The Curse of Civil War Gold

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/...ar-gold-new-treasure-hunting-show-on-history/

Just saw a brief preview. From the same folks that brought us The Curse of Oak Island. Just happens to be up by Marty Lagina's neck of the woods and they just happen to be using the same guy who does the metal detecting from The Curse of Oak Island, ( Gary Drayton ).

Some say the guys on Oak Island had some type of argument ? and maybe this is why ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
They show a video of what "looks" like possibly a gold bar. When they first discovered that this was on the bottom, why didn't they take a dive the next day just to confirm it instead of hoping it is and waiting for another 6 months before checking out their hunch ? You "think" you found it, but are satisfied to leave it "as is" for a long period of time before trying to tell everyone I told you so ? One more day is all it would have taken to eliminate this guess work. I like how the divers learned their lesson on how to jump off a boat. Kevin did seem to recover good from his accident. Glad he is making progress. It was funny when Kevin's crew told Chatterson they could get them close and Chatterson asked what did you consider close ? Almost sensed a hint of rivalry. Interesting that Chatterson was not interested in any of Kevin's sites. The show ended with the feeling that no promise of another season :dontknow:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I can afford and enjoy wasting my time on shenanigans.

We like watching them too, but it would be better if they found something...

shenanigans.jpg

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I still can not imagine for the life of me how can someone "Claim" to have found where the wagons loaded with gold were burned when ALL they could produce was one (1) nut and one (1) bolt from a reported total of 6 wagons ? Then the nut was not attached to the bolt either. If these were part of the wagon I would have thought the wood would have burnt leaving the nut and bolt as ONE, or if they were in metal, then that unit would have been found and the nut and bolt would still have been attached. If those were actually from a burnt wagon, they did not look like they had been in a fire. If they had been in a fire, they would probably be in a rusted condition due to heat and later elements of weather.
Look at this picture and tell me honestly that it would be logical to only find one bolt and one nut out of all these. Even if the wagons were scattered tens of yards apart, each wagon would contain more than one nut and one bolt. Citing this as proof was such a joke and for Marty Lagina to believe in that possibility was astounding.
civil war wagons.jpg

Last edited:

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gold, Col. Benjamin Pritchard got from the capture of President Jefferson Davis and his party was his share of the $100,000 REWARD shared between his regiment and the First Wisconsin of Col. Harden. Very little sharing amount a couple thousand troops and Officers. With two different regiments on the scene there is no way Pritchard or General Minty his commanding officer which was not even on the scene buried or stole any gold. No gold to steal, no gold to ship to Michigan and no gold to dump in Lake Michigan.

History Channel is good at making a story sound good with no proof and then drag it out from Michigan to Georgia to Utah and over the blasted country but still not recovering any gold from Lake Michigan. They said they already located the gold why not bring it up------------because there is no gold.

The gold made it to Texas, Shelby took it to Mexico and Maximillian sent it to France. Marty needs to go back to France

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can not imagine for the life of me how can someone "Claim" to have found were the wagons loaded with gold were burned when ALL they could produce was one (1) nut and one (1) bolt from a reported total of 6 wagons ? Then the nut was not attached to the bolt either. If these were part of the wagon I would have thought the wood would have burnt leaving the nut and bolt as ONE, or if they were in metal, then that unit would have been found and the nut and bolt would still have been attached. If those were actually from a burnt wagon, they did not look like they had been in a fire. If they had been in a fire, they would probably be in a rusted condition due to heat and later elements of weather.
Look at this picture and tell me honestly that it would be logical to only find one bolt and one nut out of all these. Even if the wagons were scattered tens of yards apart, each wagon would contain more than one nut and one bolt. Citing this as proof was such a joke and for Marty Lagina to believe in that possibility was astounding.
View attachment 1576438

It would take an awful large hole to burn six wagons. There are 24 large steel bands around each wheel with the steel hubs. Plenty of bolts a foot long and lots and lots of nuts and bolts holding the large steel springs under the seats. Preposterous to only find one bolt and one nut not attached to each other. The whole show is beyond "reasoning"

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
You are so right, yet I still watch it to see how they can top the previous episode. They deserve an Oscar. Meet Oscar thumbsup.gif

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
Dykstra and company never connected to me in the way the Laginas and the other kooky Oak Island team did. Blankenship's dogged determination alone made for compelling TV.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold made it to Texas, Shelby took it to Mexico and Maximillian sent it to France. Marty needs to go back to France

When Maximilian sent the gold to France the Templars got it, during WW II the nazis confiscated it and at the wars end sent it to Argentina with Hitler. Now we can tie oak island, the lost confederate gold and hunting hitler into one history channel show

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Maximilian sent the gold to France the Templars got it, during WW II the nazis confiscated it and at the wars end sent it to Argentina with Hitler. Now we can tie oak island, the lost confederate gold and hunting hitler into one history channel show

"The Search for Hitler's Cursed Confederate Gold of the Templars of Joke Island" :laughing7:

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Dykstra and company never connected to me in the way the Laginas and the other kooky Oak Island team did. Blankenship's dogged determination alone made for compelling TV.
=========================
I want to like Kevin Dykstra as he reminds me of someone I know and respect, but Kevin seems to be flying in a cloud bank and I pretty much lost him. Again, I refer back to him finding one bolt and one nut, ( which were not even together, and claims that is the proof he found where the wagons were burned. :icon_scratch:
As far as Oak Island, when I was a little kid some 60 years ago, I remember reading about Oak Island and was fascinated with it. My friend and I planned on someday going to Oak Island and hunt for that treasure. So I have had a life long interest in any story connected to Oak Island. But The Curse of Oak Island by History channel has pretty much dashed my interest anymore. I don't fault Marty and Rick as they got sucked in and were manipulated. I feel the History Channel is/was to blame, just as they are with the Curse of The Civil War Gold.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
You know if they did find something the series would be short, perhaps that is why they are always looking and never finding what they are looking for. Stands to reason that it would be a mini-series at best if they found it the first season.

L.C.:occasion14:

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am usually pretty patient with shows like this because the ride is sometimes worth the time, even if the destination isn't. But the last episode was the biggest eye roller of this motley bunch's quest. The video still of what Kevin thinks is "a gold bar" is almost exactly like the video still from the camera the oak island goofs put down the one bore hole. It showed what appeared to be some kind of light colored and shiney object embedded in the side of the hole. Of course it turned out to be nothing of value. Just like whatever they saw on the bottom of the lake will end up being nothing. Looked like the end of a wood plank from an era much more recent than 100+ years ago.

One of the problems with that show, just as a show, is the group is too homogenous. I can't tell one guy from the other except Kevin and maybe the tall guy who reminds me of the elf-master from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The rest are a bunch of star trek red shirts. At least on COOI you have a variety of characters that keeps things somewhat interesting when search isn't going anywhere.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I am usually pretty patient with shows like this because the ride is sometimes worth the time, even if the destination isn't. But the last episode was the biggest eye roller of this motley bunch's quest. The video still of what Kevin thinks is "a gold bar" is almost exactly like the video still from the camera the oak island goofs put down the one bore hole. It showed what appeared to be some kind of light colored and shiney object embedded in the side of the hole. Of course it turned out to be nothing of value. Just like whatever they saw on the bottom of the lake will end up being nothing. Looked like the end of a wood plank from an era much more recent than 100+ years ago.

===================
Yes, then they swore there was a body on the bottom, then tools. I admit, the pictures and video can play mind games on you.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the problems with that show, just as a show, is the group is too homogenous. I can't tell one guy from the other except Kevin and maybe the tall guy who reminds me of the elf-master from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The rest are a bunch of star trek red shirts. At least on COOI you have a variety of characters that keeps things somewhat interesting when search isn't going anywhere.

Extremely true, one of my biggest issues is that I can't remember a single guy from it, except for Kevin. That comment about the guy who looks like the elf-master made me laugh!

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it is still a ways off, but the show has been renewed for a second season. :BangHead:

[h=2]The Curse of Civil War Gold TV Series Status[/h]​
[h=2]The Curse of Civil War Gold SEASON 2 Renewed By History[/h]
The Curse of Civil War Gold Season 2 release date – Summer 2019

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it is still a ways off, but the show has been renewed for a second season. :BangHead:

[h=2]The Curse of Civil War Gold TV Series Status[/h]​
[h=2]The Curse of Civil War Gold SEASON 2 Renewed By History[/h]
The Curse of Civil War Gold Season 2 release date — Summer 2019

I was even more surprised to see that Curse of Oak Island was renewed for season 6, I thought they made it pretty clear that they were done with it on the last episode of season 5.

Edit: It looks like season 6 already started, I had no idea!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe, since Marty has a stake in The Curse of The Civil War Gold, The History Channel lured them back by making a deal involving both quests. But then again, with Canada kicking in almost $ 4,000,000.00, that shows the Canadian government wants or needs the tourist dollars that is generated there. Four million can fund a lot.
[FONT=&quot]'' The Nova Scotia Film and Television Production Incentive Fund (NSFPIF) committed$3.97million Canadian dollars (US$3million) to helping create the program, compared to $1.9million Canadian dollars (US$1.5million) for Season 5.[/FONT]

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live and hunt in North Atlanta. Supposedly they hid the Confederated gold along a rail road leading out of Atlanta on the west side of Atlanta. Unfortunately that area of west Atlanta is ghetto land and there are no gold hunting adventurers brave enough to hunt in that area of Atlanta. Another area is a creek area off of the Chattahoochee river. But unfortunately it is on Federal Parks Property and there are no gold hunting adventurers brave enough to hunt in that area of Atlanta. So the curse is pretty powerful being protected by those two facts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread