Rolex!!!!

Yellowbelly

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never re post things but when I found the Rolex two years ago I wasn't part of this group so I figured I would share with you all. Some of you may have seen it on other groups but I guess most haven't. When I first started detecting that's all I could think a bunch of Rolex, Diamond rings, and Spanish ship wreck treasure ending up in the scoop then I woke up to reality but still one Rolex is better than none. Had an offer for $2,800 on it. I kindly declined and still it's sits in the saftey deposit box at the bank. I even did the water test on the face and the water should bead off the face. Thanks for looking and happy hunting all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 20

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it would be a hollow find, until I knew it was free and clear. Most things we find there is no such problem. With this though, the owner should be easy to find. Treasure is fun to find but returning treasure to it's rightful owner is the best. I also understand there is a group that subscribes to finders keepers. Everyone has to live in their own skin.

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One would think there is a way to contact Rolex and simply ask if the watch has been reported lost or stolen, if not, then you're good to go. If it has been, then you've got a decision to make.

I don't think Rolex will provide this info to the public-- but I've never asked. Owning a Rolex that you're afraid to bring to an RSC for fear of confiscation wouldn't be a situation I'd want. I guess the finder could present it to RSC for servicing: if he gets it back, it's his (after paying the bill), if they confiscate it, the original owner gets it. That seems fair to me, but prepare for a hefty servicing bill.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Sounds found to me. If you can afford a Rolex than you can afford to have it insured. Sure the person has already been paid out. When you find silver or gold coins on abandoned land do you go to the tax office and find the name of the last owner and give them back?

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will remember that when you drop your wallet full of cash with your ID. Finders keepers.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And yes, it is the same thing.

No, it's not remotely the same thing. A coin found on “abandoned” land is not specifically identifiable to a single person. A serialized piece of property is. If a class ring with a school name and owners name engraved in it was found on “abandoned” land, there is a moral (and depending on the state, legal) obligation to find the owner. Yes, there are many people and detectorists who don't feel the same as I do and who don't have the conscience to want to return found items, but I'm not one of them.

And as for your argument that the owner was probably wealthy enough to have insurance and has already been paid out, well wealth is a relative concept. As I said in my previous post, what if that watch has sentimental value that far exceeds the monetary value of an insurance payout?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will remember that when you drop your wallet full of cash with your ID. Finders keepers.

I never carry my money in the wallet, still out 7 wallets that were lost, not one was ever returned. Of the dozen or so that
I have recovered not one ever contained money.

I really feel for the OP as once again somebody posts up a find that has some value to it, and all they get is folks throwing their moral values into their face. Really what does this all got to do with just accepting the posted find for what it is and just congratulate the person in their recovery. If they did or didn't return the item it's nobody's
business the way I see it. Let them do what ever they want to do, step down or step up and just say nice find and leave it at that. I learnt long ago not to worry about where another man sleeps.

BTW OP Congrats on getting a real one, a rare find.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
If I am dumb enough to drop my wallet and not realize it, you are welcome to it mikeraydj. Everything has a sentimental value that we dig up to someone if you look for them. A coin on a piece of property is the same. It just a has a different value attached to it. Forget it, I am clearly wasting my time.

People on these pages pick and choose all the time I am already deeper into this post then a person should get.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really feel for the OP as once again somebody posts up a find that has some value to it, and all they get is folks throwing their moral values into their face. Really what does this all got to do with just accepting the posted find for what it is and just congratulate the person in their recovery. If they did or didn't return the item it's nobody's
business the way I see it.

Yup, lots of holier than thou posters here. I found an amazing 10k gold class ring yesterday, but I'm probably not going to post it here, since I'm keeping it. No way am I handing over $215.00 worth of scrap gold to anyone who's foolish enough to lose something that valuable in the first place.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a class ring with a school name and owners name engraved in it was found on “abandoned” land, there is a moral (and depending on the state, legal) obligation to find the owner.

A moral person would tell the finder to keep it, since the detectorist put in the time, effort and money to locate the object they foolishly lost in the first place.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the very reason I quit posting here, holier than thou people. Also others that thought they were "experts" but didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

And sjvalleyhunter, do you think the morals of the owner of the sentimental watch is going to return the ins money when he gets his watch returned? Oh, ins company, here's your money back, a metal detectorist found my watch and returned it to me. Yea, right!

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the very reason I quit posting here, holier than thou people. Also others that thought they were "experts" but didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

And sjvalleyhunter, do you think the morals of the owner of the sentimental watch is going to return the ins money when he gets his watch returned? Oh, ins company, here's your money back, a metal detectorist found my watch and returned it to me. Yea, right!

One can just as well assume that the owner would give the ins. money plus a substantial finder's fee to the detectorist who found and returned the watch. I'm perplexed as to why you would assume the worst.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am perplexed that doing the right thing has become so distasteful to so many. Having character is viewed as a weakness.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the reasons I keep posting on TN is to see the responses of the members.
The responses go from "A" to "Z" ; especially, in found items; from thinking only of returning the item (WWJD) to never giving it a thought ('finders keepers').
There is no need to jump on another member who has a viewpoint 180 degrees from your own. There is no need to attempt to prove that you are right and he/she is wrong.
Just saying..........
Don......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tread carefully, insults or attacks on members are not allowed...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One can see the points of both sides in these thread debates on weather somebody should or should not return an item they've found. The second issue is weather if they will be rewarded in some form, and if the person was compensated for the loss, weather they'll be honest with the insurance company there after. It comes right down to what we all believe is true and what isn't, and stomping on the OP thread isn't the place to express one's beliefs. To assume that everybody does the right or wrong thing only makes an ass out you and me in the thinking process.

It would get pretty boring pretty quick if the only thing that was ever posted up was surface clad because everything else could be interpreted as having a historical significance, or it should be returned to the family the item was lost from. It's no wonder why many forums are suffering because of the constant barrage of crap that's thrown into the face of the OP as the general assumption is to share a find, gain knowledge, and get a pat on the back for digging something up that somebody else likes regardless of what that item is.
Ok it's time to climb down and go on with life.:)

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellobelly, congrats to you on a wonderful find!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, lots of holier than thou posters here. I found an amazing 10k gold class ring yesterday, but I'm probably not going to post it here, since I'm keeping it. No way am I handing over $215.00 worth of scrap gold to anyone who's foolish enough to lose something that valuable in the first place.

I have often said that returning things to people that lost them in the first place, would be like giving heroin to junkies, it just perpetuates the problem. I have not seen anyone on TNet come right out and say it.

Way to go FBT. I like the way you think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread