Super-thick 1994-D cent with deep rims

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened a few cent rolls last night, and found a 1994-D that looked uncirculated. I usually set those aside at least for a while, and either keep them or toss them back. But something was different about this one. The rim was deep and pronounced around both the front and the back. I stacked it next to a 2013 cent, and it looks to be almost 50% thicker. I thought maybe it was a proof of some sort, but proofs are all S mint.

Is this just an anomaly within the range of normal? Or was the thickness specification different then, and this is just a truly uncirculated coin that hasn't seen any rim wear? I just didn't know what to make of it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started trying to take a pic last night, but my daughter busted me for using her nice camera. And I can't find my own crappy one, so it might have to wait. WIll post a picture when I can.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
PMD, someone used a very fine plasma cutter to melt one of the cents onto the other one. in other words, this person knew what he was doing.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run into this before. Could it be a dryer coin?

A type of PMD where the rim is pushed into the coin, and it has to go up. The rim becomes less wide in diameter and instead becomes thicker.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PMD, someone used a very fine plasma cutter to melt one of the cents onto the other one. in other words, this person knew what he was doing.

There you go, making false statements under the ruse of trying to sound funny. If you don't have anything productive to say, well, you know.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
There you go, making false statements under the ruse of trying to sound funny. If you don't have anything productive to say, well, you know.

Like most of your posts, it seems like every other one of your posts is either directed at me, eminem or joe777cool. Instead of telling other members how to post, why don't you focus on making your posts more productive as well.

George Baldwin

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah Woah Woah, things just took a bad turn here. Can't we all just get along!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My posts are productive. People ask questions and I give accurate answers. That's what they come here for, not bad jokes or misinformation. There is a forum on here for jokes, try posting there.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, here we go. Had to use my Macbook camera, but hopefully the pics aren't too bad.

cent3.jpg
cent2.jpg
This one looks like it is bulging on the front but that's just a light effect. You can see how deep and pronounced the rim is on the back edge.
cent4.jpg
This last one is side-by-side with an uncirculated 2013 I've had stashed away.
cent1.jpg

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just a hair less thick than a quarter. The official specs are 1.55mm for a cent and 1.75mm for a quarter. I'd say this cent is around 1.7mm thick, give or take a few dozen micrometers.

Is there a good way to accurately measure the thickness of a coin?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just a hair less thick than a quarter. The official specs are 1.55mm for a cent and 1.75mm for a quarter. I'd say this cent is around 1.7mm thick, give or take a few dozen micrometers.

Is there a good way to accurately measure the thickness of a coin?

A micrometer or calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Measure the diameter against another high grade 1994-D . If it is smaller, i would agree that the rim was somehow rolled. From your pics though, the rim looks sharp. I think that the deep strike raised the material up around the rim because it had nowhere to go. The dies would contain the metal IMO.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe your coin is from a mint set and has a nice full struck rim?

That's what I was thinking, I guess. I don't know much about mint sets though. But this had to have come from somewhere other than general circulation. It looks like the Platonic ideal of a zinc cent.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From the shine in the first picture it may be a proof, can you shot one of the coin face? LP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread