Spanish Silver, Seated Dime, Silver Button, Hexagonal Pistol Barrel

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off id like to say that this hunt is dedicated to IP and AQUA! :-)
I've been working like crazy lately in preparation for my cruise to Mexico and Honduras next week. Showed up at a job this morning and it was a huge mess with electrical issues and several other things. My boss showed up and took one look and said "Let's go to breakfast and go metal detecting." I said perfect and off we went. We decided to take his boat to a location that I've been researching and I knew there was a house there in the 1660s. The only problem is that it's 60 acres and not at all easy to get to. I looked at a topo map and had a good idea where I wanted to start. We managed to get there safely and I immediately marched up to the high spot. Turned on my machine and about 8 minutes later got an 88 on my T2. Bang! Spanish silver! 1782 Carolus iii 2 reale. You guys have no idea what a weight came off my shoulders with this coin....well a couple of you do :-) I started detecting in September and set some goals for my first year. Today I achieved some big ones. A couple of lifetime goals actually. I've been finding old coppers basically every trip out but just could not pull a silver to save my life. A little while later I noticed a bunch of stacked stones next to the water and knew it was a ferry landing or shipping dock. Found a few buttons and bang, another high 80s signal...1877 seated dime. On my goals list. I also pulled an 1821 LC. Perhaps the most interesting find of the day was my last one which is a hexagonal pistol barrel. Looks to be brass and any help with cleaning would be great. Any help with i.d. Would be even better.
Perhaps the best part of today is that I never located the 1660s home site and I know there's even older stuff out there somewhere. This place is amazing with no modern trash and I saw ZERO people in 4 hours. Thanks for looking guys. All the best, Abe
Oh yah I was pretty surprised to find that one of my buttons was silver
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 20
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey my fellow Maineiac ! :occasion14: A huge congradulations on getting that Spanish Monkey off your back :icon_thumleft: You skiped the half and the one reale and went right to a biggin ! And it did not take you a decade like IP projected . I like the barrel No markings on IT ??? Now you have to go back out and find something that will put you on the top scroll ! Again congrads ! I know the feeling ! MaineRelic
Thank you my Maine brother! I appreciate the kind words and am pretty happy that I found a big boy in nice condition. I'm not sure about a mark on the barrel as I'm not sure if or how I should clean it. I'm thinking about taking it to a gun shop today to see if the have any ideas. Good luck out there buddy

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Ahab you have been on Fire since the last time we met. keep up the good work, at this rate you will have a Banner find in no time. the way your luck is going bring your Detector on your Vacation you might find El dorado.

have a Great time in Mexico & Honduras (OH please bring back some warm weather with you) Please!! Banner vote here...

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Ahab, I love those big 2 Rs and that gun barrel is off the charts. I would expect it to be made from bronze so it should clean up easily.
This island of yours sounds like it may be a reale awesome place to hunt. I do think you sould concentrate on the area you found those goodies in first befor you tackle the rest of the 60 acres.
Then when you are done with that spot just start looking for the iron patchs, you can move fairly fast when you are doing that. when you hit the iron patch slow way down and don't try to just cherry pick it. Dig all iffy targets. Your pine tree is waiting for you buddy.
Good luck and have a great vacation. I may be done with all my work around the house by then. Oh yea, could you please post a pic of that barrel when you have it cleaned up?
ZDD

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Ahab you have been on Fire since the last time we met. keep up the good work, at this rate you will have a Banner find in no time. the way your luck is going bring your Detector on your Vacation you might find El dorado. have a Great time in Mexico & Honduras (OH please bring back some warm weather with you) Please!! Banner vote here...
Thank you buddy I appreciate the nice words. Work has been crazy but the rare hunts I've had have been good ones. This site is just a whole different kind of great. I will bring back lots of sun and warm weather. We need it man

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Ahab, I love those big 2 Rs and that gun barrel is off the charts. I would expect it to be made from bronze so it should clean up easily. This island of yours sounds like it may be a reale awesome place to hunt. I do think you sould concentrate on the area you found those goodies in first befor you tackle the rest of the 60 acres. Then when you are done with that spot just start looking for the iron patchs, you can move fairly fast when you are doing that. when you hit the iron patch slow way down and don't try to just cherry pick it. Dig all iffy targets. Your pine tree is waiting for you buddy. Good luck and have a great vacation. I may be done with all my work around the house by then. Oh yea, could you please post a pic of that barrel when you have it cleaned up? ZDD
Ha ha Dave I see what ya did there bud :-) I feel your pain with the house stuff as I had to put a new roof on my house last year (plywood and extended overhangs as well as shingles)
Then I put hickory hardwood and new trim in. Just about kills you but it feels great when you're done.
I will be concentrating all my efforts on the area that I was in at this site. I did not scratch the surface yesterday and I know that 1660s site is waiting. This place is so easy to hunt. A real pleasure compared to what I'm used to. I will definitely post the barrel when I get it cleaned up. Good luck out there my friend

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great day out and the new site, good luck on the return hunt(s).

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Awesome boss!!! We should all be so lucky. Good luck finding the 1600s site. -Tin Foil

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, your gun is way cooler then mine, congratulations on all those great finds. I'm very happy for you and also very jealous. Haaaaaa

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, your gun is way cooler then mine, congratulations on all those great finds. I'm very happy for you and also very jealous. Haaaaaa
Get your a** up here bud! Now if you find Spanish silver I will be ok with it :-)
But I have the bigger gun now(or barrel anyway)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the second will come a little quicker :laughing7: Great find, might I suggest a light lemon juice bath, that take care of the little bit of crud remaining.:thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the second will come a little quicker :laughing7: Great find, might I suggest a light lemon juice bath, that take care of the little bit of crud remaining.:thumbsup: SS
I will do that SS. Thanks for the advice. Pretty psyched at the condition of that reale. Your new coin on the other hand is downright incredible

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds!!
I,m Glad to see your off to such a GREAT Start After our Long Harsh Winter.

Wish I knew a fellow local RH with a boat. That would open up some great Areas around here.
Davers

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just left my boys coin shop and he let me use his microscope to take some pics. Coolest thing ever for pics. He also gives me hundreds of dollars of high quality coin holders which is awesome

image-2982330454.jpg

image-1725747677.jpg

image-1405453362.jpg

image-1334017986.jpg

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thank you my Maine brother! I appreciate the kind words and am pretty happy that I found a big boy in nice condition. I'm not sure about a mark on the barrel as I'm not sure if or how I should clean it. I'm thinking about taking it to a gun shop today to see if the have any ideas. Good luck out there buddy

Your barrel is very similar, if it isn't, a boot pistol from Liege , Belgium about the 1830s or so, I believe that they had mostly a percussion cap firing mechanism, and were very unreliable and aiming was bad so you had to be close to hit anything,,,, let us know what the gunsmith had to say though

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha yeah why don't you guys start teasing me about no gold coins or tree coins :-) I'm excited about this place man. It's beautiful and old with no trash. I need to spend an entire weekend out there after my vaca

The world is your oys.... Lobster!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from my gun guy and his opinion is that the barrel is French and from the latter part of the 18th century. He believes likely French and American War related. 32 cal. What I thought was a sight is actually an attachment point for a wooden stock and would have had a pin through it. He had a pretty similar piece at his shop. I trust this guy and believe him to be very knowledgeable but welcome other opinions. No makers mark
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could do you a favor ...I,ll come down and camp out on that site while your on vacation so no one will hunt it while your gone !!

I only offer cause I,m such a nice guy !!!
Lmao @ this! You're such a pal, Aqua:laughing7:

Congrats Abe. I know you've been dreaming of this hunt. Hope you have one that makes you forget this one ( for only a short while, cause I know you want to always remind IP of this one! ).:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao @ this! You're such a pal, Aqua:laughing7: Congrats Abe. I know you've been dreaming of this hunt. Hope you have one that makes you forget this one ( for only a short while, cause I know you want to always remind IP of this one! ).:thumbsup:
Thanks OD. Yes with friends like AQUA....well you know the rest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread