The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 17

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and congratulations. You may clean and do what you like with your finds. There are good articles on here about cleaning things you may wish to share some of your tricks.
Welcome to t-net. Good first post and happy hunting:thumbsup:
TnMtns

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find, both for the 1/2 reale and the GW button. Wish I could/hope I find one of those someday!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, and what a shame on the electrolysis, but a very nice button anyhow.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get the feeling you're going to hang on to that thing, so I say, clean that sucker however you see fit and nice find any way you rub it!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
welcome to the GW club,i myself would not have zapped it.ouch! but it's your find.congrats!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find - but by cleaning like that - you cut value way down
congrats on it and other finds
More like ruined it :sadsmiley: you should never use electrolysis on valuble items especially copper, it fries them as can be seen by this button...I don't mean to criticise, it's a great find :thumbsup:

SS

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More like ruined it :sadsmiley: you should never use electrolysis on valuble items especially copper, it fries them as can be seen by this button...I don't mean to criticise, it's a great find :thumbsup:

SS

Electrolysis is great...if you like pitting. Looks like it was sand blasted for awhile.
"find of a lifetime"....ruined.

Similarly a recent found gold coin was field cleaned (and it had to be field cleaned because there was the picture of it sitting on the dirt without a speck of dirt on the coin, even in the devices.) leaving it covered in cleaning scratches, if that coin had had a "D" mint mark the guy would have just wiped off 20,000. For those who say "I don't care", or "I don't sell" Well someday someone will be selling. I don't care who you are if you say you don't care about 20,000, or loosing 25-75% of the value of your finds, you're not being honest. Would those same people throw away half of the silver coins they have found ? We know the answer.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find and congratulations. You may clean and do what you like with your finds. There are good articles on here about cleaning things you may wish to share some of your tricks.
Welcome to t-net. Good first post and happy hunting:thumbsup:
TnMtns

I REALLY hope you want him to "share his tricks" as an example of WHAT NOT TO DO with a rare historic relic.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if you don't ever intend to sell your finds, there is certainly no good reason for not properly preserving/restoring something that is rare and of historical significance--the finder could have used the button for melt value too, but that doesn't justify not properly preserving it. There is certainly enough free information on the Internet and the original poster immediately knew it was a significant find. I do hope the press doesn't get wind of this story as those who want to restrict metal detecting will publicize stories like this in their argument. Oh well, I do sincerely hope that you can have someone professionally restore the button to any degree which is possible and that the electrolysis hasn't done too much damage. Do you happen to have a picture of the button "as dug?"

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Good god man. What have you done. Brings a fricken tear to my eyes. Would have loved to have seen it before the Massacre.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all Thanks
No it did not come of the ground like that. It look a lot cleaner then it is. For some reason when I use the sun to take my photo's. It still has a lite soiling on the button. But the sun makes it look blown out in the photo. The good thing with using the sun is it can give great detail. Yes it has been cleaned. I use electrolysis cleaning I have been using this on coins for years. It dose a great job on coin's and dose not hurt the Item. O by the way it was found with a E-Trac 12 in. down.

I was hoping you found it in saltwater

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the title should read..

The fry of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button....:laughing9:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you don't ever intend to sell your finds, there is certainly no good reason for not properly preserving/restoring something that is rare and of historical significance--the finder could have used the button for melt value too, but that doesn't justify not properly preserving it. There is certainly enough free information on the Internet and the original poster immediately knew it was a significant find. I do hope the press doesn't get wind of this story as those who want to restrict metal detecting will publicize stories like this in their argument. Oh well, I do sincerely hope that you can have someone professionally restore the button to any degree which is possible and that the electrolysis hasn't done too much damage. Do you happen to have a picture of the button "as dug?"

Lucklily, or otherwise, the OP doesn't care too much about opinion as in 6 and 1/2 years hasn't found a single find worth posting a reply to ? (that's weird) Total posts=2 from his own find, (extreamly self centered ?) probably never see him again.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eagle 1 said:
There are only 76 none make 77 now. I looked it up and mine in the med. between the G W. And that sucker is a cool $3,000.00 WOW. I took some new Photo's in the sun today.

If you click on the word "coin" in his original post it will take you to another forum where he does post it seems. He recently posted this statement above...the sad part is that whatever the button was worth, it is now probably only worth about 1/10th (or less) of its original value and we've lost a valueable piece of early American history that may have contained a new die variety. Anyone have a more definitive idea of what a cleaning like this would do to its market value?

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Congrats on an awesome find!!!!.......................HH

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread