Rolex!!!!

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never re post things but when I found the Rolex two years ago I wasn't part of this group so I figured I would share with you all. Some of you may have seen it on other groups but I guess most haven't. When I first started detecting that's all I could think a bunch of Rolex, Diamond rings, and Spanish ship wreck treasure ending up in the scoop then I woke up to reality but still one Rolex is better than none. Had an offer for $2,800 on it. I kindly declined and still it's sits in the saftey deposit box at the bank. I even did the water test on the face and the water should bead off the face. Thanks for looking and happy hunting all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 20

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I spend my hard earned money on a detector and legally find something that someone has lost I now take over ownership and the person that lost it is just out. IMO, there is no difference in finding a Rolex or finding an IHC, they are both mine regardless. When I lose something and it needs replacing I buy another one.
It is every ones right to agree or disagree with my opinion and since I have thick skin I won't be bothered either way with others opinion.
On the bright side, when it stops raining I'm going out and look for items that others have lost.:occasion14:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I spend my hard earned money on a detector and legally find something that someone has lost I now take over ownership and the person that lost it is just out. IMO, there is no difference in finding a Rolex or finding an IHC, they are both mine regardless. When I lose something and it needs replacing I buy another one.
It is every ones right to agree or disagree with my opinion and since I have thick skin I won't be bothered either way with others opinion.
On the bright side, when it stops raining I'm going out and look for items that others have lost.:occasion14:

Question: Let's say you were with detecting buddies, and when done started hanging out chatting and maybe grabbing a bite and accidentally left your detector behind without thinking. Half an hour later you realize you left it there and went back to where you left it and it was still there, you even had you name written on the control housing, except someone picked it up right after you left and now claimed it. Would you expect to get it back or be angry if the person that "found" it refused to return it to you? Or would you just walk away and buy a new one? Just curious.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find OP.

I can't say I agree with what is being said by many of the other members but to each his own. I don't think that just because someone lost something that they are foolish or irresponsible and don't deserve to get whatever they lost back. I guess it's just a matter of morals and personal opinions....

Either way don't let all this back and forth distract from your amazing find. Congratulations, and do with it what you please.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend has lost both her high school and college rings over the years. She doesn't miss them and could care less if someone showed up at her door with them in hand. They meant a lot to her 30 years ago, but it's just an old memory now. You guys are all assuming everyone's a sentimental old fool and they'll be ecstatic when you come knocking at their door. That's not always the case.

I took up this hobby to find coins and relics for myself and not as a free jewelry recovery service for people who are dumb enough to lose a 10k ring in the first place...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am perplexed that doing the right thing has become so distasteful to so many. Having character is viewed as a weakness.

The right thing isn't always the correct thing to do. Tell me how I'm going to feel if I return this 10k ring and the guy says "thanks", rolls his eyes in amusement and then slams the door in my face? I'm going to feel like a fool who just gave $200 to a complete stranger who's laughing all the way to the nearest pawn shop.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that just because someone lost something that they are foolish or irresponsible and don't deserve to get whatever they lost back.

Yes, you are foolish and irresponsible if you let a gold ring slip through your fingers. You are not entitled to get it back because it obviously meant less to you than it means to me to find it.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My girlfriend has lost both her high school and college rings over the years...who [is] dumb enough to lose a 10k ring in the first place...

Jeeze, I hope you didn't share your opinion of those that have been in the unfortunate situation of losing a class ring with her :dontknow: :evil6:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe Any woman that lost jewelry wouldn't want it back. Men on the other hand maybe not. Unless she was a graduate of The University of the Internet

OP
OP
Y

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones telling me to return it I expect you track down the owners of anything and everything you find you return to the owners marked or not if not you are just being Hippocrates. Return everything you find or you have no business telling me what to do with the items I find. Thanks for those who support. The haters will hate.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The right thing isn't always the correct thing to do. Tell me how I'm going to feel if I return this 10k ring and the guy says "thanks", rolls his eyes in amusement and then slams the door in my face? I'm going to feel like a fool who just gave $200 to a complete stranger who's laughing all the way to the nearest pawn shop.

I have a letter sitting in front of me from a gentleman whose class ring I recently returned.

"I wanted to thank you for all the effort you put into returning my ring to me. It is truly a great story to find my ring after 41 years lost at the farmhouse. I have told the story to many people and after a reaction of amazement, they then all commented on what great character, honesty, and virtue you must possess to go through the trouble to return this to me."

Those words right there mean as much or more to me than any find I've ever made, especially someone else's class ring, or 200 dollars in melt value. Again, that's just me...

Granted I have not had the opportunity to return many rings, or get doors slammed in my face. I guess some people care and some don't. Either way if I find a ring with some personal connection to it, and I don't go through some effort to return it to them, I would feel pretty bad about myself.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones telling me to return it I expect you track down the owners of anything and everything you find you return to the owners marked or not if not you are just being Hippocrates. Return everything you find or you have no business telling me what to do with the items I find. Thanks for those who support. The haters will hate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one "told you" to return it. A bunch of people clearly feel that these sort of things should be returned to the original owner if possible, and gave you information on how to do so if you please. Finding a personal item that is traceable is different than finding some random coin and trying to track down the person whose pocket it fell out of.

Obviously it's yours now, so do whatever you want with it! It's a fantastic find, congratulations again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you and I never said anything about coins. I expect the person finding lost personal stuff like ring to return them to the original owners traceable or if they can track the person at all. Anything as rings would be personal so why wouldn't they fight tooth and nail to find the owner since it's the right thing to do in their eyes. If youthank you should return one then do the right thing and return them all and no reneging. If you think you should return one then you need to return them all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one "told you" to return it. A bunch of people clearly feel that these sort of things should be returned to the original owner if possible, and gave you information on how to do so if you please. Finding a personal item that is traceable is different than finding some random coin and trying to track down the person whose pocket it fell out of.

Obviously it's yours now, so do whatever you want with it!

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
So, if you are on a beach a find a ring and a women comes up and says oh thank you I just lost that you give it back. But, if you are detecting on a piece of old Iand and find an old ring you don't look for former property owners and return it.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I am a solution. You find the owner of the Rolex and exchange the watch for the insurance $.

OP
OP
Y

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the person asked me for my help sure I would help them find the lost item. I'm not this terrible person looking to screw people over but I'm in this for personal gain and to live. I guess when you are doing it to live and returning everything you find then you will die hungry trying to return everything. Like I said those saying they would return it then every single ring you have found you should be returning if you are trying to talk about doing the right thing or not then if you aren't returning all rings lost marked or not then you are being a hypocrite.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant post something on here anymore without getting the third degree and being belittled and shamed by people...I think a lot of people are jealous...this is getting real old.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Yellowbelly...thanks for sharing and a big congrats.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
My 2 lesbian neighbors bought me a Rolex watch for my birthday!

I think they mis-understood me!.

When asked "what I wanted for my birthday?", I told them "I wanna watch". :dontknow:

The Rolex was nice all the same! :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions