OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I sure seem to be racking up the 40% halves pretty good this year. I think Im up to just over 77 ozs of silver this year now. Yeah I've had some lucky solid roll scores in the past. I've found a total of 5 solid rolls - 4 of them all Walkers and Bens and the last one was all '68D halves. I remember coming close one other time in late 2011 when I found a cwr with 19 x 40%ers. Good luck to us both the rest of the month.

H$H!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Avago said, it must be mind-blowing to find a solid roll of silver. The closest I've ever come was a CWR of dimes with 22 Mercuries. But what I'm learning about this hobby is that if you just keep on truckin' consistently with lots of volume, the megafinds are not only possible, but inevitable. It's all about the law of averages.
Looks like you're off to a great start for the last quarter of the year with that box of 13 40%ers. Good luck with the 100 ozT goal.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box SF. Because of the holiday my orders didn't arrive. I'm rooting for a silvery fall. Keep on rolling!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I finished the week with a couple of more good boxes and my first ever foreign silver find - a '64 Canadian half. :)

9/4:
$2 loose halves: clad
$290 loose mwr halves: skunk (clad '09S)
$500 half box #135: '64 Canadian, '64D Kennedy, 5 x 40% ('67, '68D, 3 x '69D), '73S
$500 half box #136: 2 x 40% ('67, '68D)

9/5:
.50 loose half: clad

It was a pretty good week for me overall. I only searched 4 boxes and found a total of 23 silver keepers - 1 x 90%, 1 x 80% and 21 x 40% for the week. And I've now found a total of 79.1556 ozs of silver so far in 2014.

H$H!

Attachments

• 9 silver keepers from boxes 135 and 136.jpg
    9 silver keepers from boxes 135 and 136.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
80 oz is so close! Congrats on a great start to the month!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great week. 27 silvers in a week is excellent numbers. I'm just hoping not to get skunked for the week.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Silver. I have yet to find foreign silver in CRH or metal detecting.

Keep up the solid run and hope you hit a dream box to top it off.

Steven

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, my boxes sure seemed to have dried up lately. Last week was a complete skunk but it was nice to at least find a little silver at one of my p/u banks yesterday. I should have 3 or 4 more boxes to p/u in the next couple of days so hopefully I can put an end to my skunk streak before the end of the week.

9/9:
$500 half box #137: skunk
$500 half box #138: skunk ('65 quarter (close but not silver) in one roll so I was .25 short for the box)

9/11:
$7.50 loose halves: skunk
$10 cwr halves: skunk
$500 half box #139: skunk (one roll was a coin short so I was .50 short for the box)
$500 half box #140: skunk
$500 half box #141: skunk

9/16:
$2 loose halves: '67
$500 half box #142: skunked again

9/17:
$1 loose halves: clad

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough week, Silverface. I'm watching closely to see if you reach your 100 oz. goal. I've been very fortunate so far in avoiding skunk streaks, but they are inevitable. Does it seem like there are lots of other CRHers in your area stealing your silver?

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough week, Silverface. I'm watching closely to see if you reach your 100 oz. goal. I've been very fortunate so far in avoiding skunk streaks, but they are inevitable. Does it seem like there are lots of other CRHers in your area stealing your silver?

Yeah I know there's other CRHers around, but Im not sure how many. And Im sure Im getting some of their dumped coins in my boxes. And at two of my p/u banks there's at least one other person ordering boxes regularly too. But Im not sure just how much competition there is in my area. Hopefully low silver prices will keep the competition from getting to be too much for a while longer at least. I should have 2 or 3 more boxes to p/u tomorrow and another box on Friday. Hopefully one or more of those boxes will put and end to my current skunk streak.

H$H!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunk city, man. Isn't it crazy that you can sometimes find more silver in $2 loose than in $3000 in boxes? This hobby... Well you've still got plenty of time to hit your goal. Good luck!!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunk city, man. Isn't it crazy that you can sometimes find more silver in $2 loose than in $3000 in boxes? This hobby... Well you've still got plenty of time to hit your goal. Good luck!!

Yeah you're right, its sure unpredictable the way the silver shows up with this hobby. I got 3 more boxes today that are still unopened in my car and found another '67 in $30 in cwrs. I also got some bad news today about my dump banks. My 2 main dump banks are having their coin counters removed at the end of this month. I've been using two other banks lately to dump rolled haves on occasion so as of next months those two banks will be my main dump banks. Until I can figure out a better dump system Im probably going to decrease my boxes from 5-6 a week to just 2-3 a week. I already told one of my p/u banks today to cancel my usual 2 box a week order next week.

Im sure going to miss those nice coin counters I've been using the past few years. I know I'll never find free coin counters as nice as those again. I dumped $1420 in halves in less than 5 minutes as usual today. They're quick, easy to use and accurate. Sure seems nothing good ever lasts forever. But I'll just consider myself fortunate to have been able to use them for as long as I have. Now its just time to make some adjustments to my method of operation.

H$H!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that stinks about the coin counters being removed. Were they the nice conveyor belt ones? Those are my favorite. One bank around me has about 6 or 7 branches, all with coin machines. I've probably got access to at least 10 total. Some are the conveyor belt ones and some are the spinning ones. I'm very lucky to have them because I can spread my dumps really thin and not really inconvenience any one branch too much. I also like the ones that have a big bin underneath instead of bags.

You also re-roll sometimes though, don't you? It seems like such a hassle when there are coin machines to be utilized. Hey, maybe you can buy one of their coin counters on the cheap cheap since they're getting rid of 'em! Haha, now THAT would be convenience.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin counters at my dump banks use the bins that hold several thousand dollars and don't require bags. Im sure gonna miss em but I know change is the name of the game lol. Yeah I've been re-rolling some lately which is what Im gonna have to get used to doing all the time now until I can figure something else out. At least halves are the easiest coins to re-roll. But even finding enough supply of half dollar wrappers to re-roll the halves may start to become a problem. Well, just time to adjust and make some changes.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer about the machines and having to cancel a couple of orders.

As far as rerolling, you might consider using the machine wrappers if you can't find a steady supply of cwr wrappers. When I was rerolling last year, I was constantly running short on wrappers until I just started reusing the machine wrappers. I know that some CRHers despise rewrapped machine rolls, but do what you gotta do. I despise skunky boxes, but I keep on ordering.

Good luck getting your new system in place.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin counters at my dump banks use the bins that hold several thousand dollars and don't require bags. Im sure gonna miss em but I know change is the name of the game lol. Yeah I've been re-rolling some lately which is what Im gonna have to get used to doing all the time now until I can figure something else out. At least halves are the easiest coins to re-roll. But even finding enough supply of half dollar wrappers to re-roll the halves may start to become a problem. Well, just time to adjust and make some changes.
I sure hate to see your volume go down. I'm pulling for you to reach 100 oz. for the year. Like zero says, you could just re-roll using the machine rolls, which is what I do. Even though I'm in a larger city, there are few banks with free coin counters, and none that count halves. Do you have Bank of America in your area? Here at B of A I can put my coins in a bag and drop them off. Only problem is that they take the coins to a remote location to run them through their machines and it doesn't credit to your account for several days. I dump all my non-halves and my loose halves at B of A. I refuse to hand-roll anything but halves. The boxes of halves are so easy to re-roll, that I just re-roll them in the machine wrappers as I search them. It takes me about an hour to search and re-roll a box of halves this way. All the banks in my area, except B of A, will accept my hand re-rolled halves. I search $2,000 in halves each week using this method.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I finished last week and my 7 box skunk streak with a couple of very good boxes. I got 23 keepers from two boxes at one p/u bank on Thurs. It figures that's the bank I decided to stop ordering boxes from for a while because of the change in my dump situation. But I can resume my weekly 2 box order from that bank anytime I want which Im sure I'll be doing soon.

9/17:
$1 loose halves: clad

9/18:
$20 cwr halves: skunk ('87D)
$30 cwr halves: '67
$500 half box #143: skunk (clad '02S)
$500 half box #144: 2 x 90% ('58D, '64), 4 x 40% (2 x '67, 2 x '68D (one rev ender))
$500 half box #145: 3 x 90% ('54, 2 x '64), 14 x 40% ('65, 2 x '66, 6 x 67 (one rev ender), 5 x '68D (one rev ender))

9/19:
$500 half box #146: skunk

Box 145 was one of my 10 best boxes ever. And I now have found over 400 x 40% silver halves so far this year and a total of 471 silver halves for the year. And my total silver for the year is just under 84 ozs now.

Btw, I have been using the mwr wrappers to re-roll my halves lately and I was kinda a little surprised (or maybe I had just forgotten) how well that works so that's gonna be my method of dumping from now on at least for a while.

H$H!

Attachments

• 6 keepers box 144.jpg
    6 keepers box 144.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 17 keepers box 145.jpg
    17 keepers box 145.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big week! Nine oz. gets that goal a whole lot closer. A couple of real nice Franklins. Keep us up to date on how you adjust to your new circumstances now that you've lost your coin counter. A few more boxes like #144 and #145 and you'll be there. Any idea why your bank decided to get rid of their coin counter?

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! Seems like the August blues are over. I'm glad the MWR wrappers are working for you. I got pretty good at unrolling one end with a screw driver, slipping them out, edge checking, and slipping it right back in. I even rolled the end back fairly tight so that it wasn't obvious at a glance that they weren't just unsearched MWR's.

Keep on rolling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread