Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

When Dman and I invited Tenn. Josh to hunt with us in 2009, we were 100% sure that he would share any CW sites he found with us and he would never go back on us and hunt our sites without our permission. When we began digging relics at the U.S. Infantry site recently, we naturally included him in our hunts and he was able to fill a nice 12x18 inch display box with some good relics.
I received a cell call from him on Thursday and he was all excited. He had stopped by a site on his way to work to scout an area that we all believed had relic potential. He had already dug 3 dropped Sharps Carbine bullets (he dug another while we were talking) and campfire lead but had only 30 minutes left to hunt before reporting for work. He called Dman too and invited us to hunt his new site that was apparently used by U.S. Cavalry. He recovered 12 dropped Sharps during his hunt and all were in a concentrated area. Friday was predicted to be a very volatile weather day in Tennessee so we planned to hunt this morning. We met up with Josh and began hunting at 8am. Our finds from this morning are shown in the first pic with the 12 cleaned Sharps recovered by Josh on Thursday on the bottom row.
The 2nd pic is Josh and Dman as they compare bullet diameters. Josh dug a CW period carbine bullet in the cartridge. Most of the bullets in that area are Sharps so digging a full cartridge was unusual for that area based on our experience. It may be a .50 cal. but I will need to get it back from Josh to determine what it is but the dia. is significantly smaller than the .54 cal. Sharps we dug. Just after he dug the full cartridge bullet, his next signal rang up a solid “77” on his F75. We were hunting close together and Josh yelled “Plate”. We walked over and sure enough, it was a very nice U.S. box plate with one wire hook intact and remnants of the other with a full lead back. I snapped a pic of it just after Josh flipped it over. The 4th pic is of the plate after a light field cleaning.
Dman and I were every bit as excited as Josh was as it was good to see our friend dig a really nice plate with practically no ground action. Before I forget, Dman dug an iron underwear button that he called his “panty” button. I didn’t want to leave that out-LOL.
Our prayers go out to the people who suffered family and property losses from the severe storms yesterday. HH, from the Tennessee Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• Trio at U.S. Cav. Site 3-4-12.jpg
    Trio at U.S. Cav. Site 3-4-12.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Josh & Dman at U.S. Cav. site.jpg
    Josh & Dman at U.S. Cav. site.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Box pp;late when Dug 3-4-12.jpg
    Box pp;late when Dug 3-4-12.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Josh\'s BP 3-4-12.jpg
    Josh\'s BP 3-4-12.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,287
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

Tnrelicman said:
Great finds guys, I havnt been online much to look at post, sure enough the first time I look you 3 have killed it!!!! Congratulations on that awesome plate
It's really good to hear from you Guy. I hope you and Randy can get back that good site (you know the one I mean) and hunt soon. HH, Quindy.
peanut said:
Saweet!!! :headbang:
Thanks Peanut and good luck out there!!
Minime said:
What a hunt, that plate is awesome! "Panty" button had me cracking up. :laughing7: Very nice finds for all. HH! Colleen
I fugured you would like the "panty" button reference Colleen. Get out and beat old Joe to those old coins. HH, Q.
metalev4 said:
Looks like a Henry Cartridge. Very nice finds, good looking plate, congrats.
-Evan
Thanks. The 2 .36 cal. conical pistol bullets with two rings are from a Hayes revolver. Josh and I both dug one-our firsts!! HH, Quindy.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Hunt at U.S. Cavalry Camp Today-U.S. Box Plate & Sharps Galore!!

And all the old timer hunters say there ain't no big CW brass left! Heh Quindy, tell Josh I said "well done!" you guys are killin it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread