✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
DialM said:
Has patent 2787420 been posted yet?

DialM ~

Yes, I posted the link to that patent on page 13, post #1277.
Here it is again ... it's the one with the bendable tabs on the back.

Thanks,

SBB

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2787420.pdf
Yep and I posted it on page 12, reply # 1163. It was on the list of references reply #1138. Bob posted the patent link in #1160. I posted different bendable tabs on counters in reply #1163, #1164, and # 1138. :) A lot of pages to read.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Bramblefind ~

Thank you for the library information. I've done an initial search, and although there are copies of the Poultry Tribune available in the California system, I have yet to locate anything in San Diego county where I live. I haven't quite figured out the transfer from one library to another part yet, but intend to take a closer look at that.

Actually, until you just suggested it, I never even thought of libraries. I guess that's one of the reasons why you solved this thing before anyone else. It's what I call thinking outside of the chicken coop.

Idealy, I would like to locate a copy(s) to purchase and keep. I figure poultry magazines will fit right in with my Spider-Man collection. But please, no comic book questions from anyone ... that's the topic of an entirely different forum. However, I can let you in on a little insider tip. Just today, (3-3-10) they released Spider-Man #623 where Peter Parker gets fired from the newspaper where he has worked as a photographer (although still in his twenties) since 1963. The release is considered a landmark event, and will only increase in value over time. But don't tell BigCy I mentioned any of this. If you do, I may get fired myself.

Thanks again, and I will let you know when I find one of those Poultry Tribune magazines.

Bob

Attachments

• Spider-Man 3-3-10.jpg
    Spider-Man 3-3-10.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I'm still on the trail, and won't rest 'til I have a copy of the Poultry Tribune ad in my hands as a reminder of the most excitement I've had since Chicken Little ran around shouting ...
I havent had this much excitement since Gertrude laid her first egg.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG, I saw the GREEN CHECK beside this post and almost fainted! BRAMBLE you are THE BOMB!!! :headbang: Congratulations! YOU go GIRL! :thumbsup: Breezie

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There I was, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, asking everyone I met if they knew eggsactly what the thang was, and then eggsploring every lead.

After a year I became more than a little eggsasperated, and I am not eggsagerating.
Because with all my eggsperence I still layed an egg even after looking in an hencyclopedia.

I was just to the point of eggshaustion when Bramblefind hatched out the answer that had eggscaped all our scratching around.
Finding the eggsact picture that answered all our eggspectations for an ID!

How eggsciting! I am eggstatic!
egg_static.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
While we are on the subject of egg counters, here is a cool 31 day 1942 patented counter.

Attachments

• egg counter patent 1942.jpg
    egg counter patent 1942.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Hat's off to Bramblefind, can't find a hat's off icon so...
:icon_salut: If this solution doesn't make the banner....
well, dangit this has to be banner worthy if anything ever
was!
If this doesn't get the rocognition it deserves after so many
of you hard working detectives spent the countless hours you did
searching, well............
COME ON MODS....BANNER BANNER BANNER

My 5th ever post on tnet.... #363 Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:17:30 AM
By the way, no one ever said welcome to tnet, I still haven't got over
that, obviously. lol

pronghorn said:
I think whomever suggested it mounts on a cage and is a hand operated
counter for whatever, quarantine days, vaccination, gestation on something
is right. It appears to hang on a wire from the two V prongs and the two
tabs on the bottom are bent upward around the wire to secure it. Looks like
it was used a little by the wear under the outside edge of the teeth but the tabs
to secure it were never bent up or were bent back so that you can't see they
were once bent up.

If the distance between the two wires I photoshopped into the pic below
is close to two inches, seems like it would mount on standard cage wire
or dog fence material.

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I nominated banner. Didn't someone else say they thought it was an egg counter back about halfway through the pages? Didn't that thing get sold a couple of times? Whoever's got it should send it back to Musclecar.
Now if someone could figure out what the hell those pignut things are.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
]
pronghorn said:
My 5th ever post on tnet.... #363 Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:17:30 AM
By the way, no one ever said welcome to tnet, I still haven't got over
that, obviously. lol

pronghorn said:
I think whomever suggested it mounts on a cage and is a hand operated
counter for whatever, quarantine days, vaccination, gestation on something
is right. It appears to hang on a wire from the two V prongs and the two
tabs on the bottom are bent upward around the wire to secure it. Looks like
it was used a little by the wear under the outside edge of the teeth but the tabs
to secure it were never bent up or were bent back so that you can't see they
were once bent up.

If the distance between the two wires I photoshopped into the pic below
is close to two inches, seems like it would mount on standard cage wire
or dog fence material.
It was montepollack who first suggested it may mount on a cage and sorry if you werent welcomed to TN.
"WELCOME TO TN." :icon_thumright: :hello: I was glad when you jumped on the cage counter wagon and your new observations were very helpful.

In reply to your negative PM towards me about the possible broken tab, go back and look at my diagram in reply# 1316. I know there is a lot to read here and you may have missed it. I never thought this counter was connected to anything larger or mechanical.. I bent over backwards trying to disprove any mechanical/thermostat connection and my feeling was this could only be a simple counter. I thought it was a broken hanging tab, nothing more. I only tried to be fair without prejudice to other suggestions. I guess I cant please everybody and I dont make things up later to make myself look good.. :o >:( ::)

montepollock said:
I have seen something similiar mounted on either a fence ,or a rabbit cage I don,t exactly Remember,but could it be used to keep track of some interval like vaccinations or innoculation?
[/quote

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heres another montepollack reply on page 1, #83. We need to give some credit where credit is due. We only needed to take his theory and prove it, which turned out to be a monumental task.

montepollock said:
the one I seen was mounted on a rabbit cge or chicken coup,My guess is still a counter but what?
a fertility counter of sometype to predict when animal was in estrus?
a vaacination reminder?
A chicken egg productivity counter?
Keep this post alive
I just gotta know, was it five or six?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Skrimpy said:
I nominated banner. Didn't someone else say they thought it was an egg counter back about halfway through the pages? Didn't that thing get sold a couple of times? Whoever's got it should send it back to Musclecar.
Now if someone could figure out what the hell those pignut things are.
Musclecar found it on Alaska, Goodyguy obtained it, Im sending it back to Goodyguy who offered to donate it Soldotna Historical Society in Alaska.

The Piggnuts were IDed as modern Gonjji stones (Sports Jack Stones) but because an exact match was not found, Piggy refused to accept the ID. PBK, who was the moderator at the time, froze the thread to keep it from going in circles forever.. I would like to see the Piggnutts thread brought back so we can put it to rest properly. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91892.0.html

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here's a little icing on the cake! :D I ordered this book last week ($6.98 shipping included) because I thought it just might have something to help. I referenced it in one of my snippet view posts - it is "Keeping Chickens in Cages" by Roland C. Hartman, 1953 ed. Just brought it in from today's mail-

2myc3gn.jpg

5cpzxivtfmxhtiuawf6m.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great work Bramblefind. I agree she is amazing. :notworthy:

For what its worth, notice "The dial counter can be fastened either to the cage wires or the 1x4 inch wood hangers used in many cage houses." I could be wrong but I still believe that this back tab was for this optional mounting that has been snipped off for some reason.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yep they are wrapped around. Notice a different center rivet and a slightly longer "golf club" type metal strengthening..

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Bramblefind ~

I wanted to let you know I just bought the only copy of "Keeping Chickens In Cages" that I could find on the entire internet. It was from Amazon.com, and it referred to it as an "original" (hardcover) copy from 1953! But I don't know if it had the dust cover like your's does or not. I hope so, and guess I will find out in a couple of weeks.

"Yahoo Mountain Dew!"

(I'm in the "club" now!)

Thanks ...

Bob

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread