Startling unemployment comparisons

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever anyone says "Oh, the Great Depression was much worse" because there was 25% unemployment, hit 'em with this not-so-fun fact:

In 1933, when unemployment hit that 25% mark, the US population was roughly 125 million, so 25% was 31.3 million people.

In 2009, US population is roughly 305 million. The current 8.1% unemployment rate means 24.7 million people are out of work. If we reach 10.3%, we'll pass Great Depression numbers.

So much for that good mood of yours huh? :icon_sunny:

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
It's still relative . If 5 people in your state die it's small . If 5 people on your block die it's big . The percentage tells the story .

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I still don't know what to believe. Yesterday I read in the local newspaper that the national unemployment rate was 8.5%. I had heard earlier on the news that it was 12.5%. I has also heard that certain people, like those who are self-employed, cannot file for unemployment no matter what. Personnaly, I think the situation is much worse than anyone is admitting.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Cloudy and raining here today, but tomorrow, it'll be colder and windier. But spring is fast approaching, followed by long lazy summer days.

Sounds like too many want to follow the notion that the clouds are forever. Look what comes after.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
It is not as bad as the rest of the country here in West Florida but it is still bad. There was a new Koles (sp?) build in Fort Walton Beach and about 3500 people applied for something like 500 jobs. I have one sone working for a sanation outfit and another working at Lowes. There job seems to be solid right now but who knows what the future holds. I hope things start to turn around for the better.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I am a self-employed Drywall contractor. Been one for 20 years. My business is down 70% from last year. This area used to be a boom town! Now, new houses that were built last year are sitting empty. No one hardly even looks at them with the intentions of buying.

At least I'm not a real estate agent.

Nope. No unemployment or bailouts for me! (I am self employed you know) However, I have always been an entrepeneur (spelling?) so, now when I am not doing drywall, I pick up peoples dog poop! :dog:

Ya gotta do what cha gotta do.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Their unemployment numbers only tell how many are on unemployment benefits....that does not count those that do not qualify for benefits to begin with or those that have already run out of benefits. It would be interesting to know the actual number of people that are unemployed for a better comparison. :-\

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
I feel for all you self employed. I was there for twelve years. Now I work for a large employer, but we have cut more than 25% of our jobs. At least I still have health insurance and a some-what steady pay check. I pray for all the unemployed. Many people laugh at them, but it is a real crisis. If not for unemployment, there would be no safety net. I do not believe in a 'welfare queen'. No one can live on unemployment, or even what wal-mart, pays. You try raising a family on $15,000 a year....

Good luck, and God bless you.

Dr. Ace

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
When I was younger I was a long haul truck driver . One day my boss sold the company so I went to get unemployment until something came along . While in the office I was advised that there were several classes at the Comm. Coll. that one could go to and still collect . These were for needed jobs in the US . Well as luck would have it I not only passed the test for the Machinist Training Program but the GI Bill would pay me as well . This is a big plus since I had enough money coming in so I could concentrate on my studies . This was evident by the fact that I graduated first in my class . This didn't mean I was the smartest , just that I had more time to study . I considered a couple of my classmates more qualified than myself but work kept them from doing better .
So now there I was with 2 trades which I alternated between for many years . I always had a job in one field or the other . Flash to the future . I had a guy in my complex in CA that got a job after the Watts riots for one of the big Aerospace firms . After 12 years he was also laid off and his wife got laid off also at her work . No savings . Both had worked for companies that paid most or all tuition and books for anyone wishing to better themselves . Neither had taken part in their companies programs . Most people could live on a bit less and go to school to better themselves . Imagine being an RN now . There are many jobs around not to mention travel opportunities to temp assignmants that pay super . Most people end up in a place that they have sent themselves to . I don't to seem cold but prevention is easier than cure .
I know there are those that are a bit older and think that school is not the answer . I was told by a girl that if she went back to school it would be 6 years before she got her degree and she would be 48 years old . I asked her "How old will you be in 6 years if you DON"T go to school . She is now an RN as well as her daughter . Both pulling down major bucks . Everyone is capable of being more than they are .

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That's really inspirational, Paratrooper.
I like positive anecdotes.
Your conclusion is spot on!

It's been a number of years since I possessed an attitude that might allow me the fortitude to jump out of a perfectly good airplane into hostile territory with every intention of prevailing upon my adversaries.

Good for you! :thumbsup:
rmptr

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
That's really inspirational, Paratrooper.
I like positive anecdotes.
Your conclusion is spot on!

It's been a number of years since I possessed an attitude that might allow me the fortitude to jump out of a perfectly good airplane into hostile territory with every intention of prevailing upon my adversaries.

Good for you! :thumbsup:
rmptr

I have to agree as well!

As stated below all my posts "It's never too late to become what you might have been!"

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
As a slight addition in light of that reply . As we reflect on our lives it is not so much the frustration of the things that we did but the disappointment in those things that we DIDN'T do .

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paratrooper said:
When I was younger I was a long haul truck driver . One day my boss sold the company so I went to get unemployment until something came along . While in the office I was advised that there were several classes at the Comm. Coll. that one could go to and still collect . These were for needed jobs in the US . Well as luck would have it I not only passed the test for the Machinist Training Program but the GI Bill would pay me as well . This is a big plus since I had enough money coming in so I could concentrate on my studies . This was evident by the fact that I graduated first in my class . This didn't mean I was the smartest , just that I had more time to study . I considered a couple of my classmates more qualified than myself but work kept them from doing better .
So now there I was with 2 trades which I alternated between for many years . I always had a job in one field or the other . Flash to the future . I had a guy in my complex in CA that got a job after the Watts riots for one of the big Aerospace firms . After 12 years he was also laid off and his wife got laid off also at her work . No savings . Both had worked for companies that paid most or all tuition and books for anyone wishing to better themselves . Neither had taken part in their companies programs . Most people could live on a bit less and go to school to better themselves . Imagine being an RN now . There are many jobs around not to mention travel opportunities to temp assignmants that pay super . Most people end up in a place that they have sent themselves to . I don't to seem cold but prevention is easier than cure .
I know there are those that are a bit older and think that school is not the answer . I was told by a girl that if she went back to school it would be 6 years before she got her degree and she would be 48 years old . I asked her "How old will you be in 6 years if you DON"T go to school . She is now an RN as well as her daughter . Both pulling down major bucks . Everyone is capable of being more than they are .

Are you being condescending?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Ernest...the more I learn about you the more questions I have! :thumbsup: I pray you do not have to close your store but if you do I know this....you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. We will think of something if it comes to that. It is in His hands.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ernest T Bass said:
If I close my store, does anyone have any Ideas what a fifty year old immigrant messianic Jew who is confined to a wheelchair can get trained to do ? ???

I know one fellow who ran a model train shop. A few years back.
His business did not fare so well.

He gave up the overhead cost of the storefront, kept his inventory between a Ford E-250 van and a small storage locker. He maintained a regular spot at a local swap meet and also did internet and train show marketing.

Good luck
rmptr

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do know is this. Going to college is not necessarily a panacea for ones financial difficulties, neither is it a guarantee for financial success. If more people in this country would get up off their lazy a$$ instead of waiting for a hand out the whole country would be better off.

America was made great by the entrepreneurial spirit of many.

Who knows, maybe there is big bucks to be made in picking up dog poop!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This mornings paper said it was 5.5% here. Average is 3.5%, so we aren't doing so bad, but it is slowly climbing. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread