The Curse of Civil War Gold

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/...ar-gold-new-treasure-hunting-show-on-history/

Just saw a brief preview. From the same folks that brought us The Curse of Oak Island. Just happens to be up by Marty Lagina's neck of the woods and they just happen to be using the same guy who does the metal detecting from The Curse of Oak Island, ( Gary Drayton ).

Some say the guys on Oak Island had some type of argument ? and maybe this is why ?

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how Many Need to die before it is Found ?
will they Have a war room ?
will they take vacations to other Countries ?

and How long Before they find a Connection to the Knights Templers & oak Island
before they Find a Rail road Spike that proves Noah really planted the Civil War gold a Mile under the River ?

Jeff, you sound like a writer for the show...! :laughing7:
Fairly predictable format, huh?

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Tonight's New episode ( 04/30/2019 ) "The Return" picked up exactly where last season left off. No progress was made and imaginations running rampant. They believe they have found "the" boxcar. Before they dive on it, they are saying the boxcar should be 7ft -8ft wide. Then they dive on it and measure this item and arrive at a measurement of 16ft x 15ft. That should have been a red flag.
This is what a boxcar from that era should measure:
The dimensions of an ordinary box car are as follows: Length 27 feet (inside measurement), width 7 11/12 feet (inside measurement), height 6 feet (inside measurement). This gives a space of 1,282 1/2 cubic feet. The capacity of this car is from 18,000 to 20,000 pounds. Platform or open cars are usually 26 feet long and 8 feet wide, capacity from 14,000 to 18,000 pounds.
Railroad Transportation of Commissary Stores

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's New episode ( 04/30/2019 ) "The Return" picked up exactly where last season left off. No progress was made and imaginations running rampant. They believe they have found "the" boxcar. Before they dive on it, they are saying the boxcar should be 7ft -8ft wide. Then they dive on it and measure this item and arrive at a measurement of 16ft x 15ft. That should have been a red flag.
This is what a boxcar from that era should measure:
The dimensions of an ordinary box car are as follows: Length 27 feet (inside measurement), width 7 11/12 feet (inside measurement), height 6 feet (inside measurement). This gives a space of 1,282 1/2 cubic feet. The capacity of this car is from 18,000 to 20,000 pounds. Platform or open cars are usually 26 feet long and 8 feet wide, capacity from 14,000 to 18,000 pounds.
Railroad Transportation of Commissary Stores

You caught that also :) This show IS Total BS,Period :(

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I T Totally believe in the Curse of the Civil War Gold. I have been a Relic hunter for some 38 years now and I have yet to have found the first gold bar. I'm cursed. Lol If Marty and the rest of the Oak Island crew truly want to find the Knights Templar treasure, all they need to do is include Geraldo Rivera to their ranks. They would be sure to find the treasure then. Remember the televised search for Al Capone's Secret Vault? Oh the mystery, oh the Drama, oh, whatta waste of time.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched My recording.
IF They find the Gold at the Bottom of the Lake,
The Archies will Immediately Say "Stop !" & "Leave !"
And say in order to Prevent Looters No more Digging.
At that point a Covert Search & Recovery By the Real Looters,( The Archies )
will dig & recover it, Then say No gold Found.

Total B.S. ! Get the State & Archies involved & It's all Downhill from There :(

and again, Get the Lagina's Involved And confidence is out the Window.
From their end, I think It's all about the Advertising Bucks & Dragging things out,as long as they keep it coming in.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring on the curse just gimme the Gold

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the Curse ? the Lagina's the Archies or the Grubberment ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... ( The Archies )
will dig & recover it, Then say No gold Found.

Total B.S. ! Get the State & Archies involved & It's all Downhill from There :( .....

If Govt. said "no gold found", then it could be that ..... as you suggest: That there in fact WAS gold found. Yet they just lied in a grand conspiracy. Right ? Since , of course, all govt. people scheme day and night how to steal gold. Right ?

Or how about this alternative : What if truly no gold was found ? Is that even within the realms of possibility ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying The Whole Search Under the Lake will BE inconclusive.
Even IF Gold is Found.
Simply because The Govmnt. & Archies Will not under any circumstances
Admit Confederate Gold Exists. as Long as The News Doesn't get the Story First.
& They Stopped that. Potential "Looters" will be the Excuse. But they will be the Looters.
"Fan the Sand Only" " No Touchy !"

Guaranteed, They Video that Gold Bar, It will either Disappear, Or a Gold Colored
Something will Appear.

Simply put. I Don't Know if it Exists or Not.
But IF it does & Is in the Lake, We'll never know

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...because The Govmnt. & Archies Will not under any circumstances
Admit Confederate Gold Exists. ...

I dunno why that's a "given". I work at 2 different museums, so I rub shoulders with govt. people and archies. And would see no reason why they wouldn't make a cool find public for their museums, if something were found.

So if I heard a "no gold found " pronouncement, I would not conclude "We'll never know". I would tend to believe what they said.

I'm sure that "anything's possible" (I mean, sure, there are some crooked people in all walks of life). But it's not necessarily a given that a govt. archie will *always* deny finding valuables.

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen the first half hour of this season but every time they show the video clip of the "gold bar", before they graphically enhance it, it always looks like the very end of a wooden plank or some kind of dimensional lumber. The rest of it being buried in sediment. That would seem the very exact kind of thing that would transpire on one of these shows. Oh look! We found the Nazi Gold Train on the bottom of lake Michigan! Oh, sorry, it's just the square corner of a rock.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen the first half hour of this season but every time they show the video clip of the "gold bar", before they graphically enhance it, it always looks like the very end of a wooden plank or some kind of dimensional lumber. The rest of it being buried in sediment. That would seem the very exact kind of thing that would transpire on one of these shows. Oh look! We found the Nazi Gold Train on the bottom of lake Michigan! Oh, sorry, it's just the square corner of a rock.

I Agree ! I Thought I saw wood Grain too.
of course the exact spot will doubtfully ever be found again.
or admitted to finding again.
every week they can Color it over again.
That's a Few seconds they can repeat all night, over & over all season :unhappysmiley:

"A gold Bar ? Under The Water ? Could that be the Lost Box Car
and the Confederate Treasure ? "

Last edited:

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Probably the only treasure those people ever had was US of A mint gold coins sunk with the Alabama. Just like Yamasita's gold its an intresting tale. Not one gram of either hord has been found. You should be in bed with Mama watching MASH re-runs and getting jiggy.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Season 2, episode 2: ( 05/07/2019 )
Was even more disappointing than last week's episode 1. Maybe it is me looking at their work thru a different set of eyes, but EVERYWHERE they look, they'd say this is the spot. So far, they have found diddly. If a goldfish was to swim by I could imagine them elude to the idea that the fish is gold due to gold bars in the area. I can't help but think back to their first season last year and how unprepared they where for the task at hand. For instance, last year they went out west to look for a connection to a mine or cave. But when they find a cave or mine, thet can't explore it because nobody brought a flashlight. Earlier in the season, they look for a train engine which is now buried under sand. Brad sticks a probe down through the sand and then exclaims he is now touching the engine. Where is the proof ? When they are under the bank, Brad sticks his arm through a small hole in the wall and claims there is a void and he is touching nails and a "latch" which he believes is a door. Where is the proof ? Again, we have to take his word for it. And you mean these guys are so unprepared that they did not even bring a snake camera ? Tonight's episode really lacked anything that proved they were on the right track. Next week they are searching for underground tunnels. This may not be that big of a deal as these were fairly common back in the prohibition era.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Watched a little bit last night. Did anyone catch the narration of the detector "beeps" the divers were getting from the bottom of the lake. They were careful to tell about how the detector can tell the difference between ferrous and non-ferrous. And then later, when they get a beep, proclaim "silver or gold !" (yet, of course, they can't dig it up, because they don't have an excavation permit from the govt.).

Why is the beep necessarily silver or gold ? There's SCORES of other types of non-ferrous metals. Eg.: copper, brass, aluminum, lead, etc.... Also, with their silent search "beep-or-no-beep" fisher, they could also be getting beeps of iron over-load. Ie.: if you sweep that thing over a plate sized cast-iron chunk, it will indeed "beep", despite being ferrous iron.

I had to change the channel lest I toss my cookies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'm waiting for one to come out on coin roll hunting.

It would probably be more realistic and exciting. Oh ... wait .... no ... , here's what would happen : There'd be dramatic music, high drama, cliff-hangers before commercials, etc... And then ... someone finds a $5 gold in a roll of nickels !!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The curse of the Civil War Gold must be real cause I'm still cursed. I have yet to find the first good bar. Lol

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It would probably be more realistic and exciting. Oh ... wait .... no ... , here's what would happen : There'd be dramatic music, high drama, cliff-hangers before commercials, etc... And then ... someone finds a $5 gold in a roll of nickels !!

Tom is your post to be continued next week?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread