Rolex!!!!

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never re post things but when I found the Rolex two years ago I wasn't part of this group so I figured I would share with you all. Some of you may have seen it on other groups but I guess most haven't. When I first started detecting that's all I could think a bunch of Rolex, Diamond rings, and Spanish ship wreck treasure ending up in the scoop then I woke up to reality but still one Rolex is better than none. Had an offer for $2,800 on it. I kindly declined and still it's sits in the saftey deposit box at the bank. I even did the water test on the face and the water should bead off the face. Thanks for looking and happy hunting all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 20

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the great things about luxury watches is that most of them have a serial number engraved on the case. The first step to determine if you have found a genuine, legally obtained piece, is to check for the serial number of the watch and contact the Rolex headquarters to ask them if the watch has been reported missing. Rolex watches have two numbers listed on their case: a reference number and a serial number. Reference number indicates the type of a watch while the serial number tells when the watch was made. The numbers are engraved on the case, right between the lugs. Nearest the 12 o'clock position is the reference number, and nearest the 6 o'clock position is the serial number.

Typically, Rolex owners register their serial numbers with Rolex USA and are able to report it as lost or stolen. If the new owner ever presents the watch to an authorized Rolex service center for repair or authentication, the watch will be located and returned to the owner.

Another great online tool to check the sourcing of your watch is the Rolex Tracker. Rolex Tracker tries to cut down on crime by ensuring that all Rolex watches are traceable and difficult to resell after being stolen or reported as lost. Original owners can register their watch and also report if the watch has been stolen or misplaced.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll assume you would rather return the watch to its rightful owner rather than be 'tagged' with stolen property--so I offer the above comments and suggestion.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don.......[/FONT]

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info Don. Funny thing is when I read the title and text I was going to reply with the same info. The only difference of info is we say "pinched" here in the NY metro area, instead of "tagged" lol.

That said. Great find. I once found a Cartier watch on a commercial dive and looked up the owner. He was kind enough to pay me a 10% finders fee on a $15k watch. I'd like to say that's customary but quite often it's not...

Steve

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is a great find! Good luck with the registry info!

Mackaydon - Great Info! I will store that in the back of my mind somewhere for future reference if the need every arises!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I FOUND A ROLEX ONE TIME AND IT DIDNT LOOK LIKE YOURS . WAIT THAT WAS A DAMN ROLAIDS LYING ON THE GROUND . FINE PEICE YOU HAVE THERE .

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be so excited to make a find like that. There has to be a legal president to recovering a watch like that? I have been told there are marked diamonds and have to be returned also. I have only sold one of my rings, and only to a nice lady who fell in love with it. I have always wondered what the legalities are on selling things? I'm sure a lawyer could help you on this great find?

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. How come it looks like steel in one photo and gold in the other? Which is it?

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never re post things but when I found the Rolex two years ago I wasn't part of this group so I figured I would share with you all. Some of you may have seen it on other groups but I guess most haven't. When I first started detecting that's all I could think a bunch of Rolex, Diamond rings, and Spanish ship wreck treasure ending up in the scoop then I woke up to reality but still one Rolex is better than none. Had an offer for $2,800 on it. I kindly declined and still it's sits in the saftey deposit box at the bank. I even did the water test on the face and the water should bead off the face. Thanks for looking and happy hunting all.

Those are excellent finds, great job

OP
OP
Y

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. How come it looks like steel in one photo and gold in the other? Which is it?

Thanks. Just the lighting is terrible in the second photo. The first photo is accurate of how the watch looks. The second photo was just me doing the water test. The band is stainless steel and the bezel is 18k white gold.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!
My $300 Seiko Pales in comparison but I guess it can not be traced. lol

OP
OP
Y

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be so excited to make a find like that. There has to be a legal president to recovering a watch like that? I have been told there are marked diamonds and have to be returned also. I have only sold one of my rings, and only to a nice lady who fell in love with it. I have always wondered what the legalities are on selling things? I'm sure a lawyer could help you on this great find

Well I took it to two different places one guy offered $1,700 for it and I turned it down then he offered $1,900 and I still rejected the offer. The other place was a buyer the was in for the weekend from out of town about an hour or two buying for his jewelry store. First I showed him a Paneria watch that was completely crusted and in terrible condition. He offered me $300 for it and I was completely amazed thinking it was garbage and no one had use for it but something told me to hold onto it. Glad I did. Next I showed him the rolex I told him I found everything metal detecting. He was quick to offer $2,400 I turned it down then he offered $2,800 and that sounded so good and I was on edge to take it. Still in the back of my head I didn't want any issues selling it to him then questions being asked later saying it was lost. It had been it the water a little while because on the back of the band there is a little rolex emblem to latch it and un latch and it was kind of corroded there when I opened it once the little crown popped off the band. I was thinking about getting it repaired and taking a few links out to wear it. Watch ticks fine I just don't want to take it to anyone to do a crappy repair on the crown. I took it to one jewelry store when I first found it and they suggested sending it in thru them to rolex for a $500 cleaning or what not which no way I was doing that.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a very valuable find. I'm always amazed at how polarizing it is when someone post a find like this with the folks that say you should find the owner and the ones that say "finders keepers". Whichever side you find yourself sitting on you feel like your position is the right one. So I guess that makes everyone right or everyone wrong - just all in how you look at it. I'll withhold my opinion since it isn't for me to say what the finder should do.

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Datejust. Here's the deal with these: if it was reported stolen Rolex will confiscate it if it ever makes its way into an RSC (Rolex Service Center). The RSC is where Rolex tunes up/overhauls its watches (there are 4 RSCs in the U.S.). If all maintenance, etc, is performed at a local jeweler/watchmaker, then there'd be no confiscation. Some Rolex authorized watchmakers outsource to the RSC too, so there's that (just ask). If it needs servicing, I'd find a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account who does the work in-house.

(Edited to add):
The case should fully waterproof, but since you don't know the service history, you don't know the integrity of the gaskets (i.e. if it will leak). If water gets into the case, the only thing that will save it is an overhaul at the RSC, and you're talking probably close to a grand in repairs at that point.

Last edited:

eu4ia

Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on what state you're in, appropriation of lost property could be a crime. If there's a reasonable effort that you can do to find the rightful owner then maybe that is what should be done. I like watches and always wanted a Rolex. I'd rather wait to get one as a gift or be able to purchase one myself without the worrying if it'll be confiscated during repairs / cleaning etc. while at a jewelry store. Im sure the owner would be very grateful if it was returned. That by itself may be more rewarding than the find itself. Just a thought.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that my two cents count for anything, but I feel strong enough on this issue that I will put it in anyway.

Perhaps this multi-thousand dollar watch just belonged to some rich old man who has more money than he knows what to do with, but what if that is not the case? What if that watch has sentimental value to the owner? Maybe his now deceased wife had given him the watch as a gift? Or maybe his father had handed it down to him? It was probably a fairly devastating feeling for the owner when he discovered that he had lost his watch. As the finder of it, you have the distinct opportunity and ability to return it to the rightful owner. Bottom line is this: if YOU lost your Rolex watch would you want it back? I'm sure the owner of that watch would have the same answer that you would.

That being said, if you make a valiant attempt to find the owner and are unsuccessful, (it wasn't registered for some reason, the listed owner can't be located, etc), then you have done all that you can. In that case, wear it with pride.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions