Teaching New Machine Leads To Bucket List Find!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bit of a back story…

I got my mother (pushing70) back into detecting a couple of of years ago. She started with a second hand Ace 250 purchased from another family member and recently I got her a Teknetics EuroTek Pro. She has a GREAT time detecting and has done pretty decent.

Yesterday, she procured permission to hunt a piece a property close by her house that we have been eyeballing for years. Well this morning she calls me up and invites me to come hunt with her.

I packed up my CZ-3d, the T2se and my AT Pro and head out. When I get there, I slather on the Deep Woods Off , opt for the CZ and get started.

Right away I'm hitting Wheats and older copper memorials. A short time in, I score a pretty nice 1904 IH and a few more Wheats, clad and several relic items (nothing worth mentioning). No silver and the bug are out in FULL force!

I'm starting to get a bit perturbed with the insects and watching my mother detect! There is NO nice way to say it…She detects ugly! She (still) has a hard time pinpointing and her plugs usually look pretty bad. Ever see a close up of the moon….same thing!
I won't be MD'ing much in the next few months so I offer to "teach" her how to use the AT Pro so she can use it while I'm on hiatus. Plus...it would be better if I dig the plugs on this new site.

After packing my stuff back up, I bring out the AT Pro and set it to Standard Coins mode and disc out EVERYTHING that isn't a coin. I have to make it as simple as possible because new things confuse her quite easily. I show her how to turn it off/on and how to make the disc adjustments. No I didn't (and won't) show her GBing!

Once she starts swinging she starts finding stuff right away (Im digging all of em) . Memorials, Wheats, Nickels then she gets a signal and she says "I think it's a dime". "Maybe it's silver!" Well I pop the plug and out rolls a Merc dime!

A 1916D Merc Dime!

We both about shi…messed ourselves!

In its condition, I have no doubt it's a $2000 coin. She plans (at my insistence) on having it graded!

W/O further ado…
1916d04.JPG 1916d02.JPG 1916d03.JPG 1916d AT Pro.JPG 1916d01.JPG

Upvote 43

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats to you & your mom! :occasion16: :wav::occasion16: Good thing she brought you along to see the show, ha-ha. :tongue3:

I'm older than your mom, so please assure her she'll enjoy years of detecting in her 70's also! :notworthy: Ole ladies rule! :notworthy: Andi

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice one there!! Congrats to her on digging that one up.

I would vote banner for it, but since its your Mothers find, I am not sure it would make it up there, but either way its a fantastic find for sure!!!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic find!!! BANNER for sure!!!

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy moly I looked up the numismatic value of that coin: even in poor shape it's worth nearly 1G. And your coin is not in poor condition. Perfect condition, 1916D's run as high as 28G, and your's looks to be in fine if not very fine. Find of a lifetime, my friends!

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to mom on an awesome finds. Wow!

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to the both of you! I think it's incredible that you spend time with your mom and have patience with her. You have been rewarded in kind. Well done! I vote banner too.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha now that is awesome. Good ole moms must've done something right in her life to deserve that. Thanks for sharing an awesome story with us. That thing is beautiful

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
That is a great find, and it looks like it came out of the ground without scratches. Too many people ruin their dug silver coins by wiping the dirt off with their thumb to read the date, leaving a whole bunch of hairline scratches. You must have been very careful in the recovery. As for value, it is more like in the $3,500 to $4,250 range (auction price or retail). A dealer would probably pay less for it, of course. It should definitely be sent to PCGS or NGC for grading and authentication, especially if you decide to sell it at some point. Congrats!

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my vote congrats

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find, I wouldn't get it graded tho, because it will most likely get labeled as environmental damages, they count microscopic scratches even, still a great find but would hate having it labeled that way, think it would lower the value considerably for a sale. I would sell it to a private collector most likely, its good money for the bank !

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!
I did not expect a 1916 D Merc, & the condition Is Great ,IMO

I'm glad you were doing the digging , it would have been a shame if it got a BIG shovel scratch .

I def, envy & Congratulate you.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, I wouldn't get it graded tho, because it will most likely get labeled as environmental damages, they count microscopic scratches even, still a great find but would hate having it labeled that way, think it would lower the value considerably for a sale. I would sell it to a private collector most likely, its good money for the bank !

IMO The best thing getting it graded would be to Authenticate it.

I would likely not have it graded , my OCD would drive me crazy thinking it would get lost or damaged in the mailing process .

I also would sell it to a private Collector ( if you were to sell it ) someone who can examine a coin in person and Grade it using their Skill ,Opinion & Experience.

I would not want a Details Label To take away Something from the Coin , Witch it does IMO.

Awesome Find
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread