The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 17

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
So if it's all about the history and not the money, then why does it matter what the button looks like! Is a prettier button more historical? Keep talking Johnny, because when you do I don't need my musket, you shoot your own self in the foot! :laughing7:

:sign10:
I am having fun with you dirtyman...

Ok here is an example..
If a collector was looking as this button before it was cleaned,he might say,i can get that looking pretty good..

And maybe offer a real good price on it..

What do you think he would say now??

Would you like some soda with that potatoe chip:laughing7:

Blaze

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sign10:
I am having fun with you dirtyman...

Ok here is an example..
If a collector was looking as this button before it was cleaned,he might say,i can get that looking pretty good..

And maybe offer a real good price on it..

What do you think he would say now??

Would you like some soda with that potatoe chip:laughing7:

Blaze

Or he could say... what a piece of crap, but now that you cleaned it, I can read it, and will buy it.

Last edited:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a fried GW button. I would still take it. :laughing7:

Great entertainment....JBlaze owning Iron Patch. My night is made. <laughing>

Kirk

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a fried GW button. I would still take it. :laughing7:

Great entertainment....JBlaze owning Iron Patch. My night is made. <laughing>

Kirk

I think we need to take Iron Patch for a ride....

Attachments

• 5I95L85K43Ef3K53obc8keed4dbbfb5841598.jpg
    5I95L85K43Ef3K53obc8keed4dbbfb5841598.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 143

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point is if you dont know what the heck your doing,dont clean a once in a lifetime find.

But your bleeding heart just had to open to this disaster..Then you wont admit you were wrong..
They could definately use you in Washington.

Also this guy is a 38 year veteran hunter..I mean if you have not learned these codes by then:BangHead:

All in all im sure people learn from a post like this..

Blaze

Wrong about what? That I gave you a very clear example of how an experience of mine would have had all of you saying the same thing, but you would have been wrong. So why do shipwreck coins get a pass when it comes to cleaning? what if someone found a GW button on a shipwreck, would the same cleaning method not apply?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If we set aside the eye appeal (value) of the "before" or "after" versions of this button--you know where I stand (hopefully this guy took some before photos of it!), the type of work that Robert Silverstein is doing on the Isabela's 1789 GWIB site partially relies on discovering die variations of these buttons for posterity. I think we can safely say that detail on this button has now been forever lost that may have revealed a new die variant and this is a shame. I like the quote from his site very much "We see current button holders as the caretakers for the preservation of America's first historical artifact."

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Kirk_PA_careful_what_you_wish_for.jpg
    Kirk_PA_careful_what_you_wish_for.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 121
  • guillotine_large4.jpg
    guillotine_large4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 103
  • just_glovely.jpg
    just_glovely.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Banner_Konkey.jpg
    Banner_Konkey.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 88
  • smokin_kirk4.jpg
    smokin_kirk4.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 117
  • skunked_again2.jpg
    skunked_again2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 102
  • Kirk_Celebrates_Victory.jpg
    Kirk_Celebrates_Victory.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Colonial_Sham_Wow.jpg
    Colonial_Sham_Wow.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 206
  • ddhj4m8r_137dp88jwcx_b.jpeg
    ddhj4m8r_137dp88jwcx_b.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you used to get so mad!!! All those days you'd strike out and I'd post the skunk mobile. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. What some people don't know about electrolysis is that you do have to be real careful with electrolysis. It does a great job when done right. But it can pit and destroy a coin or button

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
A long time ago I found a nice Royal Scot's gold gilt officer's button. I sent a pic to a prominent rev/1812 collector (GJ)and was offered $1000. I turned down the offer and decided that I would try to really clean it up. I was a rookie back them and put it in the electolysis glass and overcooked it. Now it just sits as a filler in my collection. Lesson learned....no more electrolysis for me. But I do clean every button that I decide to keep to the condition that pleases me most. If you can't see the details then it's just another flat button to me. I agree with iron patch, any buttons that I sell are cleaned to the max.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread