REV WAR South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers - FINALLY!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Anyone who has dug with me in the past knows I'm a button guy, but more specifically an early military enthusiast. Tracking down the remote sites that saw occupation by both the British and Continental troops has become a bit of an obsession. Making things more difficult is that I dig and live in the lowcountry of SC...an area of the east coast that has been pounded to death by relic hunters.

Three years ago I landed on a section of coastline that was reported to have been occupied by Francis Marion, finds were few and far between until a landed a continential lottery button. Nearly 2 years ago to the day, I found myself back there and finally dug my first continental USA - a partial but still high on the bucket list. Over the last 2 years I've dug the occasional unmarked pewter, correct construction with integral cast loop shank, but nothing left to ID the unit. I knew there had to be a marked SC in there somewhere, but hundreds of hunts yielded little but musketballs.

Flying a night sortie tonight, so figured I may as well hit the coast. First grid yielded no targets, so figured I was finally done and started back to the truck. CTX gives off the familiar sound of pewter 12-15...dig the plug and look at the familiar shank of an american made pewter button.

20190130_101424.jpg

With little expectation I flipped it over and nearly had a heart attack....

20190130_101420.jpg 20190130_101556.jpg

After catching my breath and texting pictures to everyone I know...Abe, Brad, Stef, DownNDirty, Gheenoe :laughing7: I realized I finally had my #1 bucket lister, a South Carolina 3rd Regiment of Rangers button. These guys were mounted light infantry, organized in 1775, and known for their liberty or death caps. An arm of Francis Marion's army, these guys terrified the British in the SC back country until the fall of Charleston in 1780.

After a light cleaning and wax coat

20190130_135121.jpg 20190130_141616.jpg

Still shocked with the condition of this enlisted button

20190130_140831.jpg 20190130_141022.jpg

Here's a group pic of the buttons reunited, all from the same 100' area and Don's ID A3SC.d

20190130_143803.jpg 20190130_130544.jpg

Looks like 2019 is off to an incredible start- as always thanks for looking and good luck out there.

Upvote 49

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now, one can only imagine what and where that button has been.Why it was lost etc. such awesomely wonderful history and you have a tiny piece of it. totally a center piece for sure. congrats on the super special find.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on recovering such a significant piece of early SC history. I know it means a lot to you.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job you deserve all those great finds and have earned them Well done my Friend Tommy

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your bucket list button. I'm happy for you as I can actually say I kinda know how it feels!! LOL

Haha it was hard not to be super envious of your 2nd SC, these state rev buttons just aren't dug often. Pewter degrades inland, and the known sites are hunted out or destroyed by the urban sprawl. 5 years here and have never seen an SC pewter. Nothing again the British regimentals or the USA, but to dig a piece of early SC history is nuts.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Jon on your recovery of this special button. I share your enthusiasm for Rev
War buttons, especially those found in the Carolinas! They are getting very hard to find, as you said.
Keith

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now, one can only imagine what and where that button has been.Why it was lost etc. such awesomely wonderful history and you have a tiny piece of it. totally a center piece for sure. congrats on the super special find.

Spot on, that's why I love these early pewters

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding that special button of yours, pewter is a very hard one to find still in good enough shape. I found a pewter US button in the fresh water of Lake Ontario. I felt like I was the only person who truly thought it was a treasure, just because it was and still is in such great shape (also the War of 1812 just doesn't get as many likes as other wars do,lol) All I'm trying to say is I can identify with how you feel. Now go get that plate (a Rev plate is very high on my list)

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Any button from that era is number one on my bucket list! Congratulations on the find and also for not destroying it during the cleaning process!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve, can't beat diggin a state pewter. So much history in that 3
I know the feeling. I dug a Pennsylvania state pewter (3rd Battalion Pennsylvania) about 24 years ago. Wish I still had it, but the offer was too attractive.
3BP Front.jpg.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread