Super-thick 1994-D cent with deep rims

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened a few cent rolls last night, and found a 1994-D that looked uncirculated. I usually set those aside at least for a while, and either keep them or toss them back. But something was different about this one. The rim was deep and pronounced around both the front and the back. I stacked it next to a 2013 cent, and it looks to be almost 50% thicker. I thought maybe it was a proof of some sort, but proofs are all S mint.

Is this just an anomaly within the range of normal? Or was the thickness specification different then, and this is just a truly uncirculated coin that hasn't seen any rim wear? I just didn't know what to make of it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow yours looks great. I would have to say my raised-edge Franklin is a fake, but it almost fits in a quarter roll.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 74

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some clad dimes like that I got in the reject tray while doing a dump. I wasn't sure what they were so I hung on to them. I'll try to post apic later tonight.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gratz you now have your oily dirty fingerprints all over it =P

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow yours looks great. I would have to say my raised-edge Franklin is a fake, but it almost fits in a quarter roll.

I'm sure you know what happended here FFD, but just in case... Someone began to make a ring out of that coin, and for whatever reason, stopped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread