OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it does not matter when the coconuts come to the island (or where they come from). They in NO WAY support either the existence of a flood tunnel/s (never been found even though everyone has looked) or treasure being buried on Oak Island. NOTHING offered by the Lagina brothers has in anyway supported treasure being buried on Oak Island below about 10ft (The sisters/descendants 'unproven' story). As said earlier all the Lagina brothers have shown (or anyone else for that matter) is that humans have been visiting Oak Island for a few hundred years at least.

It has also in my view been established that the cavities/caves in that have been discovered under 170ft are natural and full of sea water that flows in at a fast rate that must have them connected to the ocean. It is not feasible that a single flood tunnel that was meant to connect to Smiths Cove that has been dug up by everyone still exists to the area and therefore cannot explain the constant flow of water (thus why draining any of these holes is not possible).

The earlier treasure seekers that believed they had dug through to main made tunnels/cavity had obviously dug into one of these chambers (as also shown by Dan mistaken belief that 10X was man made).

The successful dye tests
To test their theory, members of the Oak Island Treasure Company decided to pour colored dye into the Money Pit. The crew reasoned that by tracing the path of the pigment, they could determine the locations of the various flood channels and ultimately obstruct them once and for all. When the team set their plan into motion, they were astonished to find the dye streaming out from the shoreline at distant points around the island's perimeter. Perhaps most astonishing was that the coloring did not appear in Smith Bay where structures thought to be flood tunnels were located in 1862 (Harris, 1967).
https://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/ show that these cavities are all connected to multiple natural sources that open to the ocean at multiple points (none of those being Smiths cove).

The Lagina brothers have PROVEN that it is not possible to dig down to the caves without being flooded with water. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE that some one in the past dug 170+ foot without hitting water if the drilled into one of the connected caves.

The BEST point of season 5 is that the pattern drilling of the whole money pit area will once and for all PROVE that there is no vast underground treasure hoard located here. It cannot fail if there is a massive treasure stash they will find it and they will see gold start flowing out of there drill holes and over there sifting device.....

This season will put a Full Stop to the story that treasure STILL EXISTS in the money pit.

It will not answer the question as to whether there was ever any treasure there... That legend will survive.....

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Has anyone tried to dig up coconut fibers anywhere else in that bay? Or anywhere else on that island? Or anywhere else on any nearby islands?

I've said here in the past that excavating a sizable portion of that beach would take an investment insignificant in comparison to what's already been spent on fruitless boreholes. Seriously, a thousand bucks worth of labor on machinery already owned or being rented would, over the course of an afternoon, give us a very good idea of just how much fiber is there and what parts of the beach that it's on. That alone would go some way towards explaining what has been found so far. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that anyone has bothered with this. I'm curious about why they haven't. We can probably both agree that this is an important matter, and one of interest to investors.

Or has someone already done this, and simply not bothered to discuss it? And if this is the case, why did they not want to discuss what they found, or didn't find?
Suggest looking up Robert Dunfields work on the island.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Or a matt of old coconut fibers (if that is what they were) floated around and ended up on Oak Island.

In 1990 a shipping container of 60,000 Nike sneakers fell off a ship in a storm. Nike sneakers washed up from Alaska to Oregon to Hawaii. Does not mean the Chinese sneaker makers visited the whole Pacific Rim. Or the ship they were on, even.

https://prezi.com/jihkuqddvwzf/ocean-currents-nike-shoes/

Floated from where? Coconuts did not exist in the Atlantic Basin before 1500 and as for them floating from the Indian Ocean, where they did exist, that has been disproved. In this discussion, I'm not saying how I think they got there, but, that the fact they are there is an honest mystery. Also, it doesn't matter how much material is there very little or tons, still the same mystery.
And, I also agree with the poster who wrote that coconut fibre does not show there was ever a treasure buried on Oak Island.
And to Dave, I'm sure nobody put centuries old, rotten coconut fibres in their onboard luggage.

Cheers, Loki

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in this week's preview, the archeologist is making decisions for the team to stop or continue drilling operations. ????? It's not like he can declare the bedrock to be a cultural heritage site and bring in a team of college summer interns to go down to 170 feet and delicately excavate the money pit with brushes. Very confusing since if the Laginas weren't funding the drilling operation, nothing would be happening anyway.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Suggest looking up Robert Dunfields work on the island.

He's the gentleman that strip mined half the island and debunked the flood tunnel idea, right? I like his style.

Floated from where? Coconuts did not exist in the Atlantic Basin before 1500 and as for them floating from the Indian Ocean, where they did exist, that has been disproved.

So they must have been brought there by Europeans before the 15th century? I suspect that there are other possibilities than just that.

In this discussion, I'm not saying how I think they got there...

But you did. You stated that the existence of coconut fibers proved that Europeans were responsible, and that it had to have happened prior to the 15th century.

...but, that the fact they are there is an honest mystery.

I'm in agreement.

Also, it doesn't matter how much material is there very little or tons, still the same mystery.

Now here, I disagree. Knowing exactly how much (and exactly where it's located) may give us valuable context, which in turn can allow us to make guesses that are slightly less speculative.

And, I also agree with the poster who wrote that coconut fibre does not show there was ever a treasure buried on Oak Island.

Of course it doesn't. Without context, all it proves is that someone found coconut fibers on Oak Island. Maybe. (We have to take them at their word here.)

And to Dave, I'm sure nobody put centuries old, rotten coconut fibres in their onboard luggage.

And there are plenty of quite reasonable, intelligent, and educated folks that are quite sure that Europeans weren't ferrying coconut fibers from the Middle East to Canada in 1400. But they could have, just as people could have taken them there in their checked luggage. I don't personally think that either of these ideas are correct, but there they are.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So they must have been brought there by Europeans before the 15th century? I suspect that there are other possibilities than just that.

But you did. You stated that the existence of coconut fibers proved that Europeans were responsible, and that it had to have happened prior to the 15th century.

In my opinion it does. Although I shouldn't say Europeans, I should have written "somebody from the Mediterranean area". And the reason I believe this, is because that would have been the only source within reason during that time period. Again, nobody would carry centuries old rotten coconut fibre across an ocean.
Probably not enough proof to convict a murderer, but for a civil case?
Cheers, Loki

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally....intelligent discussions about the presence of coconut fibers on oak island vs. discussions involving the treasure hoax.

I find the coconut fiber topic interesting. I believe they had a logical purpose as possibly a filter of some sort in the brine operation that was ran on the island. Perhaps in the 14th-17th centuries, coconut fibers were commonly used for many things due to their robust structure and longevity.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was actually quite interesting until the drill blew.. Explains the water surging up earlier. A lot of pressure being pumped down those pipes..

It gets me that they hit a cavity and straight away "It must be the spiral stair case...." Not one person said "Hey maybe it another natural cavity..." like all the others have been ... I know which is the most likely...

After that they just put in fill... It is good they have done a good job with the visitor centre... It is an amazing story.. I know I would visit if I was in the vicinity....

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets me that they hit a cavity and straight away "It must be the spiral stair case...." Not one person said "Hey maybe it another natural cavity..." like all the others have been ... I know which is the most likely...

After that they just put in fill... It is good they have done a good job with the visitor centre... It is an amazing story.. I know I would visit if I was in the vicinity....

Yes, until they have a spiral signature from other drill locations, it's not a spiral staircase.

I took a tour of the island in about 1995 or so. They took us out in an old yellow school bus and there was talk of a "Super dig" back then. They had a display of some items in a glass case and it's great to see that they're continuing with the new visitor's center.

I bought a souvenir 'treasure map' and still have it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a souvenir 'treasure map' and still have it.

You could get into Episode #1 of Season 6 if you take it to Skip & Marty.

Narrator: "A treasure map? Found on Oak Island years ago?"

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the eldest Restall daughter revealed that Rickie was the one who found the "1704" stone, was I the only one thinking that the 8-year old kid (at the time) wrote / etched the number into the rock to show that he was helping with the search process as well? For instance, I could totally see an 8-year old version of myself doing something similar if my 3 older brothers kept me out of the loop when exploring their own ventures. The older Rickie didn't even bother to chime in about his discovery when it was mentioned.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only that, but he really hated to tell the guys that wasn’t his cap gun, so he went along with the producers. I saw that coming way off..

Throbhammmer

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could get into Episode #1 of Season 6 if you take it to Skip & Marty.

Narrator: "A treasure map? Found on Oak Island years ago?"

Been lurking around since season 3, had to log back to laugh my ass off over this one. Kudos bro!

Also, they brought in the state geologist to slow down the boys from finally solving the mystery, if no treasure, no show, no money, no visitors. The government can't have people not going to Nova Scotia looking for treasure that doesn't exist.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only that, but he really hated to tell the guys that wasn’t his cap gun, so he went along with the producers. I saw that coming way off..
It also shows how they patch together the editing. The archeologist was not with them when they found the old toy so it must of been found before they received that letter telling them they must have an archeologist when metal detecting. They must have found a whole rubbish heap of old junk when metal detecting the island.

At least they didn't try to claim the 'gun' suggested Billy the Kid had hidden his loot on Oak Island...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions