The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see that things are still up and runnin' over here Eagle, and it's good to see you're still sharing the treasure tales and the great tips on "how to".

Not only are you a legend, but you're legendary with your generosity to boot!

All the best my friend,

Lanny
Doggone it, you got me blushing again. Thanks for the compliments Brother!!

I haven't been posting nearly enough lately, due to my computer, or this format. Every time I come into Tnet, I have to log in again. Even though I logged in less than an hour earlier. It started this about 3 weeks ago and I haven't figured out how to stay logged in yet. I guess I'll have to have my pc cleaned again.

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed reading your stories very much. I joined TN just so I could thank you. I’ve been planning to get up to the river, but had a bout of sober clumsiness and nearly amputated my pinky toe with the corner of my washing machine. Canceling my plans has really made my fever itch. I think I’ll be good to go about the time you said you might be up there. I’d jump at the chance snipe your brain for nuggets of wisdom over a cup of jo. Let me know what your schedule is looking like?

-Rik

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed reading your stories very much. I joined TN just so I could thank you. I’ve been planning to get up to the river, but had a bout of sober clumsiness and nearly amputated my pinky toe with the corner of my washing machine. Canceling my plans has really made my fever itch. I think I’ll be good to go about the time you said you might be up there. I’d jump at the chance snipe your brain for nuggets of wisdom over a cup of jo. Let me know what your schedule is looking like?

-Rik
Halito Rik,

Thanks for your post!! It's always uplifting to meet some one else who enjoys reading my little adventures.

As things stand right now, I plan on being in Mariposa on the 3rd of October. I'll have my jo with cream and sugar. (lol) Nuggets huh? Well, that's better than pearls. (lol)

I'll post on here Monday, (the 1st) as to when I'll be in Mariposa for sure.

Eagle

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, now, at $1778 an oz., you can't take that as a bash. (lol). I really hope you can make it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doggone it, you got me blushing again. Thanks for the compliments Brother!!

I haven't been posting nearly enough lately, due to my computer, or this format. Every time I come into Tnet, I have to log in again. Even though I logged in less than an hour earlier. It started this about 3 weeks ago and I haven't figured out how to stay logged in yet. I guess I'll have to have my pc cleaned again.

Eagle,

My compliments are very sincere--you've done an incredible job with your thread, and tens of thousands are dropping in to enjoy your willingness to share.

All the best my friend,

Lanny

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokay, for those who are wondering, I plan to leave here early Wednesday morning. (Oct. 03, 2012) I might make a brief stop in Oakhurst if shepcal isn't too busy. From there I'll head towards Mariposa and the home of Goldbag. (Gotta see how much of my gold he's found). (lol) If I don't make it into town on the 3rd, I definitally be there on the 4th. I hope I have an appointment to meet a lovely young lady at here store. (Trying to sell some of my Native American flutes).

Anyway, I hope to meet some of you there, on this trip.

Eagle

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe we can meet up and I can buy you lunch. Will see. Hope you have a great trip. Be fortunate.

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love days like these. Sure makes up for the bad ones.

Attachments

• image-2798533854.jpg
    image-2798533854.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you and goldbag are determined to intice me back up there. Now all I need is for Mariposagold to come in and post a couple of nuggets. (lol)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's how the day ended. Not bad for 1 5 gallon bucket. A little more mariposa treasure found.

Attachments

• image-972910868.jpg
    image-972910868.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 171
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how the day ended. Not bad for 1 5 gallon bucket. A little more mariposa treasure found.

And YOU were the one worried about goldbag starting the "gold rush of 2012"!! (lol)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EagleDown said:
And YOU were the one worried about goldbag starting the "gold rush of 2012"!! (lol)

Now that's funny eagle. I totally forgot about that. Lol. After I found the first bigger pieces of gold, I turned to my wife and said, what am I still doing here. Lol

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle love the thread as allways just wanted to post the Mariposa museum got robbed yesterday 2 million worth of gold and gems stolen.

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Million in gold and gems taken from Mariposa

Just read that the Museum in Mariposa was robbed and the robbers got away with 2 Million in Gems and Gold. Sad day indeed. Mayor

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariposagoldbag sent me the news clip on it 2 or 3 days ago. The California State Mining and Mineral Museum in Mariposa has been robbed | abc30.com
You're right, it is sad. Stupid thieves!! It sounds like an unplanned robbery though. "Armed with a pick-axe"? That might be a new one for history. The saddest part is; the only way that they could sell any of it would be out of the country. I'm not sure about the gems, but with gold, a simple analysis can determine where the gold originated. As good as DNA. Unfortunately, chances are that they might try to disguise it by melting it down, but if they do, that won't even disguise it.
But, it would destroy some beautiful specimens. The gems?

Frankly, I believe that eventually they'll be caught. Their only option at this time would be to bury it in the hopes of getting rid of it in the future, when things have "cooled off".

I predict another "Lost Treasure" story.

Eagle

Last edited:

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
It was great meeting you and GoldBag. Thanks for taking the time to come down there. We didn’t have any success with the rose gold. Still cleaning the black sands from that other spot. From the looks of it, we won’t quite cover the cost of the gas we used to get there. We had fun though.

Nole was thinking of getting a White’s GMT to help us find some spots to sluice. They do any good if you dip the coil under water? Have any suggestions on a model that would do better in that area?

-Rik

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
It was great meeting you and GoldBag. Thanks for taking the time to come down there. We didn’t have any success with the rose gold. Still cleaning the black sands from that other spot. From the looks of it, we won’t quite cover the cost of the gas we used to get there. We had fun though.

Nole was thinking of getting a White’s GMT to help us find some spots to sluice. They do any good if you dip the coil under water? Have any suggestions on a model that would do better in that area?

-Rik
I would reccomend a Goldbug pro. I've watched Mariposagoldbag use his AND find gold with it. I'm impressed! I'm thinking about trading in my MXT. (lol)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle

I tried calling, but your phone wasn't working. Dang it. Lol. How was the trip, or are you still on it?

Houston

Oct 1, 2012
Exeter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all! New to this forum, not to sure how it works. Use to live up in Oakhurst for about 5 years. Now I'm back Exeter, ca. Just getting in to prospecting/treasure hunting. Have got a little gold at friant. Planning on coming up to Briceburg this Friday. Armed with a metal detector, some pans, and a little sluice. Any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread