The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kuger,
remind me not to piss you off. It could be the end of me. I will tell you one good thing that has come from the metal vs plastic debate, is I am buying me a metal pan. Lol.
One of the benefits I could see is more weight equals more inertia. Meaning, when you work the pan one way and then the other, it seems there could be more kinetic energy released. That extra energy could aid in driving the gold down to the bottom quicker.
Interesting thought time to go on eBay, I need to find every piece of mariposa lost treasure I can.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT was said in my thread??? Let me at em, let me at em!! :censored: :angry4: :dontknow:

No Eagle it wasnt,on your thread bud.....

Charles,yea,not mad,just dont accuse me of something I have not done,and then make assanine remarks just to try and discredit me.......:icon_thumleft: Thats all that "fellow",was doing....

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle,
what is it you don't like about the current ripple system on gold pans? I'm very curious. Also if you feel these types of question dilute the quality of your thread be sure to let me know. I'll stop. Thanks

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Eagle it wasnt,on your thread bud.....

Charles,yea,not mad,just dont accuse me of something I have not done,and then make assanine remarks just to try and discredit me.......:icon_thumleft: Thats all that "fellow",was doing....
Phew. I was wondering how I missed that arguement. (lol)

While we're on the subject of metal pans, if you buy a new one, make sure you take the time to build a small (hardwood) fire. When it's down to a bed of hot coals, put the pan in the coals until you can only lift it with pliers. Then while it's still good and hot, rub it inside and out with oil. (I always used motor oil). Then put it back in the coals until it's almost glowing red. Then remove it and let it cool down normally. (No water).

What you've now done is preserved the life of your pan. Slows rust down tremendously. When a pan gets rusty, even though you "scour" it thoroughly and it looks new, the rust has left little pits in the metal which will catch the real small particals of gold and make it difficult to collect them.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read this and am banging my head on the wall, ready to pull my hair out. Oh god the second i finish high school, im taking a pick axe and a gun and getting to work
Uhh, what's the gun for??

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle! You be getting a bit greedy and want all the gold? or smoking that medicineman blend?

Friend, have never heard that before and being a 'tourist' ain't gonna buy it! I want the roughest rusty ol metal pan I can find (as long as you can't see daylight thru it! If'n gold is lost in the pits of the rust; too small and don't want it anyway! Oil a goldpan to make it last? Love your sense of humor!

I will keep you in mind, on a place to plant your butt up here. Know a guy who has property over around south of Triangle Rd and 49, but lives in SF. He might be interested in a watchdog, but don't know.

Take care Friend, Shep

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
what is it you don't like about the current ripple system on gold pans? I'm very curious. Also if you feel these types of question dilute the quality of your thread be sure to let me know. I'll stop. Thanks
No, not a bit. If you don't ask questions, how will you learn?

Probably I'm just old fashioned. Keep in mind that I was panning for gold long before the plastic pans came on the market.

The riffles get in my way. I use the opposite side of the pan. I can pan most of the black sand out without losing any visible gold. By using the plastic riffles, it's virtually impossible to separate the gold from the black sand by panning. But, that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle! You be getting a bit greedy and want all the gold? or smoking that medicineman blend?

Friend, have never heard that before and being a 'tourist' ain't gonna buy it! I want the roughest rusty ol metal pan I can find (as long as you can't see daylight thru it! If'n gold is lost in the pits of the rust; too small and don't want it anyway! Oil a goldpan to make it last? Love your sense of humor!

I will keep you in mind, on a place to plant your butt up here. Know a guy who has property over around south of Triangle Rd and 49, but lives in SF. He might be interested in a watchdog, but don't know.

Take care Friend, Shep

I'm not sure quite how to answer this. (lol)

The last time you put the pan in the coals will burn the oil out 100%.

As for "getting a bit greedy and want all the gold? or smoking that medicineman blend"? I'll have to admit to a little of both. (lol)
With my income, I now want to save every little speck of gold. Not like back in the days when I'd take out the pickers and dump the rest back in the river. (lol)

Thanks in advance for finding out about the guy in SF.

I'm hoping to get back up there right after the 1st of October. Hope to see you then.

Eagle

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EagleDown said:
No, not a bit. If you don't ask questions, how will you learn?

Probably I'm just old fashioned. Keep in mind that I was panning for gold long before the plastic pans came on the market.

The riffles get in my way. I use the opposite side of the pan. I can pan most of the black sand out without losing any visible gold. By using the plastic riffles, it's virtually impossible to separate the gold from the black sand by panning. But, that's just my opinion.

Thanks again eagle. I respect your opinion. .

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang it! when I hit the wrong button!

Had a great reply! if I say so myself. Will try to regress-

On another Thread on the same subject, I posted my thought as here. Bottom line is, as I said there; stories I've read bout the ol timers- panning all day and in the evening use the same pan to fry up a squirrel or rabbit and then use the same pan the next day for work. Now my original statement may be wrong or he didn't give a hoot bout the little stuff (bigger gold found back then). Now, we know the first can't be right! and you fit in w/ the ol timers finding bigger gold so? ;-)
Please let me know when you're on your way up again. Sorry about last time, I figured it out one time and I cover like 300 sq miles, and I was just in the wrong area at the time.

Take care my friend, Shep

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem my friend! I'll try to post the date I'll be up your way, at least a couple of days early.

Oh yeah, I'd totally forgot about the squirrel in the pan. And, even a rattler or two. (lol) I've also taken a "bird bath" out of my pan on a number of occasions.

mbumgua

Sep 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariposa

Eagle I sent you a PM and gave you the location of my property. You have permission to go up the road and look at it-- and you have my name so you can use it if confronted. Let me know if you need more info and i will PM my cell phone.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle I sent you a PM and gave you the location of my property. You have permission to go up the road and look at it-- and you have my name so you can use it if confronted. Let me know if you need more info and i will PM my cell phone.

Post of the year:icon_thumright:
:icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great conversation guys....I actually never have oiled my pans,but do burn em.Learn something new every day...."guess we are all Tourists"!!LOL!!!!

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, there are some people who come into Tnet and proclaim that lost treasure stories are a load of hooey. So, I thought I'd share this story with you. I tends to prove what I've said over and over. There ARE treasures buried all over the U.S. and the world. Most of them, (unlike this one), have never been found.

May we all be as prosperous as 69 year old prepper Walter Samaszko Jr., who was recently found deceased in his Nevada home.
Likewise, may we all be as tight-lipped about what we’ve got in our stockpiles.
When police entered his home after calls from concerned neighbors they were surprised to discover some $7 million worth of gold.
The operational security surrounding his stash was top notch, as not a single person had any idea what was hidden in his garage, throughout his house, and buried in his yard.
They found gold in boxes in the garage — lots of gold.
“At that point, we took the house apart,” Glover said.
That included a thorough search of the house itself, the crawl space beneath as well as a search of the entire yard using a metal detector.
Glover said they found box after box of gold coins and bullion, all neatly wrapped in aluminum foil and plastic cases.
“There were dos-pesos smaller than a dime, five-peso coins, $20 gold pieces, gold sovereigns, Austrian ducats, Krugerrands; you name it, (he) had it.”
Based on just the weight of the gold alone, Glover said he estimates the value of the gold at about $7 million but that, since some of the coins appear to be collector’s items, it could go much higher. Some of the English Sovereigns, he said, date to the 1840s. He is hiring an expert to value the coins.
How much gold? Enough that it took Glover two wheelbarrow loads to move it, enough that the boxes make a pile 2′ by 3′ by 21⁄2′ tall.

Nobody had any clue he was hoarding the gold,” Glover said.
UPI
Of note is that Mr. Samaszko has been identified by the Nevada Appeal as “anti-government” – often a typical label given to those who are liberty minded and willing to explore non-traditional ideas.
Not only was he hoarding wheelbarrows of gold, but he was also stockpiling food and weapons:
Samaszko was “anti-government,” a recluse and a hoarder.
“He never went to a doctor,” he said. “He was obsessed with getting diseases from shots.”
There were a few conspiracy theory books in the home along with several guns, and supplies including dozens of cans of tuna and salmon among other things.
While he never needed to dig into the emergency food larder and self defense stockpiles, Samaszko had lived off the gold he and his mother purchased in the 1960′s. At that time, gold was pegged at $35 per ounce.
With the gold valued at current market price, there were roughly 4,300 ounces in his home when he died. At 1960′s prices, the original investment (not including numismatic value) would have been about $150,000.
By all accounts, Samaszko was his own central bank and totally independent of the system.
Despite being dismissed as an anti-government recluse by mainstream reporters, he probably lived a good life, especially if you consider that he hadn’t worked a traditional job for over forty years.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard it must have been for Glover. $7M buys a lot of camoflage. Buys a lot of a lot of things. Sure would have tested me. "Yeah boss, we found almost a million in gold in his garage." lol

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
So Eagle, are you going to make a scouting run? Sounds like it could be good for all involved8-)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard it must have been for Glover. $7M buys a lot of camoflage. Buys a lot of a lot of things. Sure would have tested me. "Yeah boss, we found almost a million in gold in his garage." lol

:laughing9: The sad part is, he found that the old axiom is true; "You can't take it with you". :laughing9:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Eagle, are you going to make a scouting run? Sounds like it could be good for all involved8-)
I'm going to try for the first week of October. But, right now, we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to see that things are still up and runnin' over here Eagle, and it's good to see you're still sharing the treasure tales and the great tips on "how to".

Not only are you a legend, but you're legendary with your generosity to boot!

All the best my friend,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread