The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle,

I'd say go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
James
Well My Friend,

I'm definately going to go for it. As you said; Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle, Great pics of my hometown, Hornitos!

Thank you My Friend!! I should meet you there sometime and let you point out the places the rest of our friends might like to see.

By the way, Ill be meeting up with Rik Saturday, "down on the Merced". After a short stop at Cable Rock, (around noon), we'll be heading down to RailRoad Flats. Join us if you can.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLASH ALERT!!

Right outside my door, I have a refridgerator that is
in use. Approx. 5 feet from the fridg. there is a bunch
of shop equip. and boxes, covered with black plastic.

A few minutes ago, Flash was standing at attention,
looking out through the screen door. I figured she had
spotted a mouse and let her out for it. She started sniffing
under the edge of the plastic, then jumping back, before
doing it again. This made me realise that it was something
other than a mouse. So, I went out and lifted a little of the
plastic, just enough to see a little of the markings of a
Western Diamondback. I grabbed the first thing I saw,
(a 12" piece of pipe) and since the rattler was only about
12 or 14" long, I managed to jam the end down on its head
effectively breaking (crushing) its neck.

I guess I'm going to have to quit going out barefoot after
dark, to get something out of the fridg. (lol)

The point being; While out prospecting and metal detecting, keep your eyes and ears open. I've been told that more are being spotted this year than ever before. Stay Safe.

RelicLady

Greenie
Jan 1, 2013
Merced/Hornitos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would be happy to give you a tour of Hornitos! I used to help with the school tours when I was a kid. It's my anniversary this weekend and we did plan on going up to Mariposa. If we decide to, maybe we can meet you and Rik at RailRoad Flats. How is the snake situation up there?

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLASH ALERT!!

Right outside my door, I have a refridgerator that is
in use. Approx. 5 feet from the fridg. there is a bunch
of shop equip. and boxes, covered with black plastic.

A few minutes ago, Flash was standing at attention,
looking out through the screen door. I figured she had
spotted a mouse and let her out for it. She started sniffing
under the edge of the plastic, then jumping back, before
doing it again. This made me realise that it was something
other than a mouse. So, I went out and lifted a little of the
plastic, just enough to see a little of the markings of a
Western Diamondback. I grabbed the first thing I saw,
(a 12" piece of pipe) and since the rattler was only about
12 or 14" long, I managed to jam the end down on its head
effectively breaking (crushing) its neck.

I guess I'm going to have to quit going out barefoot after
dark, to get something out of the fridg. (lol)

The point being; While out prospecting and metal detecting, keep your eyes and ears open. I've been told that more are being spotted this year than ever before. Stay Safe.

wow how exciting. im assuming that flash is a cat since you mentioned the mouse and the behavior displayed by flash as she jumped back when sniffing the snake hidden by the plastic. either way that snake might make for a nice belt or a tasty ingredient in a soup/stew. :cat:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow how exciting. im assuming that flash is a cat since you mentioned the mouse and the behavior displayed by flash as she jumped back when sniffing the snake hidden by the plastic. either way that snake might make for a nice belt or a tasty ingredient in a soup/stew. :cat:
(lol) Actually, Flash is my "Jack Russel" dog. She carries a grudge against mice, every since she caught one in her food bowl last year. (lol) But, she's not particular, she also catches 'pack-rats', 'ground squirrels', and rabbits. Well, she hasn't really caught a rabbit yet, but she has high hopes. (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would be happy to give you a tour of Hornitos! I used to help with the school tours when I was a kid. It's my anniversary this weekend and we did plan on going up to Mariposa. If we decide to, maybe we can meet you and Rik at RailRoad Flats. How is the snake situation up there?
We were on the river this past week-end. I didn't see any snakes, but it was "high noon" when I was there. In any case, if the past is any indication, there should be a lot of rattlers around right now.

I don't believe I will be able to make it to the river this next week-end, as usual, I have to conserve my gasoline money for possible emergencies. Sorry.

Eagle

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(lol) Actually, Flash is my "Jack Russel" dog. She carries a grudge against mice, every since she caught one in her food bowl last year. (lol) But, she's not particular, she also catches 'pack-rats', 'ground squirrels', and rabbits. Well, she hasn't really caught a rabbit yet, but she has high hopes. (lol)

lol ok i feel dumb. i didnt expect dog considering a rodent was thought to be involved. however now that you mention it jack russels are particularly known for hunting vermin and were originally bred to be used in fox hunting. with these dots connected hopefully i dont look as dumb anymore.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol ok i feel dumb. i didnt expect dog considering a rodent was thought to be involved. however now that you mention it jack russels are particularly known for hunting vermin and were originally bred to be used in fox hunting. with these dots connected hopefully i dont look as dumb anymore.
Hey, don't feel dumb Brother. How was you to know?? Believe me, I'm an expert at making dumb mistakes. (lol)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This rattler was sunning on old highway in the evening sun. I respect and enjoy these creatures.

Attachments

• image-2211423421.jpg
    image-2211423421.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 109

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Charles

Any baby yet? I think that sunbather would look better as a hatband.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the campground at railroad flat right next to the river? Also do I have to hike in or can I drive pretty close to it? Thanks if anyone knows.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the campground at railroad flat right next to the river? Also do I have to hike in or can I drive pretty close to it? Thanks if anyone knows.
There are 2 main camping areas; McCabe Flats and RailRoad Flats. You can drive into both campgrounds.

But, at this time of year, it can be hard to find an open camping spot, unless, you get there early on Friday, or go during a week day. After school is out, it's difficult to find an open spot at any time.

One of my pet peeves is that I use to spend the whole Summer (and often the Winter), and never see another soul on the river. Then, in about 1976 there was an artical in "Sunset magazine" about the wonderful trout fishing on the Merced river. Then in 1977, a few campers/fishermen showed up. The following year even more appeared. Then........well, you get the idea. More people = more regulations = Paid camping.

Good luck my friend.

Eagle

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Eagle, are there any other near these you'd recommend I prob won't get up there till 3 or 4 in case these are full and of the two which would you go to.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Eagle, are there any other near these you'd recommend I prob won't get up there till 3 or 4 in case these are full and of the two which would you go to.
Sorry, but I can't answer with any degree of accuracy.

Usually, McCabe Flats fills up first. But, right after the main part of McCabe, to the right of the road, there are 2 camping spots. They don't usually fill up until McCabe is full. Then further down-river, there's Willow Placer, on both sides of the road. The final camp ground is RailRoad Flats.

As for myself, of all the "authorized" camp grounds, I prefer RailRoad Flats.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you nothing beats local knowledge, thanks again for the input very helpful.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI; I've just been informed that Central Valley Prospectors is hosting a mining show at the Fresno County Fairgrounds
this week-end. Should be worth attending. I probably won't make it there before Sunday morning.

If you need a pick to help with your metal detecting, stop by the booth; Mad Mining. Mike has some picks that are great.
And inexpensive. I hope you have a chance to check it out.

Hope to see you there Sunday morning.

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions