The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldbag, thanks for the very detailed response. It will help me make a better decision when that day comes.

Eagle,
Last time I was in the canyon and I found some sweet opals on the hood of your truck, what can I do with them? Also did you get any good pics last time you were down? Have a good weekend.
Not so much on pics since I spent most of the 3 weeks on the river. I even had to remain there at night (alone) since I didn't want to lose the campsite or the equipment. I have a couple of pics in my other camera that I haven't downloaded yet. Unfortunately, I don't even remember what they were of. (lol) I'll problably check them out today, since you've reminded me of them.

As for the opals; I make sterling silver settings for them. i.e.; Pendants, rings and earings, etc. Though, I have to admit, precious opal really looks better when set in gold. I just don't work with gold jewelry, if I make a mistake with silver, it just costs a couple of dollars to repair, but gold? Nope, can't afford that!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Some bad pics taken from the car for ya Eagle

Attachments

• Briceburg 002.JPG
    Briceburg 002.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 390
  • Briceburg 004.JPG
    Briceburg 004.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 707
  • Briceburg 007.JPG
    Briceburg 007.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 168

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's up now goldbag I can find them to. Just kidding. This Is my biggest piece yet, between you and eagle you showed me right where to look thanks.

Attachments

• image-2895442798.jpg
    image-2895442798.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 118
  • image-245708197.jpg
    image-245708197.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 147

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol. It's one piece 2 pics. I'm not sure of the weight of my mighty nugget. But it looked like a one ouncer when I saw it in the pan. I honestly didn't think there was going to be anything there. It goes to show you, just cause someone took some dirt out of the hole doesn't mean they got all the gold.

mbumgua

Sep 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this thread about a week ago and just now finished all 43 pages. What great stories Eagle! Thanks for sharing with us. I love reading stories about Mariposa as I was born there many years ago and still own property there west of Mariposa on 140. (40 acres left from my Grandfather's purchase of 2500 acres between Agua Fria and Mariposa). Not living in California right now but visit now and then. There are several gold mines on my place and many more on my uncle's adjacent property. My family has been in the area since 1945. My wife's family has been in Mariposa since gold rush days. Don't stop your writings or there will be many disappointed readers!!!

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this thread about a week ago and just now finished all 43 pages. What great stories Eagle! Thanks for sharing with us. I love reading stories about Mariposa as I was born there many years ago and still own property there west of Mariposa on 140. (40 acres left from my Grandfather's purchase of 2500 acres between Agua Fria and Mariposa). Not living in California right now but visit now and then. There are several gold mines on my place and many more on my uncle's adjacent property. My family has been in the area since 1945. My wife's family has been in Mariposa since gold rush days. Don't stop your writings or there will be many disappointed readers!!!
Welcome mbumgua!!

I don't entend to stop my writing. Though, right now I'm in a quantry. I'm trying to find a place in the Mariposa area to move to. Unfortunately, so far, most places are more than I can afford. All I'm looking for is a small piece of land with a couple of shade trees that I can park my RV under. (lol)

I do have to get out of this town. Last night, I was robbed for the 5th time in the last year or so. This time, they cut the chain on my back gate, then the chainlink to my storage unit. So far, I figure it's cost me about $900 this time. It's hard to concentrate on writing when things like this are on my mind.

Anyway, as I said, welcome to my thread. I hope we'll hear more from you.

Eagle

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
City is no place for a guy who has such a love for the outdoors, might want to check some of the smaller places around Mariposa, Bootjack, Nipanwassee, Mt Bullion, even Oakhurst, only 26 miles from Mariposa, and a large number of retirees there.. JMHO. Best of luck in the hunt....

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle that just sucks. The things they took can be replaced but the piece of mind takes years to come back (as told by the guy who was cleaned out after leaving his garage door opener in his unlocked truck).

If you need any help please feel free to ask.

Perhaps the good that comes out of this is you moving to a place where you feel more 'at home'.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from ya Eagle!!
Hey,you ever use a metal pan??

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle that just sucks. The things they took can be replaced but the piece of mind takes years to come back (as told by the guy who was cleaned out after leaving his garage door opener in his unlocked truck).

If you need any help please feel free to ask.

Perhaps the good that comes out of this is you moving to a place where you feel more 'at home'.
As a matter of fact, I would like to ask you and all of my subscribers to this thread for their help. Or at least, the ones who live in or close to Mariposa, to let me know if you run across any property that I could put a small RV on and have a place to live. I would prefer a secluded area with no close neighbors. I have to let you know up front; My Social Security is only $818.00 monthly, so I can't make large monthly payments. It would be nice if there was a couple or three shade trees for me to park under. Access to fresh water would make it even better. (lol) If buying, I could pay up to $300 monthly. Im not concerned about electric. And, if close enough, I could drive in to the library to use one of their computers for my thread and answering emails.

Anyway, if you hear of anything, just pm me and I'll give you my personal email address.

My thanks to all!!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from ya Eagle!!
Hey,you ever use a metal pan??
Hello My Friend. It's been a while since you've posted here. Glad to hear from you.

Yep, a metal pan is what I prefer and all I've ever used, up to recently. Lately, I've been using a green plastic one since I couldn't find a metal one locally. But, I'll get another metal one eventually. I have to admit that the plastic is lighter, but I don't like the built-in riffles that seem to be the standard these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
City is no place for a guy who has such a love for the outdoors, might want to check some of the smaller places around Mariposa, Bootjack, Nipanwassee, Mt Bullion, even Oakhurst, only 26 miles from Mariposa, and a large number of retirees there.. JMHO. Best of luck in the hunt....

:laughing9: I'd settle for Catheys Valley, or even Hornitos.

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be on the lookout eagle. I hope it works out that way you can also write about your new discoveries.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello My Friend. It's been a while since you've posted here. Glad to hear from you.

Yep, a metal pan is what I prefer and all I've ever used, up to recently. Lately, I've been using a green plastic one since I couldn't find a metal one locally. But, I'll get another metal one eventually. I have to admit that the plastic is lighter, but I don't like the built-in riffles that seem to be the standard these days.

....I didnt see your bad fortune!!!!I will definatly see what I can find,not like your asking for much!!!Calisdad is in those parts too,I pray we can find something.It would be great to have ya up here.

Thanks for what....I already knew,about the pans........JFYI,It was said on here than metal pans were for "tourists" :icon_scratch::icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like ya need a GREAT Caretaker!!!:icon_thumright:

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, the Opals have been shipped and I'm rested up, and ready to continue giving away my secrets. (lol)

He went on to say, “We went back in as far as we could see, by the sunlight coming in through the portal, and there, right at the edge of the light, there was a stack of rotted canvas sacks, and we could see the gold that had poured out of some of them”.

And this, I couldn’t hold back: “Wow, how much gold did you and your partner
get”.

“Nar a bit”. he replied, “There was three skeletons there too, and we warn’t messing 'round where there was any haints”!! (I’ll never forget that word, “haints”. [haunts].)

“So what did you do”? I asked. “Well”, he replied, “The next Sunday, we went back to the tunnel with a dozen sticks of dynamite, and we blasted the portal shut so that nobody would disturb their resting place.

In the next chapter, I go back to Bagby and the North Fork……..

To be continued
I just read this and am banging my head on the wall, ready to pull my hair out. Oh god the second i finish high school, im taking a pick axe and a gun and getting to work

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I didnt see your bad fortune!!!!I will definatly see what I can find,not like your asking for much!!!Calisdad is in those parts too,I pray we can find something.It would be great to have ya up here.

Thanks for what....I already knew,about the pans........JFYI,It was said on here than metal pans were for "tourists" :icon_scratch::icon_thumleft:
THAT was said in my thread??? Let me at em, let me at em!! :censored: :angry4: :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread