Teaching New Machine Leads To Bucket List Find!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bit of a back story…

I got my mother (pushing70) back into detecting a couple of of years ago. She started with a second hand Ace 250 purchased from another family member and recently I got her a Teknetics EuroTek Pro. She has a GREAT time detecting and has done pretty decent.

Yesterday, she procured permission to hunt a piece a property close by her house that we have been eyeballing for years. Well this morning she calls me up and invites me to come hunt with her.

I packed up my CZ-3d, the T2se and my AT Pro and head out. When I get there, I slather on the Deep Woods Off , opt for the CZ and get started.

Right away I'm hitting Wheats and older copper memorials. A short time in, I score a pretty nice 1904 IH and a few more Wheats, clad and several relic items (nothing worth mentioning). No silver and the bug are out in FULL force!

I'm starting to get a bit perturbed with the insects and watching my mother detect! There is NO nice way to say it…She detects ugly! She (still) has a hard time pinpointing and her plugs usually look pretty bad. Ever see a close up of the moon….same thing!
I won't be MD'ing much in the next few months so I offer to "teach" her how to use the AT Pro so she can use it while I'm on hiatus. Plus...it would be better if I dig the plugs on this new site.

After packing my stuff back up, I bring out the AT Pro and set it to Standard Coins mode and disc out EVERYTHING that isn't a coin. I have to make it as simple as possible because new things confuse her quite easily. I show her how to turn it off/on and how to make the disc adjustments. No I didn't (and won't) show her GBing!

Once she starts swinging she starts finding stuff right away (Im digging all of em) . Memorials, Wheats, Nickels then she gets a signal and she says "I think it's a dime". "Maybe it's silver!" Well I pop the plug and out rolls a Merc dime!

A 1916D Merc Dime!

We both about shi…messed ourselves!

In its condition, I have no doubt it's a $2000 coin. She plans (at my insistence) on having it graded!

W/O further ado…
1916d04.JPG 1916d02.JPG 1916d03.JPG 1916d AT Pro.JPG 1916d01.JPG

Upvote 43

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we should make an acception on this find. :icon_scratch: Considering it was detected by elderly family member of someone who has the strength to dig or not be able to post her own post. :dontknow: If someone's friend finds something and they post it, that makes sense to void it .??? Because both parties are capable to post. This may not be so in this case... :dontknow: Jeff I hope you reconsider and give it banner, people always dream of this find.... :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella it's just a super cool find and an awesome memory that you will have forever of you and your mom. That's better than anything that could ever roll across the top of your computer screen my friend. All the best to you both, Abe

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the fantastic find, it is also nice your mom is still here and enjoys the hobby with you....Mine is no longer here....

Sorry, but unfortunately like Jeff says it doesn't qualify for the banner.....

Ok TH, you can't give him Banner, I get it. But please just state the fact that it did get enough votes for banner if it had been With in rules. Can you give us that much , pleassssseeeee! Please, please. Just that satisfaction, please!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first this didn't bother me as wasn't really in for the banner in the first place. Until I noticed the edit a half hour AFTER the fact and in small print none the less!

Just seemed kinda odd to me.

No dude! Co-finds apparently don't count!

Banner or not, it's still a wicked cool find that I was happy to "be part of"!

That is so awesome! I ask for official count even if it doesn't count for Banner, just for the satisfaction! I KNOW it made it! It is so rare.

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something you will never forget and a team effort simply awesome.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cant reveal how many actual votes it received, but will say a lot more members said banner in thread than actually voted for banner.

Only banner votes that are "reported" count towards banner, saying banner in thread doesn't count towards banner votes.....

Only finds that are actually detected by existing TreasureNet members, not family members or friends qualify for banner...If Fella had detected it and his mother dug it it would be different.

Last edited:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need it! Would have I liked to be the one who swung the coil? Sure! I have an open offer to her on the coin should she decide to accept.

Also no worries on the Denver encroachment! :laughing7: Detecting away from home hasn't really ever panned out well for me! :icon_scratch:

Kidding about being allowed in Denver, my luck lately, I'd want to trail behind her.
I was five feet from someone that dug a 5 dollar gold coin, (it was in a coin flap from a local coin store, but was told that the type of flap hadn't been used since the 80's),
so I know you can still get a rush from what other people dig near you.
I would get it graded, what testing123 says about fakes in dead on accurate.
Got a buddy who just collects coins who got burned by a fake 16-D.
Looked real to me, only under close examination could you tell.
Carl

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cant reveal how many actual votes it received, but will say a lot more members said banner in thread than actually voted for banner.

Only banner votes that are "reported" count towards banner, saying banner in thread doesn't count towards banner votes.....

Only finds that are actually detected by existing TreasureNet members, not family members or friends qualify for banner...If Fella had detected it and his mother dug it it would be different.

Ok, thank you TH for replying, I appreciate it. GL. HH. To all!

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice for sure, I found about 7 of them, but without the D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread