Teaching New Machine Leads To Bucket List Find!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bit of a back story…

I got my mother (pushing70) back into detecting a couple of of years ago. She started with a second hand Ace 250 purchased from another family member and recently I got her a Teknetics EuroTek Pro. She has a GREAT time detecting and has done pretty decent.

Yesterday, she procured permission to hunt a piece a property close by her house that we have been eyeballing for years. Well this morning she calls me up and invites me to come hunt with her.

I packed up my CZ-3d, the T2se and my AT Pro and head out. When I get there, I slather on the Deep Woods Off , opt for the CZ and get started.

Right away I'm hitting Wheats and older copper memorials. A short time in, I score a pretty nice 1904 IH and a few more Wheats, clad and several relic items (nothing worth mentioning). No silver and the bug are out in FULL force!

I'm starting to get a bit perturbed with the insects and watching my mother detect! There is NO nice way to say it…She detects ugly! She (still) has a hard time pinpointing and her plugs usually look pretty bad. Ever see a close up of the moon….same thing!
I won't be MD'ing much in the next few months so I offer to "teach" her how to use the AT Pro so she can use it while I'm on hiatus. Plus...it would be better if I dig the plugs on this new site.

After packing my stuff back up, I bring out the AT Pro and set it to Standard Coins mode and disc out EVERYTHING that isn't a coin. I have to make it as simple as possible because new things confuse her quite easily. I show her how to turn it off/on and how to make the disc adjustments. No I didn't (and won't) show her GBing!

Once she starts swinging she starts finding stuff right away (Im digging all of em) . Memorials, Wheats, Nickels then she gets a signal and she says "I think it's a dime". "Maybe it's silver!" Well I pop the plug and out rolls a Merc dime!

A 1916D Merc Dime!

We both about shi…messed ourselves!

In its condition, I have no doubt it's a $2000 coin. She plans (at my insistence) on having it graded!

W/O further ado…
1916d04.JPG 1916d02.JPG 1916d03.JPG 1916d AT Pro.JPG 1916d01.JPG

Upvote 43

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your Mother on her (Beginners Luck :tongue3: )& first Cool Find fella !!!

& no I cannot in good conscience give you a Banner for your Mothers find,
Which I'm sure you understand.. to do so would be a disservice to all those in the past who posted their Friends & Relatives finds.
he/she who detects it gets the spoils.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Will you look at that Merc! Congrats to you both!

Technically you dug it! BANNER,

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not clean that coin a single bit. Most of the 1916D Mercury dimes are not in that good of shape. I would definitely get it graded and slabbed. My guess is that it would be VG because there are some wear marks through the bands. I will vote banner.

BTW, great story and good pictures.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing !! :headbang:

Lots of treasure hunters here dream of, and talk about finding this Merc. :icon_scratch: Its high on my list, I'm voting banner. :icon_thumleft: Just for the shear amount of people who talk about finding this.... 8-) You and ma did it, congratulations !! :occasion14:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I just love the fact that you get out tecting with your Mom. Tell her ZDD says congrats, she deserves it for raising such a great person who still gets out and spends quality time with her.
Best of luck to you both, oh yea nice coin too:thumbsup:,
ZDD

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Having fun is what it's all about. Slab it, don't slab it; either way you had fun and the story is worth more than the value of the coin.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats awesome!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two treasures in one day...quality time together with your mother and a crazy awesome coin! I'd vote banner, but it will kick my banner find off the screen! Lol just kidding! BANNER!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin made its way to couple of local coin shops today. One was kind enough to offer the generous amount of $500! Yeah Right!

The other (also a Whites dealer whom I've purchased detectors from in the past) said to have it slabbed to see what she really has. Then if she wants to sell, come see him. He was thinking, based on his experience, it should come in at EF-20. Making this a $4500+ coin! :thumbsup:

One can only hope!

Again, thanks for noms, all the likes and good remarks! :icon_thumleft:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Detecting Guideline and Rules book somewhere that says she's supposed to give it to you.
Or I'm writing one.
And not detect anywhere even remotely close to Denver, not with that kind of luck.
Killer find, the stuff that dreams are made of!
Carl

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a Detecting Guideline and Rules book somewhere that says she's supposed to give it to you.
Or I'm writing one.
And not detect anywhere even remotely close to Denver, not with that kind of luck.
Killer find, the stuff that dreams are made of!
Carl

I don't need it! Would have I liked to be the one who swung the coil? Sure! I have an open offer to her on the coin should she decide to accept.

Also no worries on the Denver encroachment! :laughing7: Detecting away from home hasn't really ever panned out well for me! :icon_scratch:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Very nice find, I wouldn't get it graded tho, because it will most likely get labeled as environmental damages, they count microscopic scratches even, still a great find but would hate having it labeled that way, think it would lower the value considerably for a sale. I would sell it to a private collector most likely, its good money for the bank !

With all the fakes out there, this is probably not a coin you want to keep raw if you sell it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your Mother on her (Beginners Luck :tongue3: )& first Cool Find fella !!!

Which I'm sure you understand.. to do so would be a disservice to all those in the past who posted their Friends & Relatives finds.
Congrats on the fantastic find, it is also nice your mom is still here and enjoys the hobby with you....Mine is no longer here....

Sorry, but unfortunately like Jeff says it doesn't qualify for the banner.....

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

At first this didn't bother me as wasn't really in for the banner in the first place. Until I noticed the edit a half hour AFTER the fact and in small print none the less!

Just seemed kinda odd to me.

Wow! Will you look at that Merc! Congrats to you both!

Technically you dug it! BANNER,
No dude! Co-finds apparently don't count!

Banner or not, it's still a wicked cool find that I was happy to "be part of"!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What counts is who detected it. This has come up many times over the years, current TN member must be the one who detects the find. ... Finds by family members, friends, hunting partners ect doesn't count unless they are members of TN before the find...

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What counts is who detected it. This has come up many times over the years, current TN member must be the one who detects the find. ... Finds by family members, friends, hunting partners ect doesn't count unless they are members of TN before the find...
No need to explain! I'm not gunna lose sleep over it!

Just thought it odd it was added as an "afterthought"!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really love the story thanks for sharing.

CONGRATS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to explain! I'm not gunna lose sleep over it!

Just thought it odd it was added as an "afterthought"!
I add comments as after thoughts alot and since I'm using smartphone sometimes it posts early before I finished...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread