The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

JamesH

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle,
I just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have found them both captivating and educational!
Looking forward to reading more and hope your health continues to improve!
Thank you,
James

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Eagle,

Just popping in for a quick hello. I've been running dirt lately from a couple trips I've made up north. No pics yet. I should've taken one from my first 5 gal bucket, second pan of clean out. Divide the trap on the gold pan (10") into thirds. One third of that trap was full of color. First time I've had that much color (I'd guess 50-70 pieces). Now I've got to do the rest 45+ gallons.
One of these days, hopefully soon I'll do a pic of total. Have only done 2 trips to my new hole. So hopefully in a couple weeks I can post total.
I'll post up some pics of another trip showing some current AZ scenery and a friend I found as I hit the trail.
Keep healthy my friend. Someday I'll make a trek to Cali and hopefully learn something from a master.

Attachments

• image-1291271557.jpg
    image-1291271557.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 194
  • image-4259542236.jpg
    image-4259542236.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-4053849916.jpg
    image-4053849916.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 127

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vini's video brought back alot of good memories of Bagby. In his video he isn't thirty feet from where I first started dredging there in 1986. Thats where I learned to dive and dredge it took three weekends to find an ounce of gold. Dan

I've spent whole summers dredging not getting an ounce to show, quite a few matter of fact LOL
Are you up near lake don pedro? doing any gold hunting up there ? lots of areas there...

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle,
I just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have found them both captivating and educational!
Looking forward to reading more and hope your health continues to improve!
Thank you,
James
Halito James,

Thanks for stopping in, and the words of encouragement!!

I have a few more items to take care of, then I'll be posting more of my somewhat foot-loose life. (lol) Plus, I'll be posting some of my adventures "as they happen". So, don't lose this thread my friend.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle,

Just popping in for a quick hello. I've been running dirt lately from a couple trips I've made up north. No pics yet. I should've taken one from my first 5 gal bucket, second pan of clean out. Divide the trap on the gold pan (10") into thirds. One third of that trap was full of color. First time I've had that much color (I'd guess 50-70 pieces). Now I've got to do the rest 45+ gallons.
One of these days, hopefully soon I'll do a pic of total. Have only done 2 trips to my new hole. So hopefully in a couple weeks I can post total.
I'll post up some pics of another trip showing some current AZ scenery and a friend I found as I hit the trail.
Keep healthy my friend. Someday I'll make a trek to Cali and hopefully learn something from a master.
Hokay my friend, I'll be looking for you to make that trip someday. You would be most welcome.

Eagle

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to be rude or anything, and knowing that you are still recovering Eagle, will there be more storys, I really enjoy them. Thanks and best of luck!

-sagar

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be rude or anything, and knowing that you are still recovering Eagle, will there be more stories, I really enjoy them. Thanks and best of luck!

-sagar
Oh, I think I might have a couple more stories. (lol)

One of the problems I have right now is; Before I started this thread, I spent about 3 years posting here and there in other threads. Now, I'm having to re-read my own thread to see what I haven't posted here. And as you know, that's a time consuming exercise. (lol) (Especially as I only have time to read a couple of pages at each sitting). But, it's something I have to do. So hang in there my young friend, it won't be much longer.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rik, let me know when you go back down to the river. Maybe I can meet you there. (Or anybody else for that matter).

I will. I don't have a real job. When my phone rings, I work. So I hesitate to make plans because I hate breaking them. I just got back from Louisianan. I am itching to get down to the river. I'm thinking May 11/12 maybe stay the night. Work or no, I wanna get up there...

dmiser

Sep 22, 2012
Don Pedro
Detector(s) used
White Eagle ll Fisher 1265x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vini I'm between Don pedro and McClure. Just getting back into looking for gold and will be spending some time sniping and detecting McClure and up into the river when water comes up. Pounds of gold found at Bagby dredging weekends only in the 80's early 90's

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year to you too!!

You're right, I met him in August and really liked him. He also bought 4 of my fire opals. (lol) I took some photos of Hornitos and his store. Darn, I don't think I posted them. I guess I'll have to go back a few pages and find out.
Nope, I didn't post them. I guess now as good as any other time. (lol)

The first one speaks for itself.
The second one might be an old "Star-Gate". (lol)
Not sure, but I think the third is the old livery.
Fourth, If it appears to be leaning, that's probably because it is. (lol)
Fifth is the old Wells Fargo Stage Stop and now a store selling relics and gem stones. Stop in, you'll be glad you did.

Attachments

• P1010002a.JPG
    P1010002a.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010003a.JPG
    P1010003a.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010004a.JPG
    P1010004a.JPG
    613.3 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of those look familar, the last one in Hornitos? I stopped in and talked to that guy before. A wealth of knowledge about the area...

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those look familar, the last one in Hornitos? I stopped in and talked to that guy before. A wealth of knowledge about the area...
Yeppers, they're all in Hornitos. I didn't have the time to take photos of all the points of interest though. Next time I'm down that way, I'll collect some more.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand from that guy at the store, that was a wild place in its day. Lots of gold, there but very hard to gain access. Mainly private property, cattle country.Now that you are up in that area, you and MGB should make up some fliers to post on all the bulletien boards of every stop and rob or store that you will come and detect their creek, mine site, tailings pile and share the rewards....

PS. I love the old Ghiradelli choclate building there

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand from that guy at the store, that was a wild place in its day. Lots of gold, there but very hard to gain access. Mainly private property, cattle country.Now that you are up in that area, you and MGB should make up some fliers to post on all the bulletien boards of every stop and rob or store that you will come and detect their creek, mine site, tailings pile and share the rewards....

PS. I love the old Ghiradelli choclate building there
Excellent idea My Brother!! This goes to prove that Great Minds think alike. (lol)

I've been formulating an ad for the local papers to that effect, though I hadn't considered flyers that could be placed on the many bulletin boards in Mariposa and Madera Counties. Thanks for mentioning it!!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to print these flyers and put them on
every bulletin board in Mariposa, Oakhurst and
Coarsegold. What do you think?

Hey, if it goes over good, maybe I can sell franchises. (lol)

GOLD
Do you have gold on your property?
(Or perhaps think you do)
Tri-County Diggers
Can find out for you.
We have “Top Of The Line” Metal detectors
AND
we have the experience to back them up
The first question we are always asked is:
How much is this going to cost me?
Answer: If we find nothing, that is exactly what
it will cost you, NOTHING.
BUT, should we find gold for you, we would expect
to receive 50% in value, or, 50% of the gold. And, you can
accompany us at all times, so that you can see what
we might (or might not) find.
Also; we can mark the location of the finds and/or show
you personally where we found it.
We have a growing reputation for honesty and look forward
to getting your recommendation.
Just call Eagle at: (661) 742-3180
>MINE SITES/MINE TAILINGS/OLD MILL SITES/CREEKS/GULCHES<

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it wouldn't allow me to center the top and the bottom, but you get the idea.

JamesH

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle,

I'd say go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
James

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Eagle; that looks good. Sign me up on that crew.

I am going to be at R/R __ Sun and Mon. Come one, come all...

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Rick

Mothers day weekend, and my youngest is riding steers in the FFA mothers day rodeo... Hope yot coax some nice pieces out of that hill, but keep your head up and watch for them boulders. I am guessing that river has to be roaring..... Good health and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread