✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
"Nice guy" ... er, I mean "GoodGuy"

But I wouldn't be sleeping soundly until BigCy mails that gizmo back to you.

He told me in a PM he was going to keep it and sell it to the highest bidder ...

Which is currently me at $20.00

(Just joking, of course!)

Bob
I dont know how many times I packaged it up and then ripped it open again to check on a new theory LOL. Im mailing it tommorrow. ;D

I wonder if the Poultry Historical Society people would be interested? :wink:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
BigCy Quote: "I wonder if the Poultry Historical Society people would be interested?"

Answer ...

I'm beginning to wonder if they even exist!

I still haven't heard from our Mr. Arrington ...

And if/when I do ... I'll have to tell him he's a day late and $20.00 short!

:duckie:

Bob

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of contacting the "Soldotna Historical Society and Museum" and inquire if they would have any interest in it as a donation for display. I understand that they specialize in the homestead settlements history. It would be great to have the circular or poultry magizine to accompany it.

Soldotna Historical Society and Museum

In 1986 the City of Soldotna leased 6 acres in Centennial Park for a period of 30 years to the Soldotna Historical Society. In the summer of 1990 the Society opened the area to visitors to view a "homesteader's village" comprised of several original log buildings used by Soldotna homesteaders in earlier days.

Among the log buildings available for viewing is the community school house, built in 1958. The Slikok Valley School, renamed Damon Hall in 1963, features a mural by local artist Boyd Shaffer and is filled with homesteader's donations. The former tourist information building, used by the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce, was given to the Society in 1987 and is also within the museum with early-day artifacts and wildlife mounts on display.

The Wildlife Museum and Historic Homestead Village opens May 15, 10 to 4, Tuesday through Saturday, 12 to 4 on Sunday and closed Monday. On Centennial Park Road the museum is a wonderful stroll through the early days of Soldotna, into a time and a way of life that is not lost to "modern day" living.

GG~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
musclecar

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey GoodyGuy, if you do contact the Soldotna Historical Society, ask for Barbara Jewell. She worked with my mother at the Kenai Peninsula Borough for 20 some odd years. Now she heads the SHS. Her daughter and I palled around together in high school.... Tell her Derryl Winters told you to call her. You can be more specific in the location it was found. It was found just south (100 yards) of the old Post Office/Sears Roebuck building by the river. Now the location is paved over, and a fishing guide business is there. I have no idea of the original homestead owners name, but it is south of Francis Mullens homestead. Anyway, that might put a little provenance with the item.

MC

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
musclecar said:
Hey GoodyGuy, if you do contact the Soldotna Historical Society, ask for Barbara Jewell. She worked with my mother at the Kenai Peninsula Borough for 20 some odd years. Now she heads the SHS. Her daughter and I palled around together in high school.... Tell her Derryl Winters told you to call her. You can be more specific in the location it was found. It was found just south (100 yards) of the old Post Office/Sears Roebuck building by the river. Now the location is paved over, and a fishing guide business is there. I have no idea of the original homestead owners name, but it is south of Francis Mullens homestead. Anyway, that might put a little provenance with the item.

MC

Thanks Musclecar,

If they want it, I will donate it to them in your name.

GG~

Upvote 0

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bramblefind.... My blood pressure is back to normal and I am sleeping much better now... Still dream about patent searches, but am able to stop after about 15.... :wink:

Way to go!!!!
:notworthy:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This is for everyone, but especially BigCy ...

If you haven't already noticed, take a close look again at Bramblefind's magazine snippet below.

Notice in the upper right hand corner of the image and you will see where the part that is "nicked/damaged" on GoodGuy's device, appears to be laid out flat here in the Poultry Tribune ad. This suggest to me that this portion of the device was originally flat, but in the case of GoodGuy's was bent over for some reason. We may never know why, other than it suggest the little invention had "optional" aspects for mounting. Plus, this may explain how it got nicked in the first place when someone used a pair of tin snips or pliers and grabbed it by the corner and bent it over. The overlapping finger wheel may have prevented this flange from being grabbed with pliers from the top. Thus, the small "corner" damage. :dontknow: The only thing I don't see in the magazine image are clearly defined "screw holes." (Try using 400% zoom for detail).

I'm still on the trail, and won't rest 'til I have a copy of the Poultry Tribune ad in my hands as a reminder of the most excitement I've had since Chicken Little ran around shouting ...

"The sky is falling!" ... "The sky is falling!"

BLOODHOUNDBOB

Attachments

• Attached To Wire -  Front Image.jpg
    Attached To Wire - Front Image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 541
  • Bramblefind\'s Identification.jpg
    Bramblefind\'s Identification.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 542
  • Attached To Wire -  Front Image.jpg
    Attached To Wire - Front Image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea I noticed that tab was bent up. (note reply #1335). A lot has been made about it and I think unnecessarily. Even though it looks to be cut, I always thought it was an optional hanging tab, nothing more. I never believed it was attached to anything larger like others suggested. I am curious to see what the purpose of this tab really is. :icon_scratch: I still think its an optional hanger, but we will have to wait and see. But maybe :sign13: its a guard to keep the chickens from turning the wheel. :D (They can be sneaky like that :D :wink: and I thought chickens were dumb :D)

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you did not produce enough eggs tojustify your feed you get "culled" in the world of WW2 era chicken farming --so the chickens would push the wheel a bit when the farmer isn't looking ;D :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :notworthy: This has got to be the longest running sloved item on T-Net. Awesome detectorive work! :laughing9: :notworthy: :tongue3: Okay, What's next?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
White Feather ~

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm looking for a 1956 copy of the "Poultry Tribune" magazine.

I have already contacted several sellers from e-Bay as well as a couple of other sources, and so far have heard back from four of them. According to their initial searches of numerous original copies of the magazine, there is no appearence of the "Egg Counter" ad in any of the 1940s or 1960s examples they had. It may only have been run during the 1950s, and possibly only in 1956. :dontknow: If anyone happens to stumble across anything pertaining to this, please post it or let me know via a PM.

P.S. This could get a little complicated if twenty people contact the same e-Bay seller with the same exact question, but I'm not sure how to prevent this unless we organize something via PM's. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks,

Bob

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoooooooooHoooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Just spotted the GREEN CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Done Bramblefind :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'm sending you a PM so we can get that bottle of Fine New Zealand wine to you :thumbsup:

and great perseverance by all the other members :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

It feels like a Chapter in my life has finished :'(

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Thats a wonderful gesture Mike! But I realize the offer was made in the frustration of the moment. :laughing7: if it is a big hassle to get it to me in New York I will understand.

I was just going to post to Bob -

this might help in locating that magazine in a library. I used a random Sacramento zip code b/c I wanted to find a location in California (most likely to carry the Southwest Edition). It looks like University of CA Davis Shields Library might have it -

http://www.worldcat.org/title/poultry-tribune/oclc/8484265?pgload=backtoitem

Title Poultry tribune.
Published Mount Norris, Ill. [etc.]
Description 93 v. ill. 29 cm.
Publication History v. 1-93, no. 9; 1895-Sept. 1987.
Record format <Serial>
SE Serial
Check Availability All items
Call no. Northern Regional Lib Facility SF481 .P63

Note Vols. for July 1931-Aug. 1969 issued in several regional editions.
Link Note Absorbed: Big four poultry journal in 1918 and: Egg industry in 1977. Absorbed in part: Poultry processing and marketing in 1964.
Subject Poultry -- Periodicals.
Poultry industry -- Periodicals.
Add.Entry Poultry tribune. Midwest edition.
Poultry tribune. Southeast edition.
Absorbed Egg industry 1977
Big four poultry journal 1918
Absorbed in part Poultry processing and marketing 1964
Continued by Egg industry (Mount Morris, Ill. : 1987). Egg industry 0896-2804
ISSN 0032-5805

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bramblefind, PM sent.
I made that pledge in good faith and I've been looking forward to the day I can give the wine away (or drink it myself :laughing7: )
It is absolutely NO HASSLE for me to send it!!
Cheers, Mike :hello2:

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Darn I take that back. I don't know if they have it but one of those other libraries might.

Location Northern Regional Lib Facility SF481 .P63
Electronic Location [File Extension: url] { Request online at: } http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/access/illweb/index.html ;
Summary Holdings v.81:no.1-v.81:no.2,v.81:no.4-v.82:no.11,v.83:no.2-v.93:no.9(1975:Jan.-1987:Sept.) Issues for v.93 are bound with the later title: "Egg Industry" with the same call number.
Local holdings note Vols. for <1957>- in this Library are primarily from the Midwest edition, with some scattered issues of the Southeast edition.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions