Sweet Massachusetts Celt!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out detecting with some fellow Tnet-ers this weekend at the Field of Dreams here in Western Massachusetts. Had some fantastic detecting finds but one of my favorites is this sweet little celt I found in a potato field...

Anyone have an idea of the age? 6.JPG 7.JPG 6a.JPG 6b.JPG 6c.JPG

Check out the full post in the Today's Finds section to see the other goodies :)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-hammered-too-great-weekend-field-dreams.html

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Celt.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland period.
Nice find.
Let's see it cleaned up.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Excellent find Oxbow! One point for consideration, I think you may have actually found more of a gouge or Adze than a celt. Often, when the bit edge is curved, as in your example, the tool was likely used for hollowing or removing wooden material rather than the chopping of a celt. Once the tool is cleaned check and see if the use wear is uniform on both sides of the bit edges or if it's far more prominent on the convex face. Either way it's a great find, congrats.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a gouge, but it does look like an adze configuration in the bottom 2 photos. Stellar find!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find Oxbow! One point for consideration, I think you may have actually found more of a gouge or Adze than a celt. Often, when the bit edge is curved, as in your example, the tool was likely used for hollowing or removing wooden material rather than the chopping of a celt. Once the tool is cleaned check and see if the use wear is uniform on both sides of the bit edges or if it's far more prominent on the convex face. Either way it's a great find, congrats.

You are absolutely correct. The wear pattern showed it was used for hollowing out wood rather than chopping. Unfortunately, I brought it in to work to show some of my students. All I can say is that there was an incident involving gravity and a concrete floor, and well, lets just say its a good thing I plan on keeping this piece for my personal collection and never selling it :BangHead:. I'll post pics once I put Humpty-dumpty back together again :dontknow:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
29k.gif pics don't do it justice - I was hunting with him when he found it and held it - its awesome

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.Im with charl on this i dont believe its a gouge.The channel is not deep enough.Dont most celts bits usually run straight across.This has more of the smiley face bit.You wont be finding that terminology just anywhere.Its all mine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread