Started with a Bucket Lister & Ended with a Morgan Dollar

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Despite the bad weather here I decided to head up to my 1886 permission today to see if it was detectable. The good news is, a lot of it isnā€™t covered in too much snow.

Hereā€™s a look:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549512905.453579.jpg

Some areas were covered in 4 inches, others completely bare.

I started off finding some wheats and tax tokens which is always a good way to get rolling. Then, about halfway through the hunt I got a whispery signal down deep. I popped the plug and had to keep going. I stuck the shovel down again and saw a dark disc pop up to the top of the hole.

I immediately recognized that it was too big to be a quarter and was hoping I might have a cool token. Then I looked closely and saw that itā€™s an old Canadian Large Cent. Too cool! Iā€™ve always wanted to find one. In fact, itā€™s on my list of 30 things this year Iā€™m looking for so Iā€™ve now found 2 of the 30 (aiming for 9).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513175.406618.jpg

Then I got to a place of the yard where there just werenā€™t many signals and those that were there were mostly trash. After 4 hours total of hunting I couldnā€™t feel my toes or fingers and the sun was setting so I figured it was time to head home.

I was detecting back to the car (always do this!) and got a 12-42 at 4 inches in the area of the yard where I found the wheats and tax tokens earlier. It sounded like a coin and I was just hoping I might get a silver dime. Iā€™d been thinking in my head that this would be my first trip to that permission without a silver coin.

I dig down to 4 inches. Nothing. Remove one more inch of dirt and BAM! Thereā€™s a big, silver, reeded edge sticking straight up out of the hole. I was praying that it wouldnā€™t be one of those stupid General Mills Olympics tokens from the 90s (already got fooled by one of those in this yard) and was so pumped to see an Eagle when I pulled it out.

My brain temporarily broke when I saw the reverse and I thought ā€œoh sick, a peace dollarā€. Then I flipped it over and realized it was an 1883 Morgan! I started praying it would be CC and flipped it over to find an S. Still, no disappointment here. Itā€™s now my oldest silver (still looking for that elusive Seated) and definitely the best looking of my 3 Morgans

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513556.084384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513572.183173.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513581.083506.jpg

Here are some photos of some of my better finds from the outing!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513607.367689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513621.200538.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513633.318077.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep after it folks. You never know when youā€™re gonna find the next big one!
-W

Upvote 76

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man congrats on the BIG silver! Every once in a while I'll get a half or a quarter. You're pulling silver dollars! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the large silver! :occasion14:

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Oh man congrats on the BIG silver! Every once in a while I'll get a half or a quarter. You're pulling silver dollars! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Whyme! I could barely get my coil over a silver quarter a couple years ago, much less a half or dollar. You just never know how the tides will turn!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/2017-annual-finds/564813-2017-record-breaking-year.html

Keep researching, trying new places, getting permissions and digging. It'll all come together!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling of digging a morgan. I wish I could relive it! Congrats so awesome to find one of those!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I found six seated coins but no Morgenā€™s, maybe one these day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread