finds from a recent field trip to some gravel pits in northern MN.

Agate-Pit1BigRedWhite-Img_1730SSS.jpg Agate-Pit1BigRedWhiteQ-Img_1729SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1BigParallel-Img_1734SSS.jpg Agate-Pit1BigParallelQ-Img_1735SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1GrayFace-Img_1742SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1Long-Img_1736SSS.jpg Agate-Pit1LongQ-Img_1737SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1PinkInsideQ-Img_1747SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1RedFace-Img_1738SSS.jpg Agate-Pit1RedFaceQ-Img_1740SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1RedWhitePointed-Img_1743SSS.jpg Agate-Pit1RedWhitePointedQ-Img_1745SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1BigOrangeBlueQ-Img_1732SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

Jhaddad8

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful!!! I am headed to Detroit in a few weeks to visit a friend and hope to be able to find some nice stuff like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a photo or two of tumbled agate? I'd love to see if the pits level out. Never tumbled anything, but I'm sort of considering adding it as a hobby.

I know your question is to marinedad, but I thought the thread in the link below might help answer it. It has some before and after tumble pics. In short, yes pits can level out - the deeper the pit the more time the tumble will likely take. Don't let it discourage you, just be patient if you tumble - It IS worth it IMHO. :)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/313008-1st-2nd-rock-tumble-pics.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Eric ... wow ... impressive results. Obviously "tumble time" is a huge factor. I'm going to read up on tumbling to see if it will work with our mobile lifestyle in an RV.

Maybe putting the stones inside the tires as we drive would work. <lol>

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting pics of before and after tumble eric, I am picture posting challenged' and agree longer tumbling time for better results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MeteorMiner,
I have not been to Wolverine #2 mine. It certainly sounds like an interesting place to look.

It surprises me that you can use a metal detector to find agates. Have you found any yourself using a detector? Only a handful of the agates I have found are attracted to a magnet, and all of those I have to hang the magnet on a string to even tell. It surprises me there would be enough conductivity in the basalt to set a detector off. That said, I do not have much experience with detectors and am always open to new possibilities.

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah only the copper replacement ones will set off a detector but they are valuable and worth hunting if you're in the area, I've never tried hunting them personally I live in Ca I just saw the thread and remembered this thread. If you find any I may be interested in purchasing one lol. http://www.mindat.org/mesg-15-187292.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most intriguing, MeteorMiner. Those are beautiful. I have never found anything like that. If I ever did it would be hard to part with.

They do look difficult to find. Though quite worth the reward I would think.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions