Spanish Silver, Seated Dime, Silver Button, Hexagonal Pistol Barrel

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off id like to say that this hunt is dedicated to IP and AQUA! :-)
I've been working like crazy lately in preparation for my cruise to Mexico and Honduras next week. Showed up at a job this morning and it was a huge mess with electrical issues and several other things. My boss showed up and took one look and said "Let's go to breakfast and go metal detecting." I said perfect and off we went. We decided to take his boat to a location that I've been researching and I knew there was a house there in the 1660s. The only problem is that it's 60 acres and not at all easy to get to. I looked at a topo map and had a good idea where I wanted to start. We managed to get there safely and I immediately marched up to the high spot. Turned on my machine and about 8 minutes later got an 88 on my T2. Bang! Spanish silver! 1782 Carolus iii 2 reale. You guys have no idea what a weight came off my shoulders with this coin....well a couple of you do :-) I started detecting in September and set some goals for my first year. Today I achieved some big ones. A couple of lifetime goals actually. I've been finding old coppers basically every trip out but just could not pull a silver to save my life. A little while later I noticed a bunch of stacked stones next to the water and knew it was a ferry landing or shipping dock. Found a few buttons and bang, another high 80s signal...1877 seated dime. On my goals list. I also pulled an 1821 LC. Perhaps the most interesting find of the day was my last one which is a hexagonal pistol barrel. Looks to be brass and any help with cleaning would be great. Any help with i.d. Would be even better.
Perhaps the best part of today is that I never located the 1660s home site and I know there's even older stuff out there somewhere. This place is amazing with no modern trash and I saw ZERO people in 4 hours. Thanks for looking guys. All the best, Abe
Oh yah I was pretty surprised to find that one of my buttons was silver
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 20
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An amazing day friend!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt Abe!! I knew it was just a matter of time before your research would land you on some early silver. Love that huge 2 reale, and its exactly the same date as one I dug a couple of months ago. Based on the age of that site I wouldn't be surprised to see some even older coins show up. A hammered would be awesome. Good luck bud!!
Thanks buddy I'm sure once I find that 1660s home site some very cool old stuff should come out of the ground. It's certainly all about the research and a bit of common sense

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha yeah why don't you guys start teasing me about no gold coins or tree coins :-) I'm excited about this place man. It's beautiful and old with no trash. I need to spend an entire weekend out there after my vaca

I could do you a favor ...I,ll come down and camp out on that site while your on vacation so no one will hunt it while your gone !!

I only offer cause I,m such a nice guy !!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Your boss sees it's a bad day at work takes you to breakfast and then DETECTING!!!!
THEN YOU find 2 silver coins a seated and Spanish on your bucket list AND a silver button, PLUS you are going to Mexico & Hounders next week! C-H-A-R-M-E-D!!! Your life's charmed! Play the lottery, wish for the things you want most!!!
Congrats! Your good luck streak is incredible, awesome!

Tell me where I can get a boss like that!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could do you a favor ...I,ll come down and camp out on that site while your on vacation so no one will hunt it while your gone !!

I only offer cause I,m such a nice guy !!!
AQUA you're the best bud a guy could ever have. It's called Fantasy Island and it's on UREFFINCRAZY River :-) I'll send directions to your cardboard box

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Your boss sees it's a bad day at work takes you to breakfast and then DETECTING!!!!
THEN YOU find 2 silver coins a seated and Spanish on your bucket list AND a silver button, PLUS you are going to Mexico & Hounders next week! C-H-A-R-M-E-D!!! Your life's charmed! Play the lottery, wish for the things you want most!!!
Congrats! Your good luck streak is incredible, awesome!

Tell me where I can get a boss like that!
Ms Beep we'd love to have you come join the team :-) He's actually more a friend than a boss and he basically just leaves me the hell alone and let's me and my crew do our thing. I can't complain at all. And he's got a big boat that takes me to some secret spots most can't get to. Except that damned AQUA he's got a couple boats. Gonna have to watch out for that guy. :-)

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Can't wait to see what else you get there! :)

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an awesome day of detecting and finding a couple of bucket list items. You must have a great boss to for him to blow off work and take you detecting. I'm my own boss and for some reason it never feels okay when I sneak away during the work week for a hunt. But when your boss takes you then its all good. Can't wait to see what else you find at this sight. I'm sure there's much more out there. I love early sites with no modern trash - nothing better than that!

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job! Great research! Keep searching the area. In those times they buried their wealth. Banner vote from me.

First off id like to say that this hunt is dedicated to IP and AQUA! :-)
I've been working like crazy lately in preparation for my cruise to Mexico and Honduras next week. Showed up at a job this morning and it was a huge mess with electrical issues and several other things. My boss showed up and took one look and said "Let's go to breakfast and go metal detecting." I said perfect and off we went. We decided to take his boat to a location that I've been researching and I knew there was a house there in the 1660s. The only problem is that it's 60 acres and not at all easy to get to. I looked at a topo map and had a good idea where I wanted to start. We managed to get there safely and I immediately marched up to the high spot. Turned on my machine and about 8 minutes later got an 88 on my T2. Bang! Spanish silver! 1782 Carolus iii 2 reale. You guys have no idea what a weight came off my shoulders with this coin....well a couple of you do :-) I started detecting in September and set some goals for my first year. Today I achieved some big ones. A couple of lifetime goals actually. I've been finding old coppers basically every trip out but just could not pull a silver to save my life. A little while later I noticed a bunch of stacked stones next to the water and knew it was a ferry landing or shipping dock. Found a few buttons and bang, another high 80s signal...1877 seated dime. On my goals list. I also pulled an 1821 LC. Perhaps the most interesting find of the day was my last one which is a hexagonal pistol barrel. Looks to be brass and any help with cleaning would be great. Any help with i.d. Would be even better.
Perhaps the best part of today is that I never located the 1660s home site and I know there's even older stuff out there somewhere. This place is amazing with no modern trash and I saw ZERO people in 4 hours. Thanks for looking guys. All the best, Abe
Oh yah I was pretty surprised to find that one of my buttons was silver
View attachment 995610
View attachment 995613
View attachment 995614
View attachment 995615
View attachment 995616
View attachment 995617
View attachment 995618
View attachment 995615
View attachment 995620
View attachment 995621
View attachment 995622
View attachment 995623
View attachment 995624

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet coins! You absolutely nailed it! Congrats

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!!

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's something to get excited about! Sounds like you've one heck of a location on your hands. Congrats!!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds man! Congrats!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AQUA you're the best bud a guy could ever have. It's called Fantasy Island and it's on UREFFINCRAZY River :-) I'll send directions to your cardboard box

I,ve heard tell of that island..... I,m just trying to picture a little short guy called TATTOO running around with a detector !!!!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome finds Ahab! That 2 is a tremendous find, great job. Enjoy the vacation and get back there ASAP and hit it hard!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Ahab! That 2 is a tremendous find, great job. Enjoy the vacation and get back there ASAP and hit it hard!
Thanks buddy. I'm sure it'll cross my mind a few times as I'm kicking back in the sun:-)

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey my fellow Maineiac ! :occasion14: A huge congradulations on getting that Spanish Monkey off your back :icon_thumleft: You skiped the half and the one reale and went right to a biggin ! And it did not take you a decade like IP projected . I like the barrel No markings on IT ??? Now you have to go back out and find something that will put you on the top scroll ! Again congrads ! I know the feeling ! MaineRelic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread