The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 825
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 17

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congrats. Welcome to the forum!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great button. If I had dug it I probably would not have cleaned it to bare metal.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button & silver - congrats!

(the other button is tombac not pewter)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the GW button and Spanish silver! Just curious--did that button come out of the ground like that?

Last edited:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds my man. Best detector going the MXT,must be look what it found for you! Congrats and HH.....

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the GW Inaugural button!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to TNet and awesome first post, Eagle 1!
Nick

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Button! And Great Going On The Spanish Silver! Welcome Aboard!

OP
OP
E

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all Thanks
No it did not come of the ground like that. It look a lot cleaner then it is. For some reason when I use the sun to take my photo's. It still has a lite soiling on the button. But the sun makes it look blown out in the photo. The good thing with using the sun is it can give great detail. Yes it has been cleaned. I use electrolysis cleaning I have been using this on coins for years. It dose a great job on coin's and dose not hurt the Item. O by the way it was found with a E-Trac 12 in. down.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find - but by cleaning like that - you cut value way down
congrats on it and other finds