REV WAR South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers - FINALLY!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Anyone who has dug with me in the past knows I'm a button guy, but more specifically an early military enthusiast. Tracking down the remote sites that saw occupation by both the British and Continental troops has become a bit of an obsession. Making things more difficult is that I dig and live in the lowcountry of SC...an area of the east coast that has been pounded to death by relic hunters.

Three years ago I landed on a section of coastline that was reported to have been occupied by Francis Marion, finds were few and far between until a landed a continential lottery button. Nearly 2 years ago to the day, I found myself back there and finally dug my first continental USA - a partial but still high on the bucket list. Over the last 2 years I've dug the occasional unmarked pewter, correct construction with integral cast loop shank, but nothing left to ID the unit. I knew there had to be a marked SC in there somewhere, but hundreds of hunts yielded little but musketballs.

Flying a night sortie tonight, so figured I may as well hit the coast. First grid yielded no targets, so figured I was finally done and started back to the truck. CTX gives off the familiar sound of pewter 12-15...dig the plug and look at the familiar shank of an american made pewter button.

20190130_101424.jpg

With little expectation I flipped it over and nearly had a heart attack....

20190130_101420.jpg 20190130_101556.jpg

After catching my breath and texting pictures to everyone I know...Abe, Brad, Stef, DownNDirty, Gheenoe :laughing7: I realized I finally had my #1 bucket lister, a South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers button. These guys were mounted light infantry, organized in 1775, and known for their liberty or death caps. An arm of Francis Marion's army, these guys terrified the British in the SC back country until the fall of Charleston in 1780.

After a light cleaning and wax coat

20190130_135121.jpg 20190130_141616.jpg

Still shocked with the condition of this enlisted button

20190130_140831.jpg 20190130_141022.jpg

Here's a group pic of the buttons reunited, all from the same 100' area and Don's ID A3SC.d

20190130_143803.jpg 20190130_130544.jpg

Looks like 2019 is off to an incredible start- as always thanks for looking and good luck out there.

Upvote 49

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Jon on your recovery of this special button. I share your enthusiasm for Rev
War buttons, especially those found in the Carolinas! They are getting very hard to find, as you said.
Keith

Thanks Keith, time to update my avatar picture

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding that special button of yours, pewter is a very hard one to find still in good enough shape. I found a pewter US button in the fresh water of Lake Ontario. I felt like I was the only person who truly thought it was a treasure, just because it was and still is in such great shape (also the War of 1812 just doesn't get as many likes as other wars do,lol) All I'm trying to say is I can identify with how you feel. Now go get that plate (a Rev plate is very high on my list)

Definitely a small circle of folks who understand the history and rarity of rev war era buttons. Thanks Treb

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button (s) VMI.
Congrats on digging a nice piece of early local American history.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such an amazing recovery! Super happy for you pal. I know how much time and research you put into this hobby. Rev War items are so special. As you said previously it’s a very small group of people that truly appreciate how special these finds are. But those few are very passionate about history and the sacrifices that were made by the soldiers and settlers that lost these items. Keep doing what you do buddy. I always enjoy seeing your incredible finds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Great button find...congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Such an amazing recovery! Super happy for you pal. I know how much time and research you put into this hobby. Rev War items are so special. As you said previously it’s a very small group of people that truly appreciate how special these finds are. But those few are very passionate about history and the sacrifices that were made by the soldiers and settlers that lost these items. Keep doing what you do buddy. I always enjoy seeing your incredible finds

Thanks Abe, I was pretty sure that most wouldn't appreciate how rare a state rev button is to dig. I've dug gold, silver and loads of civil war stuff, but in 5 years I've never seen one...or heck even been able to buy one. Digging British pewters is the next best target in the plug and even those are a once a year kind of find for me. When I realized it was marked, few words can describe the rush of emotions. Happy to be able to share it here with those who can truly appreciate the local history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions