Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

When Dman and I invited Tenn. Josh to hunt with us in 2009, we were 100% sure that he would share any CW sites he found with us and he would never go back on us and hunt our sites without our permission. When we began digging relics at the U.S. Infantry site recently, we naturally included him in our hunts and he was able to fill a nice 12x18 inch display box with some good relics.
I received a cell call from him on Thursday and he was all excited. He had stopped by a site on his way to work to scout an area that we all believed had relic potential. He had already dug 3 dropped Sharps Carbine bullets (he dug another while we were talking) and campfire lead but had only 30 minutes left to hunt before reporting for work. He called Dman too and invited us to hunt his new site that was apparently used by U.S. Cavalry. He recovered 12 dropped Sharps during his hunt and all were in a concentrated area. Friday was predicted to be a very volatile weather day in Tennessee so we planned to hunt this morning. We met up with Josh and began hunting at 8am. Our finds from this morning are shown in the first pic with the 12 cleaned Sharps recovered by Josh on Thursday on the bottom row.
The 2nd pic is Josh and Dman as they compare bullet diameters. Josh dug a CW period carbine bullet in the cartridge. Most of the bullets in that area are Sharps so digging a full cartridge was unusual for that area based on our experience. It may be a .50 cal. but I will need to get it back from Josh to determine what it is but the dia. is significantly smaller than the .54 cal. Sharps we dug. Just after he dug the full cartridge bullet, his next signal rang up a solid “77” on his F75. We were hunting close together and Josh yelled “Plate”. We walked over and sure enough, it was a very nice U.S. box plate with one wire hook intact and remnants of the other with a full lead back. I snapped a pic of it just after Josh flipped it over. The 4th pic is of the plate after a light field cleaning.
Dman and I were every bit as excited as Josh was as it was good to see our friend dig a really nice plate with practically no ground action. Before I forget, Dman dug an iron underwear button that he called his “panty” button. I didn’t want to leave that out-LOL.
Our prayers go out to the people who suffered family and property losses from the severe storms yesterday. HH, from the Tennessee Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• Trio at U.S. Cav. Site 3-4-12.jpg
    Trio at U.S. Cav. Site 3-4-12.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Josh & Dman at U.S. Cav. site.jpg
    Josh & Dman at U.S. Cav. site.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Box pp;late when Dug 3-4-12.jpg
    Box pp;late when Dug 3-4-12.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Josh\'s BP 3-4-12.jpg
    Josh\'s BP 3-4-12.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,287
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

Nice dig guys! Congrats to Josh for the beautiful boxplate and the Merrill cartridge. I was unaware that there was a .52 caliber Merrill with a metallic cartridge. I thought they were always .54 with a paper cartridge. But I don't have my bullet book on me at the moment. Hopefully ya'll can get several more good hunts out of that spot.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Totally awesome! You guys did very well. Beautiful box plate. That's high on my wish-list. HH

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

I am glad Josh got the box plate. That was a great find. I am looking forward to next week.
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Steve in PA said:
Nice dig guys! Congrats to Josh for the beautiful boxplate and the Merrill cartridge. I was unaware that there was a .52 caliber Merrill with a metallic cartridge. I thought they were always .54 with a paper cartridge. But I don't have my bullet book on me at the moment. Hopefully ya'll can get several more good hunts out of that spot.
Steve, you are correct about it not being a .52 Merrill. The bullet was significantly smaller dia. than the .54 cal. Sharps Dman showed for comparison. We find Merrills in the area. Unfortunately, I didn't have my calipers with me and the cartridge is at Josh's house. It may be a .50 cal. Maynard according to tennessee digger. That is the first full cartridge bullet I have ever seen dug in my 16 years of relics hunting except for pin fires we occasionally recover. I'll get Josh to bring it to our next hunt so I can measure it as I'm very curious now. Thanks, Q.

Button Lover

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Vol, where bouts in TN are you? We have vacant property in deer lodge,, just curious where you're at? No worries bout us taking your spots, we only get there once or twice a year until rwtirwment :-)

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds guys that plate is sweet and in nice shape!!!!!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

rebelrouser said:
way to go .that is hunting at it's best. that complete bullet and buckle are super finds.my prayers to are going to all those in that storm.
Thanks Don. You have found your share of those plates. HH, Q.
Woodland Detectors said:
:headbang: Woooooohoooo Congrats on the plate guys. They are getting scarcer, and scarcer to recover any more. Especially in that shape! Way to go trio
Thanks Mike. That was a good one and the 2nd Josh had dug. HH this week, Quindy.
RTDE3 said:
That looks like a great place to Hunt Q! I know you can't wait to get back there. Really nice finds by the trio! :thumbsup:
Please tell Josh I said Big Congrats on that sweet plate! :headbang:
He's already read you reply Rob. He went back this am and scouted around the perimeter. I suspect the Trio will return there soon. HH, Q.
Steve in PA said:
Thanks Steve and I corrected the post. It may even be a .44 cal. That recovery was basically forgotten after Josh dug the plate-LOL. HH, Q.
silversweeper said:
Totally awesome! You guys did very well. Beautiful box plate. That's high on my wish-list. HH
Thanks SS. It's always been high on my list but they seem to elude me as we are generally hunting hard hit places where the plates were dug first. Fortunately for josh, this waxs a virgin site. HH, Quindy.
oldsalty19 said:
Thanks for looking O.S. HH, Quindy.
Dman said:
I am glad Josh got the box plate. That was a great find. I am looking forward to next week.
Dman
You better saddle up as we may get in 3 hunts this week. The lost CSA camp beckons to be found with tennessee digger. Q.
Button Lover said:
Hey Vol, where bouts in TN are you? We have vacant property in deer lodge,, just curious where you're at? No worries bout us taking your spots, we only get there once or twice a year until rwtirwment :-)
Nice talking to you via pm BL. HH, Quindy.
Hutch911 said:
Great finds guys that plate is sweet and in nice shape!!!!!
With 3 hunters possessing experience on the same machines in one small area Hutch, you have 331/3% of digging a good relic if one is there. He dug a real sweet plate. Good luck in VA and if you go to DIV this Spring, Quindy.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

nice pics and some awesome relics! way to go guys! :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You alls hunts just keep getting better and better!

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow great hunt!!! congrats on the plate

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Now that is a great hunt. Finding any kind of plate is rare these days and I like the looks of that one. Not sure what the cartridge type bullet is. You guys are certainly on a roll this year and I'll see you in a few days. Tennessee digger

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Fellas', Team-work makes the Dream-work, That is what I always say. I cant believe folks are still findin' plates.
I Hope ta' find one as nice as that some day!!!! Your post made my day!

Keep it Up!!!

MJ
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice pics and some awesome relics! way to go guys! :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave. It was a small area. HH, Quindy.
birdman said:
You alls hunts just keep getting better and better!
Bird, we have been lucky lately. You can buy the best detector from Mike @ Woodland Detectors and become very proficient with it, go to a great site, but luck is still a prime factor. HH, Quindy.
kevkirki said:
wow great hunt!!! congrats on the plate
Thanks KK. Josh says it's looking better and better all the time. HH, Q.
tennessee digger said:
Now that is a great hunt. Finding any kind of plate is rare these days and I like the looks of that one. Not sure what the cartridge type bullet is. You guys are certainly on a roll this year and I'll see you in a few days. Tennessee digger
Part of the roll is all due to your research. See you Thursday, Q.
MichiganJay said:
Nice Fellas', Team-work makes the Dream-work, That is what I always say. I cant believe folks are still findin' plates.
I Hope ta' find one as nice as that some day!!!! Your post made my day!

Keep it Up!!!

MJ
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for looking MJ. We don't find many plates anymore either so this was a good day. HH, Quindy.

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac

Great finds guys, I havnt been online much to look at post, sure enough the first time I look you 3 have killed it!!!! Congratulations on that awesome plate

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saweet!!! :headbang:

M

MiniMe

What a hunt, that plate is awesome! "Panty" button had me cracking up. :laughing7: Very nice finds for all. HH! Colleen

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006

Looks like a Henry Cartridge. Very nice finds, good looking plate, congrats.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread