Startling unemployment comparisons

thrillathahunt said:
paratrooper said:
When I was younger I was a long haul truck driver . One day my boss sold the company so I went to get unemployment until something came along . While in the office I was advised that there were several classes at the Comm. Coll. that one could go to and still collect . These were for needed jobs in the US . Well as luck would have it I not only passed the test for the Machinist Training Program but the GI Bill would pay me as well . This is a big plus since I had enough money coming in so I could concentrate on my studies . This was evident by the fact that I graduated first in my class . This didn't mean I was the smartest , just that I had more time to study . I considered a couple of my classmates more qualified than myself but work kept them from doing better .
So now there I was with 2 trades which I alternated between for many years . I always had a job in one field or the other . Flash to the future . I had a guy in my complex in CA that got a job after the Watts riots for one of the big Aerospace firms . After 12 years he was also laid off and his wife got laid off also at her work . No savings . Both had worked for companies that paid most or all tuition and books for anyone wishing to better themselves . Neither had taken part in their companies programs . Most people could live on a bit less and go to school to better themselves . Imagine being an RN now . There are many jobs around not to mention travel opportunities to temp assignmants that pay super . Most people end up in a place that they have sent themselves to . I don't to seem cold but prevention is easier than cure .
I know there are those that are a bit older and think that school is not the answer . I was told by a girl that if she went back to school it would be 6 years before she got her degree and she would be 48 years old . I asked her "How old will you be in 6 years if you DON"T go to school . She is now an RN as well as her daughter . Both pulling down major bucks . Everyone is capable of being more than they are .

Are you being condescending?

If you think I am or if you think that I am not , you are right .

Ernest T Bass said:
If I close my store, does anyone have any Ideas what a fifty year old immigrant messianic Jew who is confined to a wheelchair can get trained to do ? ???

Years ago when my great-uncle was General Manager of the Bulova plant in Queens New York the company had a deal . If you were confined to a wheel chair and could display a decent amount of manual dexterity you could attend the Bulova watch making school for free . You don't need to walk to fix a watch . So to expand on that logic perhaps you could find something intricate to do at a bench . I'm not sure of your market area but if you look around you might find something . Computer repair springs to mind but if course I don't know what you do now . I hope you don't have to change but I wish you the power to .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back