Stephen King

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
stephen king is a really great writer. a lot of folks dont know that he also wrote the shawshank redemption which in my opinion is one of the best movies ever. he is scary talented!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
hollowpointred said:
stephen king is a really great writer. a lot of folks dont know that he also wrote the shawshank redemption which in my opinion is one of the best movies ever. he is scary talented!
When I tell folks he wrote Shawshank, The Body (Stand by Me) and The Green Mile, they're just blown away! Most people think he does horror and nothing else.

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't watched The Mist yet. It's been my favorite story for at least 15 years so I was disappointed when I could not get a sitter lined up. Can't take a 4 and 7 year old to it. ;)
I'm all over that DVD when it comes out tho!
I have most of his movies on VHS, I like to buy the old ones at yardsales because the picture on the front is usually a little different than the new ones.

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got Blaze and Duma Key is on the way. I need to sit down for a few minutes on the couch instead of in front of the computer.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sara77 said:
I just got Blaze and Duma Key is on the way. I need to sit down for a few minutes on the couch instead of in front of the computer.
Duma Key comes once I finish Blaze. I couldn't handle having two unread SK books in the house at once. ;D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
57sauce said:
Read Blaze, wasn't my fave. If someone wants It they can have it for a trade of another book.
Really? I'm about half way through, and I'm enjoying it so far. Does the ending not work?

57sauce

Dec 3, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm not saying it was bad by any means. I felt it wasn't his best. To me it wasn't "a Stephen King book". It was a very good book it felt like it was written by someone else, like Koontz. Its a slippery slope for an author. On one hand you have a fan base that loves you for one thing, if you do something differant they will turn on you. I think of what people said about Bob Dylan when he plugged in his guitar for the first time. It was a good read, just not what I thought I was going to get.

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:D That's probably why I haven't started reading it yet! I'm itching to read Duma Key so I think I will be done with it by midweek. I tend to avoid all housework and phonecalls when it's a good King book. Can't avoid the kiddies or the job tho. I used to open one of his big books and read nonstop till I finished. AAhhhh, those were the days. ;)

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sara77 said:
:D That's probably why I haven't started reading it yet! I'm itching to read Duma Key so I think I will be done with it by midweek. I tend to avoid all housework and phonecalls when it's a good King book. Can't avoid the kiddies or the job tho. I used to open one of his big books and read nonstop till I finished. AAhhhh, those were the days. ;)
LOL! I know what you mean. :D

SKIDMLD

Jan 10, 2006
East Tennessee
I don't remember the authors, but I highly recommend Emergence, and Alas Babalon. I have been looking for something to read and will try Swans Song, Boys Life and Wolf and Iron.

Oklahunter

Jan 29, 2008
Choctaw, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Bullseye II
I read Blaze a couple of weeks ago and finished Duma Key last night. Duma was a great read even before it got creepy, then SK really poured it on and finished it right. Go get it!

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started Duma Key yesterday and I just read the funniest line I've ever seen. P185 "get me a towel rita, I think that last fart had a lump in it."
My son kept asking me what I was laughing about, too bad 5 year olds can't get that one!

angelus

Greenie
Feb 8, 2008
Peaks Island, Maine
Detector(s) used
mine
I'm new to the site. Hello everyone. Couldn't help but comment on King. I grew up where The Mist takes place. He used to go to this little market in Bridgeton every morning to get his coffee and read the paper. He ended up having the story take place at the market. My friend's father was the butcher there. He made him the character of Ollie.

Jan 5, 2008
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505
unfortunately i read a novel every 2 to 3 days......which is really quite expensive. (im too shy to go to the library)
since i read so much, i dont even look at the authors anymore because they cant keep up with me. i end up picking up some pretty cheesey ones. but my rule is...once i start one i have to finish it, no matter how boring it is.
anyway, i would like to make a suggestion. i reread this series allllllll the time, if i cant find one at the store that catches my eye. they are written by anne rice, and they are NOT the vampire books. ive never read those. these are her witch series. The Witching Hour, Lasher and Taltos. the first one starts out kinda slow....but not for long. i wish she would have written more. let me know what you think!
i love stephen king also, i think the stand was my favorite....

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Jeff try used bookstores, yardsales and fleamarkets. I can get 5-6 good reads for what one new paperback costs;-)

-K

seekdestry

Greenie
Feb 25, 2008
I really got hooked on the Dark Tower series... And IT was really good... ::) I also liked The Stand... Cell... My favorite authors include Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, J.K. Rowling, Bentley Little... :D Nothing quite getting lost in a good book! ;D

Raven

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread