✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 509
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 804
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 394

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photo, tamrock,

The blond in the raccoon coat sitting next to (Harry Cohn?) is Betty Grable.

I see James Stewart, Pat O'Brien, John Payne, Jackie Cooper. Perhaps Dorothy Lamour, Dorothy Dandridge, and I'm sitting here talking to myself on some of the others…

PS: That's Edward Arnold, behind Pat O'Brien's left shoulder:

PPS: I'm 80%-isn that's Rita Hayworth in the mink, to the right of the gentleman in the spats, and opposite Betty Grable…

Thank you! I do enjoy looking at the old photos found in antique stores

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hey tamrock,

After several more looks, I am now thinking that's Hedy Lamarr in the turban to the left of the desk. She would have had good reason to be there, due to her wartime work on her Frequency-hopping spread-spectrum invention.

hedy_lamarr-999px.png 1010351793af9a2ce8.jpg 1e4163371ea3ebf90b03bb1a220a1f38.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I thought was Rosemary Clooney might actually be Martha Raye.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The puppet might actually be Charlie McCarthy and Edgar Bergen might be in the picture also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
tamrock i think your photo, is a photo of a photo, i used a image program, faststone maxveiw and a click
capture of the img properties tag, that the img program read, who ever did it did a good job, maybe they
were sending a copy or trying to preserve the original
and they used this camera..... K171172 KODAK EASYSHARE Z650 USED Z 650
K171172 Kodak EasyShare Z650 Used Z 650 0041771553340 | eBay

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's downright impressive cw O' niner niner....I did use the Kodak Z650 to photo this snapshot so I could post to this forum. You will find other pictures I posted to this site have been taken with the very same beat to hell old camera. I've had this camera a long time and it keeps on clicken.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paul Winchell? If so, it would explain the dummy in the corner.

Neat photo :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up early here this morn, cause my wifes new 1yr old pup has to growl at every little noise now. I came across this actress Jeanne Crain. I'm giving the young women to the left standing in front of J. Stewart in the front row with the fur coat as a good possibility. Jeanne Crain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... She would have been new to the movie biz in 1943. On another thought I'm looking at the fellow to the far left in the button up blazer and believe I'm seeing similarities to a young Lloyd Bridges. Any thoughts on that one? ?? Bridges did enlist in the Coast Gaurd at this time and the buttons, just not exactly, do in a way line up with this jacket photo I attached that is said to be a coast gaurd jacket. Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• uniform coast gaurd.png
    uniform coast gaurd.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy with half his face showing, just above Pat O'Obrien's right shoulder, kind of resembles Danny Thomas

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
June of '43? Hmmm... Maybe it was a fashion thing for the rich but all the women are wearing furs... in June in DC? I don't think so...

Possibly members of the "Hollywood Victory Caravan" which was in DC in the spring of '42.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an excerpt from Bob Hope's book: "A life in Comedy". April 29, 1942:

DCMatt

Attachments

• hollywood1942.jpg
    hollywood1942.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look at the Victory Caravan info , and one of the Stars sure looks like the gal next to Betty Grable, another Betty, Betty Hutton.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread