REV WAR South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers - FINALLY!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Anyone who has dug with me in the past knows I'm a button guy, but more specifically an early military enthusiast. Tracking down the remote sites that saw occupation by both the British and Continental troops has become a bit of an obsession. Making things more difficult is that I dig and live in the lowcountry of SC...an area of the east coast that has been pounded to death by relic hunters.

Three years ago I landed on a section of coastline that was reported to have been occupied by Francis Marion, finds were few and far between until a landed a continential lottery button. Nearly 2 years ago to the day, I found myself back there and finally dug my first continental USA - a partial but still high on the bucket list. Over the last 2 years I've dug the occasional unmarked pewter, correct construction with integral cast loop shank, but nothing left to ID the unit. I knew there had to be a marked SC in there somewhere, but hundreds of hunts yielded little but musketballs.

Flying a night sortie tonight, so figured I may as well hit the coast. First grid yielded no targets, so figured I was finally done and started back to the truck. CTX gives off the familiar sound of pewter 12-15...dig the plug and look at the familiar shank of an american made pewter button.

20190130_101424.jpg

With little expectation I flipped it over and nearly had a heart attack....

20190130_101420.jpg 20190130_101556.jpg

After catching my breath and texting pictures to everyone I know...Abe, Brad, Stef, DownNDirty, Gheenoe :laughing7: I realized I finally had my #1 bucket lister, a South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers button. These guys were mounted light infantry, organized in 1775, and known for their liberty or death caps. An arm of Francis Marion's army, these guys terrified the British in the SC back country until the fall of Charleston in 1780.

After a light cleaning and wax coat

20190130_135121.jpg 20190130_141616.jpg

Still shocked with the condition of this enlisted button

20190130_140831.jpg 20190130_141022.jpg

Here's a group pic of the buttons reunited, all from the same 100' area and Don's ID A3SC.d

20190130_143803.jpg 20190130_130544.jpg

Looks like 2019 is off to an incredible start- as always thanks for looking and good luck out there.

Upvote 49

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats again, Jon!! :occasion14: You earned that one buddy! That button is in outstanding condition. I can't think of a better military button for a South Carolina resident to dig. Also a very scarce button. I'm voting banner!

Last edited:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats to you.

That is an awesome piece of history.

It's persistence that paid off for you. Knowing the place could hold the artifact. I hope to one day add a few old revolutionary buttons to my collection.

They were here in Pittsburgh, pa where I am located. Lots of french and Indian etc history here. Just hard finding untouched land.

Jer

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats again, Jon!! :occasion14: You earned that one buddy! That button is in outstanding condition. I can't think of a better military button for a South Carolina resident to dig. Also a very scarce button. I'm voting banner!

Hopefully there's another one in there for you Glenn, thanks for the banner nod bud

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to you.

That is an awesome piece of history.

It's persistence that paid off for you. Knowing the place could hold the artifact. I hope to one day add a few old revolutionary buttons to my collection.

They were here in Pittsburgh, pa where I am located. Lots of french and Indian etc history here. Just hard finding untouched land.

Jer

Pewter with low lead content has a tough time inland unless the soil/moisture is just right. That being said, certainly lots of early occupation in PA

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy, I'm so stoked for you. That's an amazing find and you've certainly put in the hours to make it something to be proud of. I'd love to find one of those early US rev war buttons some day. Congrats man. Don't think I've ever seen one of those posted on tnet before. Banner vote from me!

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I certainly know how you feel!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buddy, I'm so stoked for you. That's an amazing find and you've certainly put in the hours to make it something to be proud of. I'd love to find one of those early US rev war buttons some day. Congrats man. Don't think I've ever seen one of those posted on tnet before. Banner vote from me!

Thanks Ryan, we are WAY overdue for a dig...all that marriage and having kids stuff is getting in the way. Let me know when your around to link up and thanks for the banner vote

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a profound thing to hunt and find the white whale. Where does one go now that the madness and obsession have been sated? Probably the banner, and after that I do not know.

Congratulations on your historic local find. It's good to see that you really know what it is and appreciate it.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well deserved VMI :icon_thumright: The pic with all three is killer!!! All pewter ta boot :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Jon. I can hear the enthusiasm in your post. Awesome find.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a profound thing to hunt and find the white whale. Where does one go now that the madness and obsession have been sated? Probably the banner, and after that I do not know.

Congratulations on your historic local find. It's good to see that you really know what it is and appreciate it.

Well said, every now and then an ultra rare button is dug and the digger is none the wiser... Over cleaning, improper preservation etc definitely makes you grimace when you see the before and afters sometimes. Not sure where to go next, probably a early plate would be icing in the cake lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread