Super Nice Indian Head

scrapmagnet

Sep 18, 2023
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
This 1865 Indian head is the oldest coin that I have found on this permission. There is still 130 years of earlier occupation. After cherry picking for a while, I had decided to start cleaning out an iron field near a barn. Hex nuts, a spill of about 20 nails, a horse shoe, countless pieces of unidentifiable iron and finally, this. 3 hours and I only covered an area of about 6x20 feet. I can't go more than a foot before getting a tone. Thankfully, it is not a fine lawn and the property owner is fine with me digging like a Bassett Hound. They actually have one and she loves to try and get into my holes and help.

Attachments

• 1865-indian-head.jpg
    1865-indian-head.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 1865-indian-head-back.jpg
    1865-indian-head-back.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 30

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
This 1865 Indian head is the oldest coin that I have found on this permission. There is still 130 years of earlier occupation. After cherry picking for a while, I had decided to start cleaning out an iron field near a barn. Hex nuts, a spill of about 20 nails, a horse shoe, countless pieces of unidentifiable iron and finally, this. 3 hours and I only covered an area of about 6x20 feet. I can't go more than a foot before getting a tone. Thankfully, it is not a fine lawn and the property owner is fine with me digging like a Bassett Hound. They actually have one and she loves to try and get into my holes and help.
It sure is in good condition and a good year if I remember right 1864 was the first year for the IHP.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought it was 1859?
The Indian Head cent, also known as an Indian Head penny, was a one-cent coin ($0.01) produced by the United States Bureau of the Mint from 1859 to 1909. It was designed by James Barton Longacre, the Chief Engraver at the Philadelphia Mint. S. Located below the wreath on the reverse.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I need a digger. 😂

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions