The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 17

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time ago I found a nice Royal Scot's gold gilt officer's button. I sent a pic to a prominent rev/1812 collector (GJ)and was offered $1000. I turned down the offer and decided that I would try to really clean it up. I was a rookie back them and put it in the electolysis glass and overcooked it. Now it just sits as a filler in my collection. Lesson learned....no more electrolysis for me. But I do clean every button that I decide to keep to the condition that pleases me most. If you can't see the details then it's just another flat button to me. I agree with iron patch, any buttons that I sell are cleaned to the max.

That was definitely the old days. I offered him one about a year ago that I am pretty sure he would have paid about 2k for back in the day, and now the answer was... not buying British buttons.

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Ya the market is way down these days. This was about 15 or so years ago. I have a Butlers Rangers that would have brought big bucks back in the day and I would be lucky to get $100 today, if I could only find a buyer.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle 1 you are an old pro and member since 06 and you have two (now five) posts. You have shown how to ruin banner finds. You have done Tnet members a very great service. I salute you sir. :thumbsup: Next time, try peroxide, it will yield the best results on old copper/bronze banner finds, as well as any old LC's and Indian cents. Personally, I like the battery acid treatment, it works much better than electrolysis. Great find. :notworthy:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds+, I've always hoped to find a GW Button, But being in North Georgia I'm thinking the odds arnt very good, Congrats on some cool finds!!!..................HH

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
blaze, take a Valium. It's not the internet. It's a blog, about treasure, holy crap! LMFAO :laughing9: Just try to relax a bit. You big passionate detectorist dude!. And don't ever try to give me advice about another Tnet member, I know my standing here, and I know the members. Your silly attempt to use my comment to poke at a respected member is disgusting and not called for. Now go take a deep breath and take a good long look in a mirror and try to figure out what your real feelings are. I love you man. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the market is way down these days. This was about 15 or so years ago. I have a Butlers Rangers that would have brought big bucks back in the day and I would be lucky to get $100 today, if I could only find a buyer.

But that's one of those that the money doesn't matter so much and is easy to keep. For Rev War buttons it really does seem like there's no "middle class" buyers. The top guys who will pay well now need something great to shell out the cash, and everything else requires an effort just to get a fraction of what it used to be worth. I know someone in the Niagara area who basically bailed on his entire 1812 collection about 10 years ago, and looks like it was a very good move when you look at both the dollar and general loss of interest for paying much for the stuff. Jeeze I remember nice DUG officer buttons doing in the range of $400! Even more insane common Artillery close to $100! But I guess times change, fortunately the history never does. I would love to find a Butlers but pretty slim chance as I've only read one instance of one soldier ever being around here.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very entertaining.

One of you have highlighted that we are custodians to some important historial finds, which this one is in the bracket of.

My question to the finder, is, would he do the same thing again?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eagle 1 said:
The damage is all ready there from being in a farm field for 200 years. With all the minerals and chemicals eating away at the coin's and Button's. This is where the pitting come's from not from the electrolysis. Electrolysis only cleans the item not pit's it.

was followed by

Eagle 1 said:
What some people don't know about electrolysis is that you do have to be real careful with electrolysis. It does a great job when done right. But it can pit and destroy a coin or button

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: ???

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is the point.

Electrolysis should not be used on important historical artifacts that are non ferrous.

You removed its aging and patina and much of its value. Mot only monetary but its desirability.

Is it a good find? Damn right
Did you ruin it? Pretty much
Is it still a GW button? Yes

Do what you must but if you feel the need to have shinning items that you can turn into cash then go look for jewelry and silver at the park.

And leave the historical items for those that appreciate it.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. Its on my list to find.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW,WOW,WOW,WOW and last but not least WOW !!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UOTE=RelicRick;3039151]Welcome to the GW club and the forum! What State are you in?[/QUOTE]He's in a bad state mate, just like the GW button is :laughing7:

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the point.

Electrolysis should not be used on important historical artifacts that are non ferrous.

You removed its aging and patina and much of its value. Mot only monetary but its desirability.

Is it a good find? Damn right
Did you ruin it? Pretty much
Is it still a GW button? Yes

Do what you must but if you feel the need to have shinning items that you can turn into cash then go look for jewelry and silver at the park.

And leave the historical items for those that appreciate it.
You can do the same with a Silver coin to...believe me I know, if I can find it I will show you. I knew it wasn't a valuable coin, that's why I fryed it, electrolosis can be both usfull, and deadly.

SS

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
blaze, take a Valium. It's not the internet. It's a blog, about treasure, holy crap! LMFAO :laughing9: Just try to relax a bit. You big passionate detectorist dude!. And don't ever try to give me advice about another Tnet member, I know my standing here, and I know the members. Your silly attempt to use my comment to poke at a respected member is disgusting and not called for. Now go take a deep breath and take a good long look in a mirror and try to figure out what your real feelings are. I love you man. :thumbsup:

If you looked in the mirror..This is what you would see ha...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
E

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Here is the coin before I cleaned it. You can see all the pitting in it.

Attachments

• 20121125_7.JPG
    20121125_7.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20121125_10.JPG
    20121125_10.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 221

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread